2018 power meter options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Been a while since I paid any attention to this end of things. I need a new power meter, usually I go for Rotor INpower due to price and the fact that it's nicely tucked away in the BB.

Is it dated now, are there better value options out there these days?

Need something easy to install on a Cervelo P2. Quite happy to run rotor PM, cranks and chainrings but prepared to try something new too. Quark was bringing out the SRAM Red power meter crankset when I was shopping around a while back and I see that's out now. Is it decent/worth the extra cash over INpower?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I just switched to a P2Max Campagnolo NG on my Tarmac, and will be installing them on my other 2 bikes. Been a long time SRM guy, but with the SRM Campy being $1300 USD more, and needing to send it down every 1.5 years(ish) for battery/servicing, I just decided to switch.. they look virtually identical anyways, and use the same crankarms... P2Max was also awesome for CS.. replies to emails almost immediately, ordered and sent the same day, and I had it 3 days later (although I am in Canada, and so are they)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you are fine with running Look cleats, the Favero Assioma Duo can't really be beat. They're one of the only PMs that officially support non-round rings (besides Rotor's own offerings.) They're relatively inexpensive. They're going to be the lightest PM/crank combo overall unless you go with exotic cranks.

robertbb

by robertbb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 pm
If you are fine with running Look cleats, the Favero Assioma Duo can't really be beat. They're one of the only PMs that officially support non-round rings (besides Rotor's own offerings.) They're relatively inexpensive. They're going to be the lightest PM/crank combo overall unless you go with exotic cranks.
+1000000

Vuong05

by Vuong05

TobinHatesYou wrote:
+10000

That's what I went with recently when I was in the market for a new power meter. No regrets yet in the 2 months I've own the unit.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have no comparison, but have been happy with the garmin vectra (gen 3) pedals. Reviews have been very positive vs older versions, and they seem to be the cats a$$. Seem to compare well for accuracy vs other options. The only downside for me is a 60g premium over dura ace.

mag

by mag

So you don't have the Rotor INpower anymore (or is it not working)? Because it's still a good PM and if it works, I'd stick with it.

sennder

by sennder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
As an extra plus, the Assiomas are rumored to announce support for Cycling Dynamics (as seen on Garmin Vectors) very soon.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RocketRacing wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:28 am
I have no comparison, but have been happy with the garmin vectra (gen 3) pedals. Reviews have been very positive vs older versions, and they seem to be the cats a$$. Seem to compare well for accuracy vs other options. The only downside for me is a 60g premium over dura ace.
I have both the Vector 3s and Favero Assioma. If the Vectors have one advantage, it's that they're easier to clip out of with official KeO cleats. I might have the tension on the Assiomas set too high at the moment, so I need more time to play with it.

The 60g premium on pedals is moot when you can ditch heavier crankset/spider based PMs.
sennder wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
As an extra plus, the Assiomas are rumored to announce support for Cycling Dynamics (as seen on Garmin Vectors) very soon.
AFAIK they are just waiting on it becoming part of ANT+ officially rather than the private implementation Garmin is using. Even Garmin will have to roll out updates for both its pedals and head units when it all gets ratified.

sennder

by sennder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:45 am
I have both the Vector 3s and Favero Assioma. If the Vectors have one advantage, it's that they're easier to clip out of with official KeO cleats. I might have the tension on the Assiomas set too high at the moment, so I need more time to play with it.
Have you had any unwanted unclipping incidents with the official keo cleats on the Assiomas that some people have complained about online?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sennder wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:23 am

Have you had any unwanted unclipping incidents with the official keo cleats on the Assiomas that some people have complained about online?

I believe those complaints are with worn cleats. My cleats are very new and I'm having the opposite issue. I'll have to take a couple turns out for my next ride to see if the lower tension makes it easier to clip out. I actually meant to do it before my ride today, but forgot.

With my Vector 3s, I have them cranked to about 2/3rds tension for use with zero-float cleats.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have a question about pedal based power meters.

Does the mounting torque influence the readings? I heard that some are a pain to get to get consistent readings from when pedals have to be mounted/unmounted.

Lets say you have multiple bikes or you like to travel and the bikebag requires you to unmount the pedals.

sennder

by sennder

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 am

Does the mounting torque influence the readings? I heard that some are a pain to get to get consistent readings from when pedals have to be mounted/unmounted.

Lets say you have multiple bikes or you like to travel and the bikebag requires you to unmount the pedals.
I believe the current generation of power meter pedals (Garmin Vector 3, Powertap P1/P2, Favero Assioma) don't require a specific torque for installation. The older Garmin Vectors required a torque wrench for getting accurate readings.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 am

Some pedals have slightly more complicated installation requirements like the old Vectors and the SRM/Look Exakts. The Vector 3s, PowerTap P1/P2s and Favero Assiomas have no torque requirements other than they be reasonably tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

@Tobin running Speedplays so the Favero's are out unfortunately.

@mep still have the INpower on my road bike, but have a TT bike on the way. Wondering if it's smartest to use same PM on both bikes for consistency, or should I take the opportunity to try something new..