New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yup. I'm using lightweight buytl tubes currently on 28mm GP5K. I have predicated that I'm within 1w to a TL on a single wheel. Since I have two Bora wheelsets it would be a big investment to change over to TL wheelsets (I need a shallow depth wheelset for winter/windy days). And I won't use latex due to bad experiences with them in the past. So far the light tubes are doing just fine but I change them out if they are close to one year old.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The conti is not hard to mount. Its a well sized tyre.
If you buy into tubeless tyres because you think they will be faster then your picking Tubeless for the wrong reason. Also latex tubes are not problem fee and are expensive.

Anyway I'm now puncturing daily on these. After2000km the rear tyre obviously has got a bit thin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:35 pm
The conti is not hard to mount. Those that are having issues are not doing it right. Its a well sized tyre.
If you buy into tubeless tyre because you think they will be faster then your picking Tubeless for the wrong reason. Also latex tubes are not problem fee and are expensive.

Anyway I'm now puncturing daily on these. After2000km the rear tyre obviously has got a bit thin.

We've seen enough posts from proficient individuals here to confirm that the GP5K TLs are pretty difficult to mount. I've mounted IRC Formula Pros, Hutchinson Fusion 5s, Sectors, Mavic Yksion Pros, Panaracer Race A Evo 3s, Schwalbe Pro Ones, Pirelli Cintuatos, Bontrager R3 TLRs, Vittoria Corsa Speeds, etc. The GP5K TLs were up there with Corsa Speeds in terms of tightness.

pjctyk

by pjctyk

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:45 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:35 pm
The conti is not hard to mount. Those that are having issues are not doing it right. Its a well sized tyre.
If you buy into tubeless tyre because you think they will be faster then your picking Tubeless for the wrong reason. Also latex tubes are not problem fee and are expensive.

We've seen enough posts from proficient individuals here to confirm that the GP5K TLs are pretty difficult to mount. I've mounted IRC Formula Pros, Hutchinson Fusion 5s, Sectors, Mavic Yksion Pros, Panaracer Race A Evo 3s, Schwalbe Pro Ones, Pirelli Cintuatos, Bontrager R3 TLRs, Vittoria Corsa Speeds, etc. The GP5K TLs were up there with Corsa Speeds in terms of tightness.
My Corsa Speeds wouldn't go on without tyre levers, the 5000TL went on with my thumbs but were tight. Hutchinson Fusion 5s were very easy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There was no way I was getting my 25mm GP5K TLs without levers on ENVE SES 5.6s. There was someone in this thread who returned his tires because he couldn’t get them on his rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I find them easy to mount, I am fairly proficient. So what if you have to use levers. why are people obsessed with tubeless tyres that mount without levers. Just because you have to use levers does not means it hard. That what the lever is for. Its not problem if you use levers there is no effing tube to pinch.

Where it gets hard is when using levers it is really diffuclt to mount or it mounts and then it really hard to unmount. Getting any tyre onto a Ryde Trace trail 25 rim is very hard even with the right levers. A tubeless tyre is actually impossible, and impossible for me. Thats hard.

Look at this way do you want your car tyres to be hand fit. Nope is the answer. However with the right tool fitting a car tyre is not hard it is just a skill.
The same applies to tubeless bicyle tyres. So long as you have the right levers (I do) and a modicum of skill then it matters little if you have to use them to mount and unmount the tyre. The right tools make a job easy, without them it is difficult, that includes some dilute fairy liquid (other brands are available of course). This is the way with most things. Get the right tools and stop trying to force tyre manufacturers to make tyres that fit by hand alone and comprmise the secuirty of the resulting fit, because you all want them to fit like a tubed tyre (and even though there a standard for these some are alot easier to fit than others). I bet half the pople who struggle with tubeless tyre mounting on here don't chase the slack around the rim. When I see most people mount a tyre, they go straight for the lever when it gets tight (even shop mechanics do this). Chase the slack..... it really helps.

I am getting quite tired of it must be easy to mount by hand without effort trope. We as human's invented levers and different kinds of levers for different applications, a long time ago for a very good reason. Yet the modern day cyslist is such a cotton wool creature nothing can help them. you may wonder why Continental have decided on the sizing they have it because it's the right sizing. If that sizing means tubeless is not for you then stick to tubes. If however your willing to learn a modicum of skill then go for it.

the IRC Formula Pro tyres, Conti TL, Schwalbe Pro ones and oddly the Mavic UST tyres seems to size similarly to me. I use levers (IRC) on all of these. Its easy with them well may not from a leverage point of view but I can get the lever under the bead easily and it does not jump out either and that half the job done. The rims I have mounted these tyres to the most is the Mavic OP UST and the kinlin XR series rims. They are the gold standard of tubeless in my book because the fit is secure and of course possible.

This forum is full of muddled thinking and people want unicorns. Easy fit tubeless tyres, that stay securely seated without pressure when detergent is present (then with sealant present, it wont unseat if you flat at speed) and that inflate easily, is that unicorn. You can have those things with a tyre that generally will mount with levers to a properly sized and shaped rim. Even hutchinson tyre's on a Kinlin rim is a lever job well that because I'm lazy and dont like hard work.

yes I am ranting (and I dont know why). yes I am tired and about to go to bed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s not about using levers. It’s that they were awful to mount even with levers.

And yes Hutchinsons satisfy all my requirements. They’re easy to mount and stay seated at zero psi on every kind of rim I own, even my Ailerons. They’re slower than GP5Ks of course, but I don’t TT so squeezing every last watt out of my equipment isn’t much concern.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 am
I find them easy to mount, I am fairly proficient. So what if you have to use levers. why are people obsessed with tubeless tyres that mount without levers. Just because you have to use levers does not means it hard. That what the lever is for. Its not problem if you use levers there is no effing tube to pinch.

Where it gets hard is when using levers it is really diffuclt to mount or it mounts and then it really hard to unmount. Getting any tyre onto a Ryde Trace trail 25 rim is very hard even with the right levers. A tubeless tyre is actually impossible, and impossible for me. Thats hard.

Look at this way do you want your car tyres to be hand fit. Nope is the answer. However with the right tool fitting a car tyre is not hard it is just a skill.
The same applies to tubeless bicyle tyres. So long as you have the right levers (I do) and a modicum of skill then it matters little if you have to use them to mount and unmount the tyre. The right tools make a job easy, without them it is difficult, that includes some dilute fairy liquid (other brands are available of course). This is the way with most things. Get the right tools and stop trying to force tyre manufacturers to make tyres that fit by hand alone and comprmise the secuirty of the resulting fit, because you all want them to fit like a tubed tyre (and even though there a standard for these some are alot easier to fit than others). I bet half the pople who struggle with tubeless tyre mounting on here don't chase the slack around the rim. When I see most people mount a tyre, they go straight for the lever when it gets tight (even shop mechanics do this). Chase the slack..... it really helps.

I am getting quite tired of it must be easy to mount by hand without effort trope. We as human's invented levers and different kinds of levers for different applications, a long time ago for a very good reason. Yet the modern day cyslist is such a cotton wool creature nothing can help them. you may wonder why Continental have decided on the sizing they have it because it's the right sizing. If that sizing means tubeless is not for you then stick to tubes. If however your willing to learn a modicum of skill then go for it.

the IRC Formula Pro tyres, Conti TL, Schwalbe Pro ones and oddly the Mavic UST tyres seems to size similarly to me. I use levers (IRC) on all of these. Its easy with them well may not from a leverage point of view but I can get the lever under the bead easily and it does not jump out either and that half the job done. The rims I have mounted these tyres to the most is the Mavic OP UST and the kinlin XR series rims. They are the gold standard of tubeless in my book because the fit is secure and of course possible.

This forum is full of muddled thinking and people want unicorns. Easy fit tubeless tyres, that stay securely seated without pressure when detergent is present (then with sealant present, it wont unseat if you flat at speed) and that inflate easily, is that unicorn. You can have those things with a tyre that generally will mount with levers to a properly sized and shaped rim. Even hutchinson tyre's on a Kinlin rim is a lever job well that because I'm lazy and dont like hard work.

yes I am ranting (and I dont know why). yes I am tired and about to go to bed.
Lol i hear you, truly I do! I think it’s that all my cycling life (and I’m sure of many others), we’ve been taught that levers are to get tires off and not on. Put the two levers under the bead, pop them off the rim, and slide the lever around to remove the tire and off you go. It seemed like if you needed levers to manipulate a tire into a rim that you risked either destroying the wire bead or the damaging the rim. I understand that this is no longer the case, but old habits die hard!

Once I figured out how to get these on I marveled in being able to seat the tire with no compressor so that’s a step in the right direction.

Sleep well, you deserve it!

zefs

by zefs

bm0p700f wrote:
I bet half the pople who struggle with tubeless tyre mounting on here don't chase the slack around the rim. When I see most people mount a tyre, they go straight for the lever when it gets tight (even shop mechanics do this). Chase the slack..... it really helps.
This is what I've found too, I always do that after I learned about this method.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zefs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:24 am
bm0p700f wrote:
I bet half the pople who struggle with tubeless tyre mounting on here don't chase the slack around the rim. When I see most people mount a tyre, they go straight for the lever when it gets tight (even shop mechanics do this). Chase the slack..... it really helps.
This is what I've found too, I always do that after I learned about this method.

I knead / work the tire from the top to the bottom, ending at the valve core since that's the spot where the tire beads can't sit in the center channel. This isn't my first rodeo. What's more is I'm using two wraps of 3M 8992 poly tape, which is probably thinner than whatever tape bm0p700f uses. These tires are simply tough to mount.

Jugi

by Jugi

bm0p700f wrote:I find them easy to mount, I am fairly proficient. So what if you have to use levers. why are people obsessed with tubeless tyres that mount without levers. Just because you have to use levers does not means it hard. That what the lever is for. Its not problem if you use levers there is no effing tube to pinch.
I represent a different school of thought. With folding bead bicycle tires (tubed, tubeless ready, tubeless, road, gravel, mountain bike, whatever) tire levers are used only for unmounting, for the simple reason it's impossible to manipulate the tire's bead over the rim's edge only using fingers when both beads are in between the rim's sidewalls.

If a folding bead tire seems too tight to mount without tools (when using the rim's center channel to your advantage and all other proper techniques) I'd say that is a sign dimensions are out of tolerance or two things clearly not designed for each other are being mated.

Car tires are purposefully quite different in construction, so that technology can't be compared as is. Rigid bead bicycle tires are closer in comparison, but still bicycle rim's shape is quite different so mounting technique is as well.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I am in an unlucky place where despite having Cosmic SL UST wheels, I find it impossible to mount Mavic's own tyres without levers. My wheels must be an out-of-spec batch. So I am wondering if it's worth for me to even try Conti's TL tyre - as I probably will not be able to mount them at all.

Re Hutchison's comparison, I am wondering just how much slower they actually. Jarno's test was for the TL version, which is heavier and has different reinforcement. Not sure there is much of a muchness to it, but Hutchison has allegedly also improved RR of the compound by some % this year. I think a re-test for 11Storm TLR would be nice to see.

dim

by dim

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am
I am in an unlucky place where despite having Cosmic SL UST wheels, I find it impossible to mount Mavic's own tyres without levers. My wheels must be an out-of-spec batch. So I am wondering if it's worth for me to even try Conti's TL tyre - as I probably will not be able to mount them at all.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

zefs

by zefs

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am

Re Hutchison's comparison, I am wondering just how much slower they actually. Jarno's test was for the TL version, which is heavier and has different reinforcement. Not sure there is much of a muchness to it, but Hutchison has allegedly also improved RR of the compound by some % this year. I think a re-test for 11Storm TLR would be nice to see.
I guess the Cosmics are different but on my Ksyriums that is not the case. If you can't fit the GP5K's you could return them if the shop allows it.
If you are talking about the Galactik's then they are a bit slower even uphill despite being lighter, we have discussed it on previous posts, the difference is small though (1-2W) based on the data:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154192&p=1450416#p1450416

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

zefs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 am

I guess the Cosmics are different but on my Ksyriums that is not the case. If you can't fit the GP5K's you could return them if the shop allows it.
If you are talking about the Galactik's then they are a bit slower even uphill despite being lighter, we have discussed it on previous posts, the difference is small though (1-2W) based on the data:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154192&p=1450416#p1450416
I remember that discusion, and have done the maths. But as I said, Jarno tested the TL, and not the TLR version. They should be very close, but it would be nice to see actual numbers for the new TLR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com