New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

jencvo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 pm
Reading 20 pages of such mixed opinions... for those hating on Continental, what TL tires do you use? Weight is what's really putting me off with GP 5000s
I am on Mavic USTs. Good tyre and my next purchase was going to be Hurchisons (lighter and faster at the cost of some puncture protection). But to me, the 150g of total weight savings of those over Conti TLs are outweighed by the latter’s low CRR.

That said, I do wish Conti did not bother with the liner in the tyre and just made a TLR version of 250-260g. That would be the perfect tyre, IMO.

Marin

by Marin

Agreed. I wonder if you can run the Non-TL ones tubeless. Can anyone post a pic of the bead, and maybe cut one in half? ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

dont run a the standard GP5000 tubeless. it may work to start with, may but your setting your self up for a fail later.

You wont notice the extra weight of the conti tl tyre. IRC RBCC tyres in 25mm are lined with latex and are 25g lighter. The mavic UST tyres which is the same tyre as the hutchinson fusion5 performance are also good tyres. Where IRC and MAvic/hutchinson tyres differ is puncture resistance, wear rate and rolling resistance. There is a trade off.

jencvo

by jencvo

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm
jencvo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 pm
Reading 20 pages of such mixed opinions... for those hating on Continental, what TL tires do you use? Weight is what's really putting me off with GP 5000s
I am on Mavic USTs. Good tyre and my next purchase was going to be Hurchisons (lighter and faster at the cost of some puncture protection). But to me, the 150g of total weight savings of those over Conti TLs are outweighed by the latter’s low CRR.

That said, I do wish Conti did not bother with the liner in the tyre and just made a TLR version of 250-260g. That would be the perfect tyre, IMO.
What model hutchinsons?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jencvo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:10 pm

What model hutchinsons?
Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm TLR, Mavic Yksion Pro UST, Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm TLR, Hutchinson Fusion 5 All-Season is the pecking order. The Galactiks weigh ~220g. The only difference between any of the 11Storm Fusion 5s is tread thickness...they all use the same rubber compound and construction.

As far as Continental not including the inner butyl liner, I don’t believe that was an option. The GP5K is a bit of a “hybrid” construction. It uses 3 layers of spun nylon, and on top of the nylon is a very thin coating of rubber as a rudimentary protective layer against abrasion. This is not like other tires which are vulcanized bead to bead.

zefs

by zefs

They don't use the same puncture protection though, Galactik's use Hardskin for TLR and Reinforced for the rest line up (TL/tubed), Performance uses Hardskin for TLR and Kevlar Pro for the rest and All Season is the same as Performance. Basically the Tubeless Ready ones use different reinforcement, how much difference it makes I don't know but they are lighter and cut easier.

So I guess if you are going for the Performance or All Season it would be wiser to use the better reinforcement instead of the TLR versions depending on riding conditions/season of year.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Except I’m specifically talking about the TLR versions...which, as I already said, all use the same casing.

With tubeless, it’s not really crucial to get a tire with an aramid layer. You accept that you might puncture and 90% of the time the sealant will do its job. The TL versions are a bit pointless IMO.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm very impressed with the GP5K 28mm non-TL version. They feel very fast, supple, and they make a nice whirring sound that was not present on the GP4K. I have been a long-time GP4K user and the difference was dramatic and immediately noticeable. The 28mm measure 27.5mm wide on my Campy Bora 17C wheels. So the 28mm GP5K is only very slightly wider than the 25mm GP4K. I really like the 27.5mm actual width....not too narrow and not too wide. For a winter/climbing wheelset (Bora 35) it's perfect. Not sure yet what I'll run on my summer wheelset (Bora 50).

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm
jencvo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:10 pm

What model hutchinsons?
Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm TLR, Mavic Yksion Pro UST, Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11Storm TLR, Hutchinson Fusion 5 All-Season is the pecking order. The Galactiks weigh ~220g. The only difference between any of the 11Storm Fusion 5s is tread thickness...they all use the same rubber compound and construction.

As far as Continental not including the inner butyl liner, I don’t believe that was an option. The GP5K is a bit of a “hybrid” construction. It uses 3 layers of spun nylon, and on top of the nylon is a very thin coating of rubber as a rudimentary protective layer against abrasion. This is not like other tires which are vulcanized bead to bead.
Some work to do for Conti then. I dunno- impregnate nylon with latex or something to make it airtight. It’s just as you said earlier, there are always compromises. Hutchison is lighter but worse CRR, durability and puncture protection. Mavic is slower than Hitchison yet, still lighter than Conti and about the same puncture protection - but that 3.5 watts or so difference per wheeel vs Conti is a lot to swallow. Vitoria’s are fastest bar none but are really too thin with very little durability and puncture protection, and by all accounts a huge pain to put on. Conti’s are fast, but weigh 100g more than I’d like - and you can spend a lot of time (or money or both) trying to find that 100g to wean off your bike elsewhere.

Would be nice to have a “no compromises” best choice. Alas, this is real life and that’s not a choice we have.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Mavic Yskion UST should be compared to the Hutchinson fusion5 TLR performace. If you compare the hutchinson fusion 5 galtik it is slower but thats not a fair comparision.

Puncture protection layers in tubeless tyres are useful for me anyway. I dont like puncturing.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jarno's test use a 42.5kg load at 28.8km/h. The difference between a Fusion Galactik and GP5K TL at 80psi is about 2.4W. x2 for two tires.

So let's assume a real world condition of a 85kg system weight up an 8% grade at 14.4km/h. The rolling efficiency will be roughly halved...so back down to around 2.4W total. So it's 2.4W vs 150g.

With bikecalculator an 85kg rider+bike going 14.4km/h up 8% is pushing 313W. An 85.15kg rider+bike pushing 315.4W is going 14.46km/h. You might lose more during accelerations and such, but it's so close even at low speeds that the weight savings doesn't overcome the better rolling efficiency. Now add flat ground and the obvious winner is the GP5K TL.

Marin

by Marin

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm
IRC RBCC tyres
Is there any rolling resistance data for the IRCs? I've never found any :(

MXGimp

by MXGimp

I couldn't get the GP 5K TL 700-25's mounted on my bontrager aeolus rims......now I have a set unused for sale if someone is looking for a deal. $140 shipped to your door in the Cont US.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MXGimp wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 am
I couldn't get the GP 5K TL 700-25's mounted on my bontrager aeolus rims......now I have a set unused for sale if someone is looking for a deal. $140 shipped to your door in the Cont US.
set the bead you mean ?

through tubes in there..wait 24hours and retry tubeless..success rate will be higher.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Or if you're using the proprietary Trek/Bontrager rim strip, chuck it away and use 3M 8992 green poly tape (or some other suitable "tubeless" rim tape.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com