New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:46 am
^^ sorry man, I basically did these by hand on my Roval CLX50s.. easist I've ever tried.. 28mm for me
I hate you

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

alexroseinnes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 am
Directed at all the smug people who mounted these tires easily ;) I'm having an absolute nightmare with my 32mm ones. Done all the tricks and only mounted the front tire so far on my Hollowgram Knot 45s. ONce mounted, they seat and seal really well. Broken multiple levers so far. It really shouldn't be this hard. Had I not spent so much money on the tyres, I'd have given up two days ago. Ordered some of the no pinch levers mentioned in this thread and will see how they go. Clearly any road side punture that won't seal or plug is going to involve a cab ride home. Absolutely no way I can get these back on the rim on the road.

Obviously the rim matters, and I guess I'll be be going for hookless in any future wheelset.
buy some Reynolds Aero blk label wheels and your struggles will wash away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

alexroseinnes wrote:
Clearly any road side punture that won't seal or plug is going to involve a cab ride home. Absolutely no way I can get these back on the rim on the road.
Except for the fact that they loosen up considerably after the first installation.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

alexroseinnes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:46 am
^^ sorry man, I basically did these by hand on my Roval CLX50s.. easist I've ever tried.. 28mm for me
I hate you
oh and the tires are not for hookless rims.. btw
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

emotive

by emotive

alexroseinnes wrote:
Directed at all the smug people who mounted these tires easily ;) I'm having an absolute nightmare with my 32mm ones. Done all the tricks and only mounted the front tire so far on my Hollowgram Knot 45s. ONce mounted, they seat and seal really well. Broken multiple levers so far. It really shouldn't be this hard. Had I not spent so much money on the tyres, I'd have given up two days ago. Ordered some of the no pinch levers mentioned in this thread and will see how they go. Clearly any road side punture that won't seal or plug is going to involve a cab ride home. Absolutely no way I can get these back on the rim on the road.

Obviously the rim matters, and I guess I'll be be going for hookless in any future wheelset.
I helped a mate put a set of 32mm GP5000 on his hookless Clement Ushuaia gravel wheels a few weeks ago. Once I had the tyre in the centre channel, I was able to pull them over the bead by hand, wearing gloves, but no levers needed. I dont think the install went easy because they are hookless. Are you sure you have squeezed the tyre into the centre channel of the wheel, opposite where you are trying to get the tyre over the rim?

kevinw

by kevinw

dim wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:22 pm
has anyone noticed that the current GP5000 TL don't have the little stringy things anymore on the sidewalls (where the tyre meets the rim)?
Still no strings?

I moved away from GP5000TLs after my experiences with an early batch but if they have made improvements I might be tempted back.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

kevinw wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm
Still no strings?
For now. My current pair doesn't have any string issue after about 2000km.

In June/July I reported the issue here, and got them replaced by r2-bike. In between, I tried the Vittoria Corsa 2, and the Controls, but came back to GP5000.

AJS914

by AJS914

2,000 miles on a set of the 5000TL 25mm tires and zero problems and no flats (that I've noticed).

dorin

by dorin

I used tubolitos for the last 9months or so, liked how light they were, unfortunately they puncture fairly easily. I live in Switzerland, we have excellent roads, I usually have abt 1-2 punctures per year, but since using the tubolito had plenty. In the spur of the moment I decided to try the 5000TL, got them last night. Putting them on 404 NSW required tyre levers, still fairly easy installation. After I heard of a story of tyre popping out with fresh sealant with a royal mess I wanted to see if I can inflate them without sealant with floorpump. All went well, heard the “bedding” sound twice, they seem hooked in.

On tires with tubes I usually check when it has little pressure to grab it and twist it to make sure is hooked in properly, is this step needed on TL? And how do you even do it, once it hooked is pretty much there..

I decided to try the MilkIt sealant, I just have few practical questions:
- when the sealant is replaced after how many times is advised to take out the tyre and clean the dried sealant?
- I’ll get a plug kit, how big are the chances a plug and CO2 cannot fix? I assume that is only in cases of major cuts right? Never had something g like this and wonder if carrying a tube is really needed. I was thinking to have with me the tubolito road (the super thin one) but I imagine if I need to use it it’ll be due a massive cut, it may be rendered useless anyway...
- I imagine tubes are also needed if the sealant dried and the rider wasn’t aware, am I right?
- now that my tyre is hooked in, I can simply deflate, put the sealing via the valve and simply inflate it, or is it best if first hooking is done with sealant in the tyre?

