Campagnolo Super Record EPS V3 Rear Derailleur Problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matrix

by matrix

I purchased a used bike not too long ago with Campy EPS.

I did a ride today and for the second half of it, the RD stopped shifting altogether. On the descent, I shifted all the way to the 11T and it just stayed that way. When I got home, I checked the battery, diagnostics via campy app, did a magnetic reboot, and everything seemed alright. A single press on the right shifter's mode button displays a green, non blinking LED on the junction box. This leads me to believe that the right shifter wires are connected properly (right)?

Has anyone experienced this issue before? It's quite annoying. Off to see what the shop says tomorrow.....
In the case of warranties should something go wrong, I highly doubt Campy would honor a second owner w/o receipt..

I should also mention that the bike has been "tuned up" from a LBS with upgraded firmware, zero setting, and ride setting prior to doing the ride today. The shifting was fine until the error occured.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you will need to service the rear derailleur. the green means there is a problem with rear derailleur.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

A rear derailleur fault should result in a rapidly flashing green light when you try to operate the shift buttons. The solid green LED when pressing the mode button simply means the battery is at least 60% charged.

I had one stop shifting last year but I got the aforementioned flashing green LED. In my case the position resolver had failed so it needed a new actuator. The cause was not determined but it was a pre-owned mech too so no warranty cover. I've been on V2 and V3 EPS almost exclusively since 2015 and this was one of only two faults I've experienced to date.

It may be coincidence, but if the system has just been updated and reset and was working OK before I'd be inclined to revisit that first. Are you sure it's not been unintentionally unhooked into 'ride home' mode somehow?

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I haven’t had this problem (you are obviously on v3) and I haven’t heard of anyone else.

Yes, the first thing to check is the rear shifter and derailleur connections.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Mockenrue wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm
A rear derailleur fault should result in a rapidly flashing green light when you try to operate the shift buttons. The solid green LED when pressing the mode button simply means the battery is at least 60% charged.

I had one stop shifting last year but I got the aforementioned flashing green LED. In my case the position resolver had failed so it needed a new actuator. The cause was not determined but it was a pre-owned mech too so no warranty cover. I've been on V2 and V3 EPS almost exclusively since 2015 and this was one of only two faults I've experienced to date.

It may be coincidence, but if the system has just been updated and reset and was working OK before I'd be inclined to revisit that first. Are you sure it's not been unintentionally unhooked into 'ride home' mode somehow?
In Ride Back Home mode, the RD will still shift, it's just innacurate - but it wouldn't be able to get to the 11-cog in RBH mode.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

matrix wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:46 am
I purchased a used bike not too long ago with Campy EPS.

I did a ride today and for the second half of it, the RD stopped shifting altogether. On the descent, I shifted all the way to the 11T and it just stayed that way. When I got home, I checked the battery, diagnostics via campy app, did a magnetic reboot, and everything seemed alright. A single press on the right shifter's mode button displays a green, non blinking LED on the junction box. This leads me to believe that the right shifter wires are connected properly (right)?

Has anyone experienced this issue before? It's quite annoying. Off to see what the shop says tomorrow.....
In the case of warranties should something go wrong, I highly doubt Campy would honor a second owner w/o receipt..

I should also mention that the bike has been "tuned up" from a LBS with upgraded firmware, zero setting, and ride setting prior to doing the ride today. The shifting was fine until the error occured.
As with practically all manufacturers, no, Campagnolo don't warranty second owners - only purchases from new, with a retailer proof of purchase, from a legitimate retailer only (not eBay, Gumtree, etc) ... ex-Team material is also excluded.

A couple of notes:

If you get an error like this, sometimes a single short press of a mode button (as when doing a battery check) will cancel the issue and the shifting will resume. It's rare but sometimes external electromagnetic disturbance can cause a system freeze and so this type of "soft" reboot is needed.

If that fails, a harder reboot, switching the system off for 30 - 40 sec with the magnetic band and back on again will fix the error.

Switching off for 40 sec and attaching the charger and switching the charger on is the hardest reboot it's possible to do (as it also reboots the battery management s/w) but that's something which is decidedly atypical and in v3 I don't think I have ever had to use as a reboot technique on a v3 system.

If the customer setting or the zero-setting routine works, there isn't a connectivity error as the shifter still has to connect to the Interface just the same as it does in order to shift. That would imply some software corruption which is not necessarily as dire as it sounds ... a zero set will usually fix it in v3.

A question, though - you mention that the shop "upgraded firmware, zero setting, and ride setting prior to doing the ride today". When you say ride setting, do you mean the way the system eacts to control inputs (i.e. through the App, to change the shift lever functions, or how the derailleurs react to those commands) or do you mean that they used customer adjust (i.e. not through the App, single long press on a mode button, purple LED, ability to move whole shift pattern R or L at the RD or change the stroke length of the FD)? If the former, fine, if the latter, that shouldn't be required if the zero-set was correctly carried out, unless the zero set is correctly carried out on one wheelset and you change to another where the cassette body is in a slightly different place relative to the drop-out / hanger.

Occasionally a derailleur will freeze if the derailleur position reported to the PU by the position resolver post-shift does not tie up with where the PU "thinks" the derailleur is supposed to be. That can happen if the low limit screw is slightly mis-set, positioned too far "in" so that although you can get the biggest sprocket, the RD can't "quite" go as far as the setting indicates that it should and the PU thinks it should - so then you get a position mis-match and the RD, as a safety feature, is not then allowed to shift until the error is rectified. If the derailleur freezes on the smallest sprocket, it's just possible that something is stopping the RD moving far enough "out" so again the position reported by the position resolver and where the PU "thinks" the mech is supposed to be don't match. I've never seen that happen but it is a theoretical possibility.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com