Cervelo S5 2018 VS Trek Madone SLR6 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

izza: I like aggressive geometry, so no problems with S5 or SLR H1.5

Geoff: I am 6ft, about 180lbs and can generate over 1500w. Unfortunately new Madone moved up to H1.5 geometry(don´t see any reason why), but with lower stem without spacers it could be adjusted to H1 fit easily.
What size are you in Madone and S5?

About BB, I´ll probably replace it immediately with some ceramic bearing bb, so hope I will avoid any creaking. BB90 shell on Madone is not a big winning too.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Hey - thought I would chime in and post my thoughts on the S5 as finally on one after a long time thinking about one, then missing the boat on the classic black and white and then not being so keen on the newer colours. But I managed to get one from Cervelo Ireland via Fifty Cycles who make Connor Mcgreors's bike and delighted ! So here is the thing about the S5. It is fast. But fast when going fast if that makes sense. At nominal speeds it is much like any other bike, but when travelling at good MPH it seems to engage another ryhtmn and lite up. The rear is is where the stiffness lies in this bike as the stays are frankly huge and there is no give at all but this makes it a very fast engaging bike. My position and saddle soak up any issues and to be honest, like most here been riding stiff bikes for a good 10 years since SL3 Tarmac so no big deal to me. The S5 at times may not 'feel' as fast which in lies the paradox because it is and even today in poor weather I snagged a couple of PB's with minimal effort.

I do not think it 'snaps up to speed' like the F8 did but that bike whilst stiff was also a very buzzy ride. I did one of my point to point loops on my S5 on Saturday and got some pb's - but I was two minutes slower than in September due to heavy rain, wet roads and strong winds. However, speed is a word that has been lost in translation and in terms of power output the whole ride was 40 watts less than on my R5 which to my mind indicates that the S5 is working - less effort for same or more speed.

Since this image was taken I have gone back to a romin evo saddle and today I tested some Specialized turbo cotton tyres today which are absurdly quick descending tyres ( faster than pro 1 tubeless ) and they will be going onto the bike full time in the spring. At £60 a tyre too expensive for winter rubber. I aim to put some sworks aerofly 2 bars on the bike asap too. This has c-bear ceramic which I cannot fault despite people saying ceramic overpriced nonsense.

Image[/url]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Hi and thanks for your review. If I will choose S5, I want certainly install some integrated aero bars, not sure which one yet, but Metron 5D looks quite good.

About your C-bear ceramic bb, did you notice any creak? Costs about £110 which is not so much for a ceramic one.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 pm
Hi and thanks for your review. If I will choose S5, I want certainly install some integrated aero bars, not sure which one yet, but Metron 5D looks quite good.

About your C-bear ceramic bb, did you notice any creak? Costs about £110 which is not so much for a ceramic one.
Thanks ! no creak, just fast and smooth. Better than Hambini ? No, may add one next year, just wanted to get this on the road.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Sorry - double post.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks, is it worth to wait for Hambini, or eventually get c-bear? Even If I buy Madone, I´ll certainly replace bottom bracket immediately for anything better.

During weekend I´ll have a ride on used S5 2015 56 and Madone 9 RSL 2016 56 so I look forward to compare both!

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:07 am
Thanks, is it worth to wait for Hambini, or eventually get c-bear? Even If I buy Madone, I´ll certainly replace bottom bracket immediately for anything better.

During weekend I´ll have a ride on used S5 2015 56 and Madone 9 RSL 2016 56 so I look forward to compare both!
Hambini is super smooth and very noticable in the small ring with ultra smooth cadence but very fast circles going up. Quality product and beautifully put together with superb bearings. Just have confidence when you press in the BB as my god the frame makes noises you thought you would never hear ! :unbelievable: :unbelievable: :unbelievable: :mrgreen:

cveks

by cveks

I like Cervelo S5 more :)

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Roadrocket wrote:Thanks, is it worth to wait for Hambini, or eventually get c-bear? Even If I buy Madone, I´ll certainly replace bottom bracket immediately for anything better.

The bb on my S5 was ticking on out of the saddle efforts, I replaced it with a hambini bb and it's silent. Replaced a bb on a cervelo r2 as well. Both silent, spin well, just feel right. Well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks guys, I checked Hambini site, and there is two versions of bbs, standard and racing, which one are you riding?

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

Roadrocket wrote:Thanks guys, I checked Hambini site, and there is two versions of bbs, standard and racing, which one are you riding?
I felt flush and bought the racing version for the r2 as he was out of stock of the standard one. The s5 has the standard one. Its impossible to say which is 'better' but they're both excellent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

pick the one you find more attractive. as far as fast, aero bikes go, these are probably amongst the best options. however, if you wan't to go full retard, Madone's integrated brakes make it fully aero - and apparently they do work nicer than previous "barn door" brakes. I could've gotten a S5 myself for half the price I'm paying for the Madone SLR, but - I don't really like how Cervelo looks (paintjob is utterly meh) and standard brakes don't befit an aero frame IMHO (and no, discs are even more wrong).
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I can see it will be tough decision, but I hope I´ll figure it out this weekend. Trek Viper Red looks much better(like the red color and huge lettering) than Cervelos humdrum paintjob, but that´s not so essential. If the bikes will impress me about the same, I won´t pay £1.6k more only for SLRs better painting.

Saussiecycling

by Saussiecycling

People complained about the harshness of the earlier aero bikes and the s5 is one of the first.. I have a 2014 and it’s harsh compared to the newer bikes. Madone has isospeed so it’ll be a lot more comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Saussiecycling wrote:People complained about the harshness of the earlier aero bikes and the s5 is one of the first.. I have a 2014 and it’s harsh compared to the newer bikes. Madone has isospeed so it’ll be a lot more comfy.

The harshness was improved for the 2015-18 S5

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com