Cervelo S5 2018 VS Trek Madone SLR6 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Hi,
after selling my Aeroad I decided to buy one of those aeros. Price tags are £2.6k vs £4.2k at the moment.

Which one would you choose? S5 is proven fast aero machine, but with older design, Madone should be as fast as S5, but with technological benefits and newer design.
When we compare bb and front end stiffness, ride quality and climbing abilities which one would you get? I know that S5 is probably a better deal, but I´d pay more for the Trek if it´s worth it. I want to keep the bike for few years.

Is the new SLR better or the same as ,,old´´ RSL H1 in terms of stiffness, frame weight, etc?
Pay more for SLR or save money and get much cheaper S5?

Thanks!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Aeroad, Madone, and the S5 have previously tested very similarly and I’d hazard a guess that the Aeroad is the lightest of the 3 whole the Madone is the opposite.

Not sure you’d notice any significant difference in speed between the 3 but if discs is what you’re after then the Madone gets my vote. It’s likely the most comfortable without giving up any stiffness. The outgoing S5 with the exposed cables has limited tire clearance, a headtube that could be stiffer and with all the hidden cable routing now, it seems antiquated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I sold Aeroad, because I couldn´t get rid of the feeling it´s flexing during hard sprints. Maybe it was partially in my head but Aeroad wasn´t certainly the stiffest bike I rode.
About its weight, the frame was slightly over 1kg in M size. According to reviews, S5 frame is about 1050g and Madone 1100g both in 56.
So 50g or 100g difference is not essential for me if I will get greater stiffness and racing potential.

About brakes, I am looking for rim brake option SLR(and S5 obviously).

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I think that other than for a user preference between a stiff-feelikg bike vs a not-so-stiff-feeling bike, stiffness (as long as a bike isn't so noodly as to have bad handling in descents or sprints) is greatly overstated as a performance credential.

Kristoff, Kittel and Van Der Poel, to name only them, had no trouble winning numerous pro tour sprints on the Aeroad...

If you are picky about bike feel, I'd offer up that nothing short of a test ride with your own wheels would make sense, and that buying blind based on forum comments is unlikely to provide you with a satisfactory outcome.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks for your input. I have tried numerous amount of road bikes, it´s pretty hard to describe, but BB on Aeroad feels flexy during sprint, acceleration, climbing. I felt its flex even when putting cleats into pedals :) As opposite, Canyon Ultimate was probably the stiffest and most responsive bike I´ve tried.
The geometry and design was great, and I didn´t feel slow on Aeroad, but if you don´t trust fully your bike you cannot ride good...
Last edited by Roadrocket on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

You want stiffness in an aero bike, you should look and ride the new Propel disk. That thing does not offer the comfort of my friend's Madone 9, but is significantly stiffer.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Noctiluxx wrote:You want stiffness in an aero bike, you should look and ride the new Propel disk. That thing does not offer the comfort of my friend's Madone 9, but is significantly stiffer.
I’ve heard the same feedback and am really curious to try one out.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Noctiluxx: Thanks, new Propel would probably be on my list too, but the highest grade SL carbon is only availible with disc rotors.

Did you compare stiffness on 2019 Propel SL and Madone 9 H1 700 OCLV?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RR, Why do you consider a new Madone vs an older gen S5?
Is it due to no rim brake option?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 pm
Noctiluxx: Thanks, new Propel would probably be on my list too, but the highest grade SL carbon is only availible with disc rotors.

I've ridden both 2018 series 600 & 700 Madone's. The Series 600 was an H2 while the 700 Series, H1. Both are super comfortable, hold speed exceptionally well, but have weak braking (NSW 404's), and neither felt super stiff/responsive. BTW, it Looks like they have addressed some of those weaknesses for 2019. The rim brake version has improved the brake caliper arms and now come with adjustable stiffness with the IsoSpeed thingy. Try the 2019 Madone SLR before making a decision.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

izza

by izza

I’ve gone from Madone 9 H2 to Madone SLR with a steep stem.

I did worry that it was too aggressive but have been pleasantly surprised. The variable isospeed works a treat and smooths our ride reducing vibrations and stress on my back.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have both the S5 and Madone. They are both very different bikes.

I don't know how big you are, but I am 5'9", 130ish and can generate 1,200 watts in a sprint, so not a big, powerhouse rider. Both of those frames are very stiff on the bottom bracket and in the headtube. From the perspective of the ride, the Madone is super-soft. I did not think that the decouplers would make as big a difference as they do, by they turn a race-day bike into a nice, GT bike.

The other great thing about the Madone is the 'H1' headtube. That makes it much easier to get a nice, low front-end without too many machinations (I have to run a 140mm stem on the S5 to get the bars low enough). Once set up, though, the S5 rides very nicely. It is very nimble in the front end, maybe quicker-handling than the Madone.

Lastly, I have a creak in the bottom bracket of the S5. I have been looking at the options to fix it (I want to keep it in as close an 'as-raced' condition from when Dan Martin had it, so I don't want to loctite it in there, if I can avoid it). That is apparently a pretty common problem with the S5s. I might try a BB Infinite, or something, when I get around to it. No bottom bracket issues with the Madone (knock on wood...)

Oh, as an old-school tubular guy, I have a habit of reaching back whilst riding and dragging my fingers along the top of the tire where it passes the seattube to knock-off any bits of glass, etc. before they cause punctures. That is easy to do with the Madone, not so much with the S5.

I don't think you will be upset with either choice.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

wheelsONfire: Exactly! To be honest, I really don´t like/need rim brakes although I live near mountains. They are everything I don´t like on road bike: ugly(imho), heavy, non aero. The next reason is I have almost new Bora Ultra 50 rim brake wheelset and they are just perfect, even in terms of braking.
New 2019 S5 is a bit odd anyway. I´ve heard it is really fast and stiff, but with its integrated fork and split stem it is not a beau.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bordcla wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Kristoff, Kittel and Van Der Poel, to name only them, had no trouble winning numerous pro tour sprints on the Aeroad...

Kittel has all sorts of problems winning any major sprint stages this year, but it wasn't the bike... More his own fitness and a weak leadout train.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:37 pm

I've ridden both 2018 series 600 & 700 Madone's. The Series 600 was an H2 while the 700 Series, H1. Both are super comfortable, hold speed exceptionally well, but have weak braking (NSW 404's), and neither felt super stiff/responsive. BTW, it Looks like they have addressed some of those weaknesses for 2019. The rim brake version has improved the brake caliper arms and now come with adjustable stiffness with the IsoSpeed thingy. Try the 2019 Madone SLR before making a decision.
No heatwarming info about SLR unfortunately :? For £4.2k I wouldn´t expect lack of stiffness and responsiveness... Unfortunately no shop near me stock new madones yet.