Cervelo S5 2018 VS Trek Madone SLR6 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I agree with Honda rider, it should be solved on the current S5 version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Roadrocket wrote:I agree with Honda rider, it should be solved on the current S5 version.
The 2019 Cervelo S3 comes in a rim brake version, have you considered this? It may be a better bike that the outgoing S5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Yes, I have. It looks aero, but I don´t think it is, because it has very high stack and low reach. It doesn´t mean it is not good bike, but I don´t think it is any better than outgoing S5.

Shrike

by Shrike

Wasn't there only like 4 or 5 watts between the old S3 and the old S5?

So if the new S3 is 14 watts faster than the old S3 that should make it faster than the old S5.

Though it's highly likely those figures came from my rear end :lol:

But worth looking up if you can be, ahem, arsed 8)

FWIW I ride the older S5 myself, the one you're considering. Brilliant bike, very tame, no quirks, not snappy. Very business is the best way I could describe it. It has a job to do and it does it earnestly.

Sails beautifully at speed. Though like all bikes, it needs a properly nice set of wheels to bring the magic out. Used to love my S5 and 404 tub days. Those were fun days :P
Last edited by Shrike on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TiCass

by TiCass

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 pm
Yes, I have. It looks aero, but I don´t think it is, because it has very high stack and low reach. It doesn´t mean it is not good bike, but I don´t think it is any better than outgoing S5.
You can ride it with -17 stem. The stem will be perfectly horizontal... like many aero bikes do anyway now.

Geoff

by Geoff

@Roadrocket, I just get old handoffs. My S5 is Danny Martin's old bike race bike and the Madone is Jarlinson Pantano's TDF race bike. I think that they are both Nominal 54s.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 pm
Looking at this where Tour compares the S2 to the S5, the Zipp 404 control wheel data shows a small difference between the S2 and S5: https://www.tour-magazin.de/uploads/tx_ ... c39ba.jpeg

According to Cervelo: "The new S3 is 53 grams (which is the equivalent of 6.9 Watts) faster than the current rim version of the S3."

I'm not sure but I suspect the gains they've made on the new S3 would put it on par if not slightly better than the outgoing S5.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

@VTR Ticass Shrike Thanks, but please compare only S5 and SLR, it will be one of those, I spent last months considering most of aero bikes :) There are more differences than just few manufacturer grams(which you can trust or not, all new bikes MUST be better than old, otherwise they won´t sell one... :) )

@Geoff did you ride´em both?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I forgot ask one thing about SLR, what is the braking like? Will it be similar to Ultegra calipers on S5?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I´ll answer it myself, braking is not so high-level(Madone 2016), maybe new model is improved.

Anyway...today I had a ride with both of them, S5 and Madone(sorry for bad quality mobile phone pics) for about 30 minutes each and here are my humble thoughts in few words: Bikes are more or less similar, but I can honestly say that one of them impressed me more by its look, but another one impressed me more by its performance.

Guess which one :)

For me it looks like decision was finally made today...
Attachments
´velo S5, 56, Ultegra, Xentis Squard tubulars
´velo S5, 56, Ultegra, Xentis Squard tubulars
Madone 9 RSL, 56, eTAP, Aeolus 5 tubulars
Madone 9 RSL, 56, eTAP, Aeolus 5 tubulars

ichobi

by ichobi

If you think aeroad is less stiff than other bikes in the bb that's probably your imagination.

Tour magazine measures bb deflection on all bikes here are some

Canyon aeroad cf slx 69 n/mm
Canyon ultimate cf slx 67 n/mm
Cervelo R5 77 n/mm
Cervelo S5 (2017) 64n/mm
Trek Madone (2017) 56n/mm

I owned the Aeroad. The bb is incredibly stiff however it has a sort of slower power transfer characteristic than say.. a giant tcr. It's not as snappy but certainly very stiff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

@ Roadrocket, hard call that actually! To my eye the S5 looks boss, but most people would say the Madone looks better.

I reckon you went with the S5 though it'll be interesting to hear your comparison on them!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

S5 is my guess to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I just ordered a 2019 Madone SLR (52cm) rim brake frameset, rage red, with cockpit and Bontrager XXX 6 wheels. I'll post up pics when all the parts arrive.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

That is going to be sweet looking, congrats Noctiluxx! :P