New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Marin

by Marin

parajba wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:29 pm
Even to fill small gaps caused by removed flints which did not cause a puncture? Or should I leave them as they are?
Leave them, you only need to glue if you can see the casing or are losing air.

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

on the topic on lever for GP5000TL, my suggestion is 2 x Schwalbe tyre levers for the grip & 1 x Park Tool tyre lever for the "lift" to install.

2 x Park Tool tyre levers to remove the tyre.

See https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/15 & https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-lever-set-tl-4-2

My wheelset is a Giant SLR 1 that come stock with the Giant TCR Adv. It is really a pain to install compared with Schwalble pro one.
But it is noticibly roll faster for the Gp5000TL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

i still have not found them hard to install. they mostly fit by hand for me ad the last bit goes on with a lever. Even with the tightest rim tyre combo i hold one side of the unmounted bead with my thumb and roll the tyre black with the palm of my hand and with the other hand I use an IRC tubeless lever to lever it on. I never get the bead popping off. I must have the knack.

This is all technique. it can be learned. I showed noobs and one was a small lady the in and outs in a recent workshop and after I showed them all the tricks none had trouble. So all complaints of gosh these are tight means you have skills to learn. If I say gosh its tight it so effing tight that perhaps its not a good combo. This may sound like i am blowing my own trumpet but my experience tells me otherwise.

The one thing most people dont do is effective chasing the slack around the tyre. for that soapy water has to be used athoer you dont move any of the slack but there is a skill to this and once you have learnt it very few tyres are a difficult fit.

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 pm
i still have not found them hard to install. they mostly fit by hand for me ad the last bit goes on with a lever. Even with the tightest rim tyre combo i hold one side of the unmounted bead with my thumb and roll the tyre black with the palm of my hand and with the other hand I use an IRC tubeless lever to lever it on. I never get the bead popping off. I must have the knack.

This is all technique. it can be learned. I showed noobs and one was a small lady the in and outs in a recent workshop and after I showed them all the tricks none had trouble. So all complaints of gosh these are tight means you have skills to learn. If I say gosh its tight it so effing tight that perhaps its not a good combo. This may sound like i am blowing my own trumpet but my experience tells me otherwise.

The one thing most people dont do is effective chasing the slack around the tyre. for that soapy water has to be used athoer you dont move any of the slack but there is a skill to this and once you have learnt it very few tyres are a difficult fit.
totally agree :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Madone69

by Madone69

Hi All

Anyone try these Vredestein Tubeless tyres ....how are they compared to the GP5000Tl & Pro Ones
Attachments
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
image011.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 1667 times

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 pm

So, tried for over an hour to mount the 5000 TL on my new LB rims with only my hands. Just could not do it. Remembered this thread and re read your post. I was trying without levers. I tried with levers, and it was on in a snap. Almost.

I thought that one was not meant to use levers for mounting a tyre? I see that they do leave some marks on the finish of the carbon rims. Are you OK with that?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Why would you not use levers to mount tyres. I have said it before and I will say it again. Tubeless tyres need to to be tight. One for easy inflation with the method I have described (sappy water dilute and floor pump) and two for the tyre to remian seated if there is no air. Tubeless tyres that are hand fit, may inflate with compressed air but don't reliability stay seat if you flat.

Levers were invented for a reason nirc make them specifically for there tubeless tyres. So do schwalbe so why not use them.. this is not some macho contest to see who can mount the tightest tyre by hand.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Why would you not use levers to mount tyres. I have said it before and I will say it again. Tubeless tyres need to to be tight. One for easy inflation with the method I have described (sappy water dilute and floor pump) and two for the tyre to remian seated if there is no air. Tubeless tyres that are hand fit, may inflate with compressed air but don't reliability stay seat if you flat.

Levers were invented for a reason nirc make them specifically for there tubeless tyres. So do schwalbe so why not use them.. this is not some macho contest to see who can mount the tightest tyre by hand.
I had gotten the impression that using levers to mount tyres was a bad thing. I must have wasted a few days of my life over the last 4 years mounting tyres by hand only.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f, you can say it over and over again, but your points simply aren’t true.

Tight beads are harder to inflate/initially seat. The combination of volume/pressure from the pump has to overcome friction. Looser beads are not a problem, I have never seen a bead so loose that it doesn’t conform tightly around the center channel of a tubeless rim. Having to lube the tire bead to pop it out of the center channel shouldn’t be a requirement.

I have never had a UST tire pop out from the bead lock, but that has happened with my GP5K TL. Bead shape is more important than tire diameter here. If anything, a tire with a tighter bead will be under constant tension and want to unseat itself more than an ideally paired UST tire and rim.

It’s a logical fallacy to say tire levers exist because tires shouldn’t be mountable by hand.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just to add to this.

I had big issues getting the tyres to fit my DT Swiss rims.

Having just mounted a set on a pair of Enve 3.4's almost all by hand, it is definitely the rim not the tyre!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

petert123

by petert123

ryanw wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 am
Having just mounted a set on a pair of Enve 3.4's almost all by hand, it is definitely the rim not the tyre!
My experience too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ryanw wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 am
Just to add to this.

I had big issues getting the tyres to fit my DT Swiss rims.

It's both. The tolerances are so tight that even a total deviation by 1.5mm in diameter is enough to wreak havoc.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

@bm0p700f & @dim, why not make a video on how you mount the tire? That would save days for many people

Stitchking

by Stitchking

TobinHatesYou wrote:bm0p700f, you can say it over and over again, but your points simply aren’t true.

Tight beads are harder to inflate/initially seat. The combination of volume/pressure from the pump has to overcome friction. Looser beads are not a problem, I have never seen a bead so loose that it doesn’t conform tightly around the center channel of a tubeless rim. Having to lube the tire bead to pop it out of the center channel shouldn’t be a requirement.

I have never had a UST tire pop out from the bead lock, but that has happened with my GP5K TL. Bead shape is more important than tire diameter here. If anything, a tire with a tighter bead will be under constant tension and want to unseat itself more than an ideally paired UST tire and rim.

It’s a logical fallacy to say tire levers exist because tires shouldn’t be mountable by hand.
Vittoria corsa tl on zipp 404. So loose it wont even try to inflate.

Just as an example. 2 ends of the spectrum i think. Large bead diameter tyre. Small bead seat diameter rim.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Jeez, i wouldn't trash my hands trying to get a tight bead over a rim. Use a tyre lever every time. The good thing with tubeless is there's no inner tube to worry about putting a hole into.