New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ToesOntheNose

by ToesOntheNose

Hi all. I have a set of FarSports 50mm 25 wide 18 internal wheels coming. Tubeless wheels. I know I can run tubes or tubeless and I’m a tubeless noob. I’m 6’3 215 so comfort matters but not as much as safety. Should I go tubeless with these 5000s and add sealant or just run them like clinchers? Any bigger guys here what psi are y’all running. My current wheels are gatorskins since i was fed up with flats 25mm. 100psi in front 110psi in back. Only because I am just now learning psi matters

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ToesOntheNose wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:09 pm
Hi all. I have a set of FarSports 50mm 25 wide 18 internal wheels coming. Tubeless wheels. I know I can run tubes or tubeless and I’m a tubeless noob. I’m 6’3 215 so comfort matters but not as much as safety. Should I go tubeless with these 5000s and add sealant or just run them like clinchers? Any bigger guys here what psi are y’all running. My current wheels are gatorskins since i was fed up with flats 25mm. 100psi in front 110psi in back. Only because I am just now learning psi matters
if you are flating on Gskins... you are going to flat on 5000's as well. You didnt say if you wanted to try 25 or 28 but ....
25 tubeless try around 75F 80R
28 tubeless try around 65F 70R
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToesOntheNose

by ToesOntheNose

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 pm
ToesOntheNose wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:09 pm
if you are flating on Gskins... you are going to flat on 5000's as well. You didnt say if you wanted to try 25 or 28 but ....
25 tubeless try around 75F 80R
28 tubeless try around 65F 70R
many thanks To clarify i went to gators due to pinching, and cutting I live in Los angeles so some roads can be a challenge. no issues with gators. ill be going with a 25 wide tire as My trek came with 28's and i know 25's will inflate to prob 28 with an 18interna

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

in my experience... cutting is the hardest for tubeless to seal.. it can be a 50/50 proposition..especially at higher tubeless pressures you will be using.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ToesOntheNose wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:12 pm

many thanks To clarify i went to gators due to pinching, and cutting I live in Los angeles so some roads can be a challenge. no issues with gators. ill be going with a 25 wide tire as My trek came with 28's and i know 25's will inflate to prob 28 with an 18interna

25mm GP5K TLs will be 26-26.5mm on 18mm rims, not 28mm.

ToesOntheNose

by ToesOntheNose

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 pm
ToesOntheNose wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:12 pm

25mm GP5K TLs will be 26-26.5mm on 18mm rims, not 28mm.
perfect i was worried they would go over 28mm

zariaman

by zariaman

I am running Enve 5.6 and want to ride over the winter in Toronto; does anyone have any experience with the 32 wide version? Do you think they would be good on colder wet slick roads? Would going lower psi allow for better grip?

ToesOntheNose

by ToesOntheNose

Far and away the most difficult tire I ever installed hahaha. I had to buy an air compressor

3phase

by 3phase

So my Aeroad came with Reynolds AR58 Wheels (28 wide, 19 internal) which are tubeless ready. It originally came with GP Attack & Force tyres, generally ok , never had a flat on them.

Last week, took the plunge and bought a pair of 28s. Finally installed it on the front wheels last night, put some new rim tape and I didn't have to buy some new valves as the Canyon came with a tubeless kit.

Really expecting it to be a struggle, but surprise surprise! Mounting the tires took me 2 minutes with no levers! mounted it dry, no sealants and pumped it to 90psi to seat it. I only used my normal track pump too. Using soapy water, I checked if there was some air seeping out and there are some on the beads but very very little. Took a dinner break for 15 minutes and when I came back pressure was about 40psi.

So I put the Stans sealant in, pumped it back to 90psi ( I can hear the popping sounds ) then observed. A few minutes in I can see the sealant seeping to the very small gaps where the air was coming out. I spun the wheel to further seal it. After about an hour I checked the pressure and its 87psi, and this morning 86psi. I didn't get to measure the tire width as I don't have a caliper, but probably in the region of 29-30mm, those with 19 internals any idea what the width is? Will lower the pressure to 70psi when I return home.

