Pinarello Gan rebuild outline

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

osw000

by osw000

Hey,

After solving the fit doubts described on the link below, by getting a zero setback seatpost and a shorter stem (10cm)
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 2#p1434612

I decided to keep the 51,5cm frame and start rebuilding the bike with a modest plan of reaching a sub 7kgs. I also have in mind swaping the frame in the near future, when I gather my ideal set of components. Maybe an F10, just to keep the investment on ridiculous heavy and expensive Most parts. :-)

Now the bike weights exactly 8kgs with pedals, Garmin mounts and sensors, rear light. No Garmin included.

I decided to go Sram Etap as the first change.

Shimano 105 is perfectly functional but way too heavy. I'll roughly shave 500 grams with the groupset change plus some cables out (2540 grams vs 2095 grams)

I have not ordered yet the crankset cause the website doesn't seem to have in stock the GXP exogram version. But I've already scouted a nice local bargain.

I left the brakes out of the order waiting to save for a better set (ee cycleworks in mind for Christmas) as I heard the Sram's are not that great. (-162grms compared to Sram Red ones)

Questions:
1) Is GXP the way to go (weight-wise) for Italian BB. Or should I consider BB30?

2) Can I use the 105 brakes until I get a new set?. Too difficult to tune to the SRAM ratio or is it possible? It's a transitional decission I wont last too much until i get new ones.

3) Do you Pinarello users know if there are a set of plugs to cover the cable holes? any McGyver trick instead?

4) Are ee brakes appropiate for Pinarello frames. How do they pair with Sram levers?

Next moves in my plan, suggestions accepted:
Yeah cut the fork and get rid of those two spacers on top of stem.
Most Alu Handlebar (too heavy) 315gr (-100gr)
Minor gains: latex tubes (-100gr), lighter tyres, bolts, bar tape, QR's, bottle cages... (-100gr)

Wheels: current are alu 38mm clinchers by Progress model Phantom (spanish brand) weighting 1460gr. The set w/o QR.

I think that this will be the last decission since I'm happy with the current set. But easily I would be reducing 250 grams at least w/o much hassle going for a set of 38mm carbon clinchers.

Roughly I think that this way I will approach a sub 7kg.

I'll make an Excel sheet with real weights and update the thread as the build advance. It's my first bike weight weenie project build since the late 90's MTB titanium fever. Although the frame is not specially light, I'm excited again, so any advise would be greeted.Image

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I think its a good plan, Ive run sram mechanical with 105 brakes no issue.
Id agree to keep the progress wheels, (although obviously chinese made) mine are quite strong, quite light and durable
Rotor crankset instead of SRAM may be cheaper and keep the Spanish theme??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

osw000

by osw000

Well a spanish theme was not the initial idea for this bike. I should have started with an spanish frame (Orbea or BH) and follow with the new Rotor groupset and so on. I finally keeped the "don't mix groupset components" recomendation and went for Sram Red crankset (172,5mm, GXP, 50-34) which came lighter than expected at 574gr, saving 167grs from 105 crankset.
Also got the Red calipers to be able to sell the complete 105 groupset now and still lighter. So ee brakes posponed for a while.