New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

The choices of pro racers be that XC or DH are largely irrelevant to the average rider as they’re generally riding so much harder, notice I said ridiculously soft tyres, you see them on the trails with their tyres squirming on the slightest corner, they’re the same people that run forks/shocks soft to get that mushy “plush” feel and complain they blow through their travel on a 4 foot drop :lol:

Also, at the same time some of the choices of pro XC racers can be ignored..is someone truly better off running 300g carbonz when they have to put a 200g insert in to protect their rims?
Attachments
D39E807D-983F-49E0-B0F6-2AA3B75789EF.jpeg

ms6073

by ms6073

dvq wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 pm
Monkeyfudger wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 am
I’d be willing to bet the guys getting a lot of sidewall cuts are running their tyres fashionably soft and maybe also not quite being honest with themselves about their weight :lol: it’s getting to be the same in MTB, dudes running ridiculously soft tyres for the gripzzz but pinch flatting *f##k* out of tubeless so we’re now seeing foam inserts :eyeroll:
You callin' me fat, pal?
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:31 pm
solid... big boned..
Wondered how long before there would be something like a 'do these tires make my bike look fat' kind of post. :beerchug:
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Monkeyfudger wrote:The choices of pro racers be that XC or DH are largely irrelevant to the average rider as they’re generally riding so much harder, notice I said ridiculously soft tyres, you see them on the trails with their tyres squirming on the slightest corner, they’re the same people that run forks/shocks soft to get that mushy “plush” feel and complain they blow through their travel on a 4 foot drop :lol:

Also, at the same time some of the choices of pro XC racers can be ignored..is someone truly better off running 300g carbonz when they have to put a 200g insert in to protect their rims?
200g?

How about a third of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierrotdu37

by Pierrotdu37

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 pm
I edited after posting. MTB riders have been doing gravel long before it was called gravel and Paris Roubaix riders have been doing extreme gravel since day zero. The first bikes where gravel bikes. Gravel tyres therefore have been around along time. They're called road tyres.

The biggest tyre I can fit under my mudguards is 28mm wide and 25mm tall.
Tour de France Col d'Izoard 1936 (Wikipedia source)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

And nothing has changed in tire design since “road riding” then and now

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That is now gravel racing.

PTN inserts are 100g, normal riders think they dont benefit from inserts but they have not tried them or tired the wrong ones. Some try pool foam barriers and when that does not work they think all inserts are marketing bullshit. However these folk are wrong. I am a normal MTB XC rider. nothing extreeme here in suffolk and the difference with a good insert is night and day. Thw weight of the insert is irrelveent as it allows you to use a lighter tyre anyway instead of that heavier trail tyre.

MikeD

by MikeD

bm0p700f wrote:That is now gravel racing.

PTN inserts are 100g, normal riders think they dont benefit from inserts but they have not tried them or tired the wrong ones. Some try pool foam barriers and when that does not work they think all inserts are marketing bullshit. However these folk are wrong. I am a normal MTB XC rider. nothing extreeme here in suffolk and the difference with a good insert is night and day. Thw weight of the insert is irrelveent as it allows you to use a lighter tyre anyway instead of that heavier trail tyre.
So, you're saying that a lightweight tire would hold up under those same trail conditions that drove you to use a tire insert without said tire getting torn up?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

In general yes. Of course I never tear up tyres. The main reason for inserts for me is improved handling. The rim and tyre defence is a side product for that. Given with an insert the sidewall flop less a lighter tyre can be used withing reason. Some riders are so hard on there bike that nothing survives them.

Marin

by Marin

Last edited by Marin on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

GP 5000 TL 2nd fastest tire, very close to Corsa Speed, in Jarno's Test =0

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

Anyone have the 32s in stock yet? Seems I need to get a pair for my new build.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Marin wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 pm
GP 5000 TL 2nd fastest tire, very close to Corsa Speed, in Jarno's Test =0

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018

Anyone have the 32s in stock yet? Seems I need to get a pair for my new build.
Pretty impressive! The Corsa Speed is hard to beat but it's not a surprise, cotton casing, a rubber thread so thin that's very fragile with such a short lifespan, the GP5000TL's numbers are really good given it's one of the longer lasting performance tires you can ride daily.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I’m torn at the minute, I’ve been using Vitoria Speed’s (tubeless) for a couple of years now but you can damn near see them wearing out after a ride and despite never getting a puncture I’m always a bit weary, thinking about GP5000’s but they’re bloody £15 a tyre more at the minute! Hoping they’ll come down to the same price as the Speed’s.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Truly impressive numbers. Enjoying my Corsa Speeds but these figures make them look like an expensive folly.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The conti do feel fast when I am on them. They are proving however not be robust. Conti have created a quick tyre for sure that is probably robust enough for most but not an all season tyre. It's a race tyre.

They became very slow tyres on Wednesday night when the from lost all its air in about 20 seconds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 am
Marin wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 am
They used 50mL
I also thought that was excessive. Let's wait for Jarno's test, but I don't think it'll get that much faster.

Jarno uses butyl tubes, which are maybe 1W slower than latex tubes using his test protocol (29km/h, 42.5kg load.) He also uses 20mL of sealant which is what I consider the absolute minimum to run on 25mm tires.

Aero Coach used latex tubes and 50mL of sealant. Their test is performed at 45km/h with an unknown load. Given the wattage difference in the two test protocols, the difference in rolling resistance between the two tires according to Jarno's test would be just a fraction of the 1.2W from the Aero Coach test. Now add the penalty of a butyl tube and I think the GP5K TL scores in low 9s on Jarno's test.

I knew it was going to be very fast. Turns out logic and physics work the way they should. I just hope the reduced tread thickness still results in endurance competitive with the Fusion 5 Performance...and no sidewall tears (the inner liner should help.)