All in all , I think for 1 wheel I spent about 20 mins or so in installing. Not bad for my first tubeless install. After work later I will install the rear, hopefully it's the same smooth experience.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Obligatory Orange Seal > Bontrager's >>> Stan's. Wild Card being Stan's Race being roughly equal to Orange Seal in sealing ability, but is more likely to clog valves and creates huge "Stanimals" inside tires in short time. If you can get Orange Seal where you live, it's worth it.

3phase

by 3phase

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 am
Obligatory Orange Seal > Bontrager's >>> Stan's. Wild Card being Stan's Race being roughly equal to Orange Seal in sealing ability, but is more likely to clog valves and creates huge "Stanimals" inside tires in short time. If you can get Orange Seal where you live, it's worth it.
:D I expected that, but I have no access to Orange Seal at the moment plus I still have the Stans Container from my previous Tubs so I'll use that first. I'll try Orange Seals on my other bike once I convert those probably before the year ends.

parajba

by parajba

Duplicated post.
Last edited by parajba on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

parajba

by parajba

Two quick questions:

1) I need to top up the Orange sealant in my 5000TL 25mm on my CLX50s. Are there any videos online to explain what I need to do?

2) The valves seems a bit off. The little pin is not as snappy as before. I guess they have slight clogged as I have been using them for 10 months. They still work though, I can still inflate the tyres but it takes a bit more effort. What should I do?

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

3phase wrote:So my Aeroad came with Reynolds AR58 Wheels (28 wide, 19 internal) which are tubeless ready. It originally came with GP Attack & Force tyres, generally ok , never had a flat on them.

Last week, took the plunge and bought a pair of 28s. Finally installed it on the front wheels last night, put some new rim tape and I didn't have to buy some new valves as the Canyon came with a tubeless kit.

Really expecting it to be a struggle, but surprise surprise! Mounting the tires took me 2 minutes with no levers! mounted it dry, no sealants and pumped it to 90psi to seat it. I only used my normal track pump too. Using soapy water, I checked if there was some air seeping out and there are some on the beads but very very little. Took a dinner break for 15 minutes and when I came back pressure was about 40psi.

So I put the Stans sealant in, pumped it back to 90psi ( I can hear the popping sounds ) then observed. A few minutes in I can see the sealant seeping to the very small gaps where the air was coming out. I spun the wheel to further seal it. After about an hour I checked the pressure and its 87psi, and this morning 86psi. I didn't get to measure the tire width as I don't have a caliper, but probably in the region of 29-30mm, those with 19 internals any idea what the width is? Will lower the pressure to 70psi when I return home.

All in all , I think for 1 wheel I spent about 20 mins or so in installing. Not bad for my first tubeless install. After work later I will install the rear, hopefully it's the same smooth experience.
I agree. I bought GP5000TL and was told to expect a fight to get them on. Exact opposite. Very easy and sealed first time. Was on Zipp303NSW DISC wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

parajba wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am
Two quick questions:

1) I need to top up the Orange sealant in my 5000TL 25mm on my CLX50s. Are there any videos online to explain what I need to do?

2) The valves seems a bit off. The little pin is not as snappy as before. I guess they have slight clogged as I have been using them for 10 months. They still work though, I can still inflate the tyres but it takes a bit more effort. What should I do?
1) Remove the valve cores and inject some more sealant. You don’t need to clean out the old sealant... If it’s dried up, it weighs almost nothing.

2) Remove and inspect the valve cores. Sometimes you can pull out bits of dried sealant by hand, sometimes using a tiny pick like a sewing needle can help. When you replace your old tires, take the valves out and inspect the valve body for clumps of sealant inside. Again you can probably use a toothpick or sewing needle to help pick out the sealant.

The best practices for avoiding sealant drying up in the valve is to always inflate your tires with the valve stems at 8 o’clock or 4 o’clock.