New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

Miller wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 pm
Jeez, i wouldn't trash my hands trying to get a tight bead over a rim. Use a tyre lever every time. The good thing with tubeless is there's no inner tube to worry about putting a hole into.
Yes, but it leaves some marks on carbon rims. Faint but still. Any ideas on how to prevent that?

Miller

by Miller

I have not found that to be the case myself but maybe I'm less fussy. Just riding a bike causes wear and tear all over anyway. Still, wide and flat tyre levers probably help. The posh Silca levers are carbon specific. I have a pair although I don't reach for them any more than a cheapie tacx set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have never left marks on any rim that don't come off with a bit of IPA. I don't mean the beer. That would be a waste.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:16 am
I have never left marks on any rim that don't come off with a bit of IPA. I don't mean the beer. That would be a waste.
Thanks. No IPA at hand, but I usually use brake cleaner sprays for cleaning. Safe on carbon rims?

parajba

by parajba

Report after around 400-500km of use on crappy UK roads. 100 km with some rain and debris on road, rest was dry.

Strong tyres, quite comfortable over large potholes at speed, but not so comfy over small ones (?).

Only 1 tiny 0.5-1mm flint mark (flint has been removed). Other than that, tyres look like new.

Grip on wet is ok but nothing special, definitely not as good as my Competitition tubulars.

Running 25mm, I am 68kg, pressure 75PSI front and 80PSI rear.

TimW

by TimW

ryanw wrote:Just to add to this.

I had big issues getting the tyres to fit my DT Swiss rims.

Having just mounted a set on a pair of Enve 3.4's almost all by hand, it is definitely the rim not the tyre!
Me too. I thought German and Swiss precision..going to be easy...how wrong I was. Absolute nightmare. Very close to giving up.

Road feel 25mm at 75/80 psi is excellent though, reminded me of riding corsa with latex.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

I mounted today one on dt pr 1400, not too complicated with levers, but the tyre is stuck in the center channel and no way it was going to pop out with the track pump. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhalmar

by jhalmar

^ Use booster https://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereade ... asier.html or compressor to pop it up.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

yinya wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm
I mounted today one on dt pr 1400, not too complicated with levers, but the tyre is stuck in the center channel and no way it was going to pop out with the track pump. Any advice?

Soap solution and a compressor

dim

by dim

yinya wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:14 pm

add 30ml sealant, then pump with a track pump
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1400-1500mi (all race conditions or climbing/descending) on this rear tire. Looks like it still has 1000mi left in it to my eyes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qff38ywzq7oku ... .jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/livz35nraqmcc ... .jpg?raw=1
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

looks like you have done well not to sq. off.. I always sq'd 4000S2 in no time flat... that and I'm fatter then you.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

No doubt system weight matters. I also consider myself very efficient at energy conservation. I sit up or slide slightly out of the draft to slow down rather than feather the brakes most of the time. I let gaps open before corners when I am tailgunning as not to run into the back of others.

Nonetheless, I am impressed with the wear rate. With Corsa G1.0s I only got 1200-1300mi out of the rear before the center rib was completely gone.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The GP5Ks don't sqaure off as badly as the GP4Ks. I don't know the reason for sure but perhaps the rubber contour on the GP5K better matches the wear rate contour.

I usually ride Contis until I see one or two spots with exposed threads from the casing. When this happens the tire is still safe since 99% of the tire still has rubber over the casing. The 'bald' spots are just areas where the rubber is at the thinnest. But of course puncture protection is significantly reduced when the tire is this worn.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

posted this on the Vittoria Corsa thread yesterday:

As of today, I have ridden 1,569.6km on the Continental GP5000 TL (25's), and I have ridden on poor potholed roads, in the wet and dry.

I'm impressed, and can say that I really like these. Zero punctures, and the tyres still look very good. Grip is good even in the wet. I think that there are still many miles left in these.

I will buy another set middle of next month and keep them till I need to replace the current set
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand