Crit Racing newbee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Any advice?

I am wondering if a bit lower tyre pressure is a good idea (90 psi) for increased grip?

Avoid being in the back of the pack, less chance of being taken out in a crash or having to bridge a gap?

Thanks!!!
:beerchug:
I’ve been running veloflex arenbergs for around 10 years. I use 100 front, 105 rear. I don’t think tire pressure will affect your chances of falling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Thanks everyone, great advice!!!! This forum really is great :-)
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Have fun! Dont take it too serious to start. Just go out, have fun. Shake out the nerves. You will do better than you think, but have tons to learn.

Also check out the youtube videos by “jasper.” “Hello cycling fffffffanatics!” They have a lot of strategy insight.

Connor

by Connor

Also! Practice sprinting at speed! Good technique will take you far. It can a few races to get used to going into a sprint at 50+ km/h

Chirobike

by Chirobike

It's been many moons since this slow roller raced crits well but what was true then still seems to be true now. The beginning of the race is at or past most people's anerobic threshold for a reason...to quickly drop riders who are not well conditioned. I think more riders are aware of that now and train appropriately for it. Inevitably, the pace seems to always slow after the first few laps so survive until then, much easier at the front 1/3 like what was already said. Bike handling is a must meaning learn to do more w/o use of brakes...out of the draft to slow, riding close and holding your line, bunny hopping w/o incident, braking hard w/o locking up, pedaling through corners (knowing when and when NOT) and remembering sliding does not equal crashing. Remember where the pit is! If you are fit enough to know what lap you're on and actually hear the damn bell on the last lap then knowing your course and competition is important otherwise that information never makes it to your brain in time b/c you are just exhausted. If you know the course well, there can be advantages...being able to hold a tight corner while others naturally swing wide gives you a clean shot in sprint or moving up, seeing a manhole cover that others will avoid and bunch the pack gives you time to get the hell out of that line, sprinting next to the curb keeps others from coming up on you, bike throw by the idiot who slows before the line for his glory shot (it happens). I never did any cyclocross but looking back I think that has a lot of applicable skills at slower speeds so maybe try some of that too.