New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have 28s on both... they are a mm wider on the rear for some reason .. 28s measured 30.1mm..my front is a little over 29. They look fine, not balloned
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Mounted 25mm GP5000TLR on Zipp 202, 21mm Int
Measure 27.2 with air pressure set at 75psi (5.17 bar)
Went on with some effort, no levers, track pump was all that was needed

They feel a bit more supple than the Pro One tires I had before
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

AJS914

by AJS914

I mounted a 25mm GP5000TLR on a Farsports tubeless rim with no levers. It pumped up with a track pump.

I did all the usual tricks:

Let tire sit in the sun for 10 minutes to warm it up
Put a small splash of soapy water around rim and around tire bead
Install first side into center channel of rim (went in easily by hand)
Install valve second (so that you don't have to get the first bead over the valve)
Install second bead of tire (started off tight but I pushed it into the center channel all the way around which helped and then was able to push over the last bit by hand thanks to the lubrication of the soapy water)
Easy peasy
Tire bead popped into the bead lock channel of the rim at about 80 psi

By contrast the previous GP4000 was harder to get on without any lubrication. (I should have used talcum powder.)

AJS914

by AJS914

A few more notes.

I used Orange Seal. There was zero seppage on the rear and only a tiny bit on the front. It seems like I have a well sealed system.

I pumped them to 75/80psi and rode around for 15 minutes as a test. I didn't notice any amazing difference between these and the GP4000. The GP4000 might be a touch cushier as they are 2mm wider.

The other thing I noticed was the 5000TL will come off the bead lock channel when I deflate the tires. The previous GP4000s would stay firmly on. I'm not sure if that is cause for concern but if I get a flat on the road I'll be sure to top immediately and not assume the tire will stay fully in place. This, of course, is not any different from getting a flat on a non-tubeless rim.

The 5000TL supposedly saves me 8 watts in rolling resistance according to BRR. Hambini's tests indicate that the narrower tire will save 10 watts (both wheels). 18 watts is a good chunk of watts though I don't expect these tires to transform my riding.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can add power savings like that.

Have you retaped your farsport wheels. You may have obscured your bead lock by not fitting the tape snugly to the rim.

AJS914

by AJS914

I didn't use tape. No spoke holes on these rims.

I put in a proper ride on these tires. Wow, they feel like free speed. Maybe it's a bit of placebo effect on top of those 18 watts? When I hit sections of new smooth pavement the bike feels like it coasts faster and farther than ever.

I wish these tires were more comfortable than the GP4000s. They are slightly rougher riding. I lost 2mm in width and 1mm in height compared to the GP4000 and I can't run them at lower pressures. 80/85psi seems to be about as low as I'm comfortable with.

dim

by dim

just had my new wheelset built for my touring bike (HED Belgium Plus rims 32/32, Royce rear hub, Son 28 front dynamo hub)

I bought the new HED rimtape (specially made for the Belgium Plus rims and it only needs 1 layer of tape) and used the new Silca tubeless valves

mounted the Continental GP 5000 TL tyres (32mm wide) with approx 30ml of Orange Sealant in each tyre (regular not endurance) .... tyres fitted by hand and this was very easy to fit ... bike rides amazing (I've only ridden 18km so far but will go on a longer ride today)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Woland

by Woland

I've recently purchased a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels. Has anyone here fitted the 5000 TLs on a Bontrager wheel that comes with the snap-in tubeless strips as seen in this picture:

Would it be safe to mount the 5000 TLs without the strip, only using regular tubeless tape? It doesn't look like there's much of a bead lock in the rim.

Either way, what's your experience on fitting the 5000 TL on a Aeolus Pro rim?

szazbo

by szazbo

Why wouldnt you want the use the strip? Weight? The strip really simplifies subsequent tire changes. Yes you can just put tape on it if you wish.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Woland wrote:I've recently purchased a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels. Has anyone here fitted the 5000 TLs on a Bontrager wheel that comes with the snap-in tubeless strips as seen in this picture:

Would it be safe to mount the 5000 TLs without the strip, only using regular tubeless tape? It doesn't look like there's much of a bead lock in the rim.

They are crazy tight on these rims. I recommend the bare minimum tape rather than the standard rim strip, or just go with Corsa tlr. Much looser bead.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Woland

by Woland

Stitchking wrote:
Woland wrote:I've recently purchased a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels. Has anyone here fitted the 5000 TLs on a Bontrager wheel that comes with the snap-in tubeless strips as seen in this picture:

They are crazy tight on these rims. I recommend the bare minimum tape rather than the standard rim strip, or just go with Corsa tlr. Much looser bead.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks, just the kind of information I was looking for. Have a set of Pro Ones on the shelf already, might go with those then.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The strip is just a valve and tape in one.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I wonder how they would go in a CLX Roval rim with the 21mm internal width.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:00 am
I wonder how they would go in a CLX Roval rim with the 21mm internal width.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
easy peasy on CLX50's
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ToesOntheNose

by ToesOntheNose

Greetings and happy new year, I've spent 3 days scouring the googles and my head is killing me, im finally breaking down and asking the pros here. I have a Argo18 117 tri bike. I have purchased some Reynolds AR58X carbon tubeless wheels. 19MM internal width 28mm external. I am going to run latex tubes in these wheels which will be ridden during races. I purchased Cont GP5000 25mm tires and I am wondering if I need to send them back and get 28mm or no? I did a prelim fit last night and aside from that tire refusing to mount lol I held off to ensure I dont need a 28mm tire before trying to slay the beast today. Ive seen many yes and nos and every site i go on seems to contradict the other site.

thank you for your time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com