Thanks a mil for the help, I’m pretty sure some of these were answered but is a 68 pages long thread and I wish was a search function only within the thread...

alanyu

by alanyu

dorin wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 am
I used tubolitos for the last 9months or so, liked how light they were, unfortunately they puncture fairly easily. I live in Switzerland, we have excellent roads, I usually have abt 1-2 punctures per year, but since using the tubolito had plenty. In the spur of the moment I decided to try the 5000TL, got them last night. Putting them on 404 NSW required tyre levers, still fairly easy installation. After I heard of a story of tyre popping out with fresh sealant with a royal mess I wanted to see if I can inflate them without sealant with floorpump. All went well, heard the “bedding” sound twice, they seem hooked in.

On tires with tubes I usually check when it has little pressure to grab it and twist it to make sure is hooked in properly, is this step needed on TL? And how do you even do it, once it hooked is pretty much there..

- when the sealant is replaced after how many times is advised to take out the tyre and clean the dried sealant?
- I’ll get a plug kit, how big are the chances a plug and CO2 cannot fix? I assume that is only in cases of major cuts right? Never had something g like this and wonder if carrying a tube is really needed. I was thinking to have with me the tubolito road (the super thin one) but I imagine if I need to use it it’ll be due a massive cut, it may be rendered useless anyway...
- I imagine tubes are also needed if the sealant dried and the rider wasn’t aware, am I right?
- now that my tyre is hooked in, I can simply deflate, put the sealing via the valve and simply inflate it, or is it best if first hooking is done with sealant in the tyre?

Thanks a mil for the help, I’m pretty sure some of these were answered but is a 68 pages long thread and I wish was a search function only within the thread...
1, I'm too lazy so I clean the tubeless when I feel my wheel is too heavy or unbalanced.

2, Massive cut or large hole. I take a tube in the saddle bag.
I've asked which tube is better as a backup here and was suggested take a light butyl.

3, I also take a set of patch. If the cut/hole is too large that can't be fixed by plug, I will first patch it from inside to avoid tube explosion.

4, adding sealent first or second are both OK as long as you can inflate the tyre.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

kevinw wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm
dim wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:22 pm
has anyone noticed that the current GP5000 TL don't have the little stringy things anymore on the sidewalls (where the tyre meets the rim)?
Still no strings?

I moved away from GP5000TLs after my experiences with an early batch but if they have made improvements I might be tempted back.
They've changed some things from the early runs to today. They are grippier and the strings are gone.

AJS914

by AJS914

dorin wrote:
I'd say never unless you have a specific reason. I cleaned out my gravel bike tires last summer only because I wanted to try a new type of sealant. The ball of latex left after two years only weighed around 25 grams. It was nothing.

I just topped up my GP5000TLs (Orange Seal) after four months of usage. I still had 30mls of sealant in them. The GP5000TLs seem so well sealed that sealant doesn't evaporate very quickly at all for me.

dorin

by dorin

Many thanks for the tips. Impressed on the ease of the setup. Although I heard the popping noise at the first install I was surprised to see some sealant between tire and rim, wiped it out, didn’t come again. Shall I be worried and take it off & restart the entire process?

Jugi

by Jugi

dorin wrote:Shall I be worried and take it off & restart the entire process?
Nope, completely normal. Most likely this individual rim+tire pairing would have had a slow leak at the bead. Sealant solved that. Go ride & be happy.

BTW, if you are worried about the tires seating properly, it's simple to check visually either by going around the sidewall and making sure it's symmetrically positioned all the way around and the same on both sides, or by spinning the wheel. When spun, a seated tire can have a very slight wobble from side to side (more common in MTB tires) but it shouldn't have any noticeable vertical hop in relation to the rim's edge.

Miller

by Miller

dorin wrote:
This is a genuine risk and it has happened to me. There is a clue that your sealant has gone, however, which is if the tyre isn't holding air pressure as well as it used to. That can mean all the sealant is gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com