New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Slightly damp road grip for the GP5Ks, not great. It’s not Pro One level bad, but I think the Fusions are slightly grippier in all conditions. This shouldn’t be surprising since the GP5Ks are heavier, yet faster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

TobinHatesYou wrote:Slightly damp road grip for the GP5Ks, not great. It’s not Pro One level bad, but I think the Fusions are slightly grippier in all conditions. This shouldn’t be surprising since the GP5Ks are heavier, yet faster.
Not surprised on the GP5Ks. I have found 4ksii to be lacking there.

Interesting on the Pro Ones comment. You've had bad experiences in the wet with them?

Currently pretty impressed with sworks turbo tubeless and so far irc rbcc pros in the wet (eg this AM in SF & Tiburon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Schwalbes in generally are hopeless in the wet comparitively. The schwalbe one was a fast tubekes tyre but really sketchy in the wet. The pro one as a small improvement. I think schwalbe assume the tyre are used by people who don't ride in the wet

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Schwalbes in generally are hopeless in the wet comparitively. The schwalbe one was a fast tubekes tyre but really sketchy in the wet. The pro one as a small improvement. I think schwalbe assume the tyre are used by people who don't ride in the wet

I would not say I railed any turns... but I've been using 28c Pro-Ones in the rain with good results. No sketchy moments so far.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That depends on temperature too. Roads here get very greasy when it cool and wet. All I know with schwalbe tubeless tyres the back end of my bike is not stable and I take corners very carefully because I always feel like I'm on the wrong line on a bend.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

sethjs wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:Slightly damp road grip for the GP5Ks, not great. It’s not Pro One level bad, but I think the Fusions are slightly grippier in all conditions. This shouldn’t be surprising since the GP5Ks are heavier, yet faster.
Not surprised on the GP5Ks. I have found 4ksii to be lacking there.

Interesting on the Pro Ones comment. You've had bad experiences in the wet with them?

Currently pretty impressed with sworks turbo tubeless and so far irc rbcc pros in the wet (eg this AM in SF & Tiburon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting to hear about the wet weather performance of these.

IME GP4000S2 has very good wet weather grip and I thought that is the general perception too, so it's surprising to hear that the GP5K is not good in the wet. Different tyre than the GP4000S2 of course, but you would think Continental would bring forward the tech to allow good wet weather grip.

Also there are also a few recent comments in this thread about the GP4000S2 not being so good either. Very interesting.

refthimos

by refthimos

sethjs wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 am
I live in sunny SoCal and since it doesn't rain much here, I tend to largely avoid wet roads (Zwift with the NEO is the preferred wet road option for me), but I have had my Pro Ones (23c at 80psi) loose grip on wet corners when I wouldn't have expected it. In each case, I stayed up, but having your rear wheel slide out when it really shouldn't is never fun.

But since, like I said, I barely ride wet roads, it's still Pro Ones tubeless for me.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just mounted the non-TL 28mm version on my 21C Hed Belgium Plus rims. Actual measured width is 29mm after one ride.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Did a practice crit today with the 25mm TLs at 75/80psi and they had decent dry grip vs my minor complaint about the damp grip yesterday. Also the tires have not stretched beyond the measurements seen in the first 24 hours. My rear is measuring 27.2mm on average, front 26.8mm.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Good grip in the wet gear junkie relative to what though. Let's take the best wet grip tubed clincher, the Vittoria pave, the conti Gp4000s next to them don't have good wet grip. Compare to a gatorskin and the wet grip is excellent.

Also by drooping rolling resistance that does affect grip. It is also not fair to compare tubed and tubeless tyres. The tube makes a big difference.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am

Also by drooping rolling resistance that does affect grip. It is also not fair to compare tubed and tubeless tyres. The tube makes a big difference.

Are you implying that the friction between the tube and inside of the tire affects grip? Not directly. Deformity and lower pressures changing the contact patch would, sure. The more likely answer is that a better rolling, but less grippy rubber tread compound is being used.

sethjs

by sethjs

Having now put ~250 miles on IRC RBCC Pro 25c run tubeless in and around SF, some quick thoughts:

Haven't pushed them hard in the wet (though ~200 of the 250 miles have been wet) - they gave me no cause for concern.
They do feel abnormally high traction to me in the dry. Confidence inspiring in a way I find few other tires to be. They make less noise when you lean into a turn - but not in a "because I'm not biting in" way. But rather they feel like they're very well hookedup with the road.
They area rather easily compromised by glass. I've had to pull out a number of small to large shards - well more than I'd have to have done at this point for Specialized Turbos. They don't seem to embed right in the center of the tire - must be a harder compound. But I keep finding them in off to the sides, where the compound must be softer.
They also picked up some metal.
They've not yet flatted though - the Orange Seal is keeping them together.
They were much harder to get on the rim (CLX 50) than the Specialized Turbos (Tubeless).

Net: they feel very safe. I have no idea how fast they are of course. They take up road debris easily. But they seem to seal up well, too.

Beaver

by Beaver

On the German Tour Forum Lightweight posted a comparison between the aerodynamics of the 4000S II 25mm vs. GP 5000 25mm.

https://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthrea ... ost5848932

At 45km/h the GP 5000 was up to 10 watts worse at high angles - seems a bit odd. The profile has changed a bit, but does it make such a big difference? And the 4000S II is also 1mm higher and wider...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Currently running Corsa Control 25mm on 23mm ID rims, with butyl tubes at the moment. Will be swapping to latex soon. At 55 psi they are 28mm. Pretty nice ride.

How would the lateral grip of some of the new tubeless road tires compare to them? I'm well versed in all things tubeless, having run it for a decade plus on my MTBs. Not concerned about setup; I've got the experience and equipment to do that.

Tires I'm looking at are GP5k TL, S-Works Turbo, and IRC Formula Pro RBCC. Anything else to consider? Having read reviews on the Pro One, that's not being considered.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I put on a set of GP5k 28 clinchers and found they do not have very good wet weather grip. Thankfully I learned this from climbing on them (ie 15 degree hills) in the wet and struggling with them spinning and not flying around a corner. I did not have trouble on the same roads with the old GP4ks and others in my group ride did not have trouble either on the same roads. They are coming off for the winter but I may try them again in the summer when there is less rain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com