Cervelo S5 2018 VS Trek Madone SLR6 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

@ Shrike @ wheelsONfire Correct, S5 is my choice! :)

The Madone looks really awesome in person. While S5 is great looking too, it wasn´t the love at first sight. But it felt very stiff, nimble, fast accelerating and immediately catched my heart during a ride. It´s not a long term test, I tried the bikes only for about 30 minutes(flat, downhill, climb, sprint), so FWIW I can say S5 felt better in riding charasterics and climbing was easier too. The Madone felt like a train, it holds speed very well, but I didn´t feel the liveliness of the S5 in it. Braking was way weaker during dry weather with Madone too(Aeolus 5 tubulars, SwissStop pads).

Even if the price of both SLR and S5 is the same, the S5 is the winner, what´s more the S5 was limited by not very fast Tufo tubulars too.
Considering that Madone is much more epensive, it looks like there is clear choice for me. Even though I tried older models of both bikes, I doubt there will be significant differences in performance.

@ Noctiluxx Congrats, keep posting a pics later!

by Weenie

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:24 am
@ Shrike @ wheelsONfire Correct, S5 is my choice! :)

The Madone looks really awesome in person. While S5 is great looking too, it wasn´t the love at first sight. But it felt very stiff, nimble, fast accelerating and immediately catched my heart during a ride. It´s not a long term test, I tried the bikes only for about 30 minutes(flat, downhill, climb, sprint), so FWIW I can say S5 felt better in riding charasterics and climbing was easier too. The Madone felt like a train, it holds speed very well, but I didn´t feel the liveliness of the S5 in it. Braking was way weaker during dry weather with Madone too(Aeolus 5 tubulars, SwissStop pads).

Even if the price of both SLR and S5 is the same, the S5 is the winner, what´s more the S5 was limited by not very fast Tufo tubulars too.
Considering that Madone is much more epensive, it looks like there is clear choice for me. Even though I tried older models of both bikes, I doubt there will be significant differences in performance.

@ Noctiluxx Congrats, keep posting a pics later!

You're absolutely right about the Madone lacking liveliness. But I have three other bikes that give me the "Liveliness" but lack Madone's freight train speed, though my XR4 comes very close. If I was to have one bike, the Madone would not be it. But damn on rolling hills this freight train is a blast to ride.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold)