Campagnolo EPS Externally Installed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Can this be done on a mechanical frame? Some reading around tells me it’s not recommended as Campy wires are meant to be “outside” the frame. Seems dumb on their part to not offer a specific external mounting kit as Shimano does with Di2. Ive always (over 30 years) rode Campagnolo but I may have to reluctantly switch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Is it a carbon frame? You could simply make the holes you need for an internal install, if you were determined. Of course you can install EPS externally, there's an external battery mount, just that external wires are not very aesthetic.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

I would suggest you're a niche. Most modern bikes are internally routed and with the exception of a few that are a little too DI2 specific, the EPS system fits them all. It's kind of a hierarchy. A frame that gets EPS would likely be high end enough to have internal routing. Exceptions would include entry level custom or custom by choice or older frames.

However, there are solutions. My 1982 wilier triestina has no holes for EPS and yet has a decently clean EPS setup. Aftermarket Aluminum seatpost has a hole in it (and some soldering) allowed me to put the power unit in the seat post. The drain holes at the BB are just large enough to have the cables come out. The chainstay has 3m frame protector tape to hold the cable to it for the Rear derailleur. I could have easily mounted the interface at the stem, but extended the shifter cables to place it at the seat post. (increasing convience because the brake bridge is the perfect place to lay the charger). Brake cable is external on top tube with rings, so the cable is heat shrunk to the brake cable.

So you're in the <1% club for this problem like I was. When you're in something so strange compared to the norm it would be up to you to solve the problems -- or a shop if you're willing to spend money.

Also, remember V1 was partially externally routed with similar cables. So it can be done but you do have cable risks.

The 3M frame protector tape was suggested by a shop it's a good call for the inside edge of the frame stay. I could have drilled it but very unique frame I don't want to damage after it's been restored.

alistaird

by alistaird

kwakekeham wrote:I would suggest you're a niche. Most modern bikes are internally routed and with the exception of a few that are a little too DI2 specific, the EPS system fits them all. It's kind of a hierarchy. A frame that gets EPS would likely be high end enough to have internal routing. Exceptions would include entry level custom or custom by choice or older frames.

However, there are solutions. My 1982 wilier triestina has no holes for EPS and yet has a decently clean EPS setup. Aftermarket Aluminum seatpost has a hole in it (and some soldering) allowed me to put the power unit in the seat post. The drain holes at the BB are just large enough to have the cables come out. The chainstay has 3m frame protector tape to hold the cable to it for the Rear derailleur. I could have easily mounted the interface at the stem, but extended the shifter cables to place it at the seat post. (increasing convience because the brake bridge is the perfect place to lay the charger). Brake cable is external on top tube with rings, so the cable is heat shrunk to the brake cable.

So you're in the <1% club for this problem like I was. When you're in something so strange compared to the norm it would be up to you to solve the problems -- or a shop if you're willing to spend money.

Also, remember V1 was partially externally routed with similar cables. So it can be done but you do have cable risks.

The 3M frame protector tape was suggested by a shop it's a good call for the inside edge of the frame stay. I could have drilled it but very unique frame I don't want to damage after it's been restored.
That's really interesting. Have you posted photos somewhere of the finished bike?

A

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

It's in my steel recommendation request thread.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 2#p1413130

but direct to imgur pics here. I don't have close ups of the wiring really but I could do that if interested. Bikes next to me.
https://imgur.com/a/83YV0aj

alistaird

by alistaird

Thanks....

Interesting build... Glad you shared.

A

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 am
Can this be done on a mechanical frame? Some reading around tells me it’s not recommended as Campy wires are meant to be “outside” the frame. Seems dumb on their part to not offer a specific external mounting kit as Shimano does with Di2. Ive always (over 30 years) rode Campagnolo but I may have to reluctantly switch.
It wasn't part of the design brief because as much as possible of the wiring loom was designed to be integral with the power unit, to cut down on the number of mositure-vulnerable connection points. Campagnolo wanted to make sure that the possibility of moisture ingress was as close to zero as possible - they appear to have succeeded, we've seen only a handful of cases in the 7 years since EPS was launched, of moisture finding it's way into the plugs connectors.

In order to do a relatively easy external mount and make it tidy, like Di2, a range of cable options have to be offered, which would mean probably three of four PU / basic loom SKUs - a stocking and manufacturing nightmare - and as othes have said, the general expectation was for the EPS group to be mounted to modern frames with internal porting provided, so that pain would have to be bourne for a small niche within what at the time, was a fairly small market anyway (elecrtonic shifting was a relatively slow-burn for both Shimano and Campag in the early years) ...

There are ways around a lack of frame ports - I drilled a single port in an Orix frame for Dave Harmon back in 2011 to do a mounting similar to that described by kwakekeham ... sorry no images - so that we could do a quick-and-dirty build for an event he was riding on an existing frame. We subsequently drilled all the normal ports and rebuilt it, after consulting with Orix ... You just have to be a little inventive. There's no real problem running the cables externally, it's just not recommended in the sense that it's not how the system was designed to be used ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

since it is a steel frame you can safely drill small 8 mm hole for the wires, one on seat tube for the front derailleur and and one on chainstay and one on inside bottom bracket to get to chainstay. by slow and deliberate.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

graeme_f_k wrote: Thanks Graeme, was hoping you’d reply. It’s a 2014 Time NXS/Izon mechanical version. I’ve decided to keep it Record Mechanical. I wish Campy developed an external kit, but realizes their resources aren’t like Shimano’s. But I do prefer Campy as it’s stunning kit.
Cheers from USA! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com