Giant TCR Advanced SL with Aero Cockpit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tposs001

by tposs001

I'm trying to build my stealth black weight wennie project. I have most of the pieces purchased.
I'm a huge fan of the simple 2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro SL2. I have the frame already.
Full 9100 Dura Ace Gloss Black Mechanical Groupset with Ceramicspeed bottom bracket. I have these components already
I'm undecided on the cockpit. I live in Miami, I could get away with an aero cockpit, but wanted some imput.
I have the Giant Contact SLR Aero Flux stem as it the best one for the overdrive2 steering.
I have an ZIPP SL70 Aero Beyond Black. that I had spare, but not sure if it's the right combination on the tcr.
Should I keep the Aero cockpit or opt for the ZIPP SL70 Ergo in Beyond Black?
Wheels will be ZIPP Beyond Black Clincher 202's running 23mm Conti GP4000's.

Any thoughts or imputs? Would you swap or change anything? I will update as build is being complete.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Nice choice! I went aero cockpit on my 2017 TCR Advanced SL (Neon Red) using the Contact SLR OD2 stem with Giant's SLR Aero handlebar. I'm currently in the process of swapping out the Neon Red frame for a 2019 Chameleon Blue SL while replacing the cockpit to the Aero Flux stem and Enve's new aero bar. The new SL is currently 14.3 lbs but should drop another ounce once the steerer tube is trimmed. The bike is XS and comes with DA 9150, Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels, Bontrager XXX saddle, and Speedplay Zero Titanium pedals.
Attachments
IMG_3633 2.jpg
IMG_3635 2.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg
IMG_3709.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

shotgun

by shotgun

I've used the one-piece aero cockpit from Giant on my TCR. I didn't look out of place, if that's what you're asking.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Very interested in the options that will come up in this thread because I've definitely been toying with the idea of an aero cockpit for my TCR next season.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

chorus88

by chorus88

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:11 am
Nice choice! I went aero cockpit on my 2017 TCR Advanced SL (Neon Red) using the Contact SLR OD2 stem with Giant's SLR Aero handlebar. I'm currently in the process of swapping out the Neon Red frame for a 2019 Chameleon Blue SL while replacing the cockpit to the Aero Flux stem and Enve's new aero bar. The new SL is currently 14.3 lbs but should drop another ounce once the steerer tube is trimmed. The bike is XS and comes with DA 9150, Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels, Bontrager XXX saddle, and Speedplay Zero Titanium pedals.
Beautiful frame.
BTW, I'm 168 cm & I'm considering a SMALL Chameleon TCR Advanced SL.
How tall are you?
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

chorus88 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Beautiful frame.
BTW, I'm 168 cm & I'm considering a SMALL Chameleon TCR Advanced SL.
How tall are you?
I'm 171cm and used to ride a small 2017 TCR SL. I really prefer the more aggressive, more responsive, lower center gravity of the XS over the Small.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

tposs001

by tposs001

Noctiluxx wrote:
That looks epic! I'm glad I wasn't alone in my choice! I'll post pictures once its ready.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

onemanpeloton wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:54 pm
Gorgeous. Do you have a built list and more close ups of the cockpit?

edit: Damn, with those wheels I didn't even realize that I had already looked at your build thread. What wheels are those?
2013 Trek 520

parleez1

by parleez1

2019 TCR ADVANCED SL 0
2019 TCR ADVANCED SL 0
Great thread! I’m working on the cockpit of my new 2019 TCR, will need s shorter stem, 90mm and wider bars, 44cm. Unsure of what stem, probably going with the Zipp SL -70 ergo bars. Also thinking of putting a red crankset on with 165mm arms, have hip and knee issues, so it would be less stress on both. Waiting to receive a Fizik Antares saddle to replace the Specialized. Otherwise all stock for now.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

amngwlvs wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:19 pm
onemanpeloton wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:54 pm
Gorgeous. Do you have a built list and more close ups of the cockpit?

edit: Damn, with those wheels I didn't even realize that I had already looked at your build thread. What wheels are those?
Thanks. Its a fairly stock/budget TCR disc - has the alu steerer, not the carbon one :cry:

I've just added the slr integrated bar/stem (with graphics removed), dura ace 9000 and the wheels which are ICAN 40mm tubular carbons.

I'll update my build thread soon but I've been busy building up a TCX :)
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm
Thanks. Its a fairly stock/budget TCR disc - has the alu steerer, not the carbon one :cry:

I've just added the slr integrated bar/stem (with graphics removed), dura ace 9000 and the wheels which are ICAN 40mm tubular carbons.

I'll update my build thread soon but I've been busy building up a TCX :)
Thanks for the reply - clean looking build! 40mm wheels looks great on a TCR. I don't know if I'd call it a budget built when it's got Dura Ace on it though :mrgreen:

I wouldn't worry too much about the steerer though, worst case you can always look online, buy a TCR fork with the carbon steerer and just change your headset to make it fit. The hardest part may be finding a coloured fork that matches but at least you can get away with black!
2013 Trek 520

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Thanks. I love the colours and I got it for a price I couldn't turn down. The carbon steerer would be good for the weight weenie in me but, like you said, getting a fork to match is difficult because they didnt do a "pro" version in the same colours. So I'd have to buy one and then get custom paint. I like to keep things tied in as much as possible so not sure I could sleep at night with a black fork :D likewise with the wheels, I really like the 40s but it bugs me that they arent giant ones.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

northwestern

by northwestern

I had the Giant integrated handlebat on my TCR. It was 375gr for 44x110. Before you consider it you must know that it is extremely stiff. My hands would go numb after 2 hours. I do not ride on the best road surface so that might be a factor. I had to switch to alu handlebar/stem. No problems since.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

onemanpeloton wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Thanks. I love the colours and I got it for a price I couldn't turn down. The carbon steerer would be good for the weight weenie in me but, like you said, getting a fork to match is difficult because they didnt do a "pro" version in the same colours. So I'd have to buy one and then get custom paint. I like to keep things tied in as much as possible so not sure I could sleep at night with a black fork :D likewise with the wheels, I really like the 40s but it bugs me that they arent giant ones.
Haha, I feel you. I'm looking at wheels for my TCR AP0 Disc and Giant's only options are the 42 or the 65. I think the 65 will feel too deep for a non-aero bike and I don't know if I can justify spending $2000+ to go from the 30mm to the 42mm which leaves me stuck looking at other brands. :noidea:
2013 Trek 520