Lightweight brakes from the 90s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matteozolt

by matteozolt

Hi everyone!
I'm not really a weight weenie in real life, but I enjoy collecting some gems sometimes.
So, I was planning to build myself a steel road bike (yep, I'm one of them sorry! I still beleive steel is real :D) from the 90s with lots of superlight and aftermarket components such as ergal, titanium and cnc made stuff, just to try buildin up a sub 7kg bike (utopia, but still wanna try)

Now, I think I recovered most of the parts, but I got stuck on the brakes. Noticed many brands came on the market after 2000 with super light brake models, such as Ciamillo, M5, Kcnc, THM, TRP, BC2A Design, eeCycleworks etc, but I was wondering if any light calipers or aftermarket bolt kits were produced in the 90s.

Anybody knows?
Thanks!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Can’t help you pick the brakes from that era but I know a couple of guys with sub 7kg steel builds (full SRAM Red) and Stinner recently shared a build they were a part of from a couple of years back, the result was a 5.3kg steel bike but with modern lightweight components - https://www.instagram.com/p/BpZtBh9lHrz ... zfaxylxdi6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

SunTour Superbe Pro and Modolo-Mavic. Throw in some Ti bolts

mattr

by mattr

I had some pretty light Modolos on my Vitus 787 BITD.

Didn't actually slow you down very much. But then, it'd wasn't like you were going to get round the corner either, 787 wasn't exactly confidence inspiring in the handling department........

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Cane Creek had some of the lightest. I don't recall the model number at the moment, but they were basically a Diacompe caliper with TI hardware.

FYI

F45

by F45

I convinced my dad to get me the Cane Creek single pivot ti brakes when I was a junior. I used them for ten years and sold them with the bike. They worked fine, only drawback we found was the finicky setup.

mythical

by mythical

I think you might mean Cane Creek 200SL's. If i recall correctly, they were in the low 200's for the pair (hence the name). I remember they were highly sought after by riders wanting to lighten their road bike.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Brew Racing frames used to sell the Dia-Compe brakes with the main arms stripped and the ti bolts machined further so they were even lighter but my understanding is they didn’t work too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

dia compe brs-200s were the most reliable and stopping was ok

glepore

by glepore

+1 on the above. FRM also sold these (brs200sl) under their brand. Had a pair of these.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jahknob

by jahknob

CLBSpaceline9.jpg
CLBSpaceline8.jpg
CLBSpaceline1.jpg
If you go back a bit further to the 1980s Jeannie Longo was one of a number of pros who used CLB Spaceline brakes. Considering the simplicity of the design and the small size of the pads, they actually stopped pretty well (much better than the Modolo Kronos or Dia Compe Aero Gran Compe). These came with a pair of plastic "aero" covers for the calipers and a complete set of cable housing made of alloy. The levers had a rudimentary mechanism to allow cable routing under the bar tape or through the handlebars, but I was never able to make this work..
Fractionally heavier, and without the alloy cable outers and aero covers were the CLB Professional brakes - still simple, small and very lightweight for the time..

desperado95219

by desperado95219

Agree with a couple of the contributrs above. I rode Modolo Kronos but then switched to CLB Spaceline which were still lighter (under 200 gms.) and did do a better job of stopping....but good luck trying to find a pair.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

These ones were also sold by SunTour as part of their SL groupset, only without the ti bolts. Still very good weight and cheap as chips in 1991-92

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

They weigh like 300g or something hideous like that, but Dia Compe's AC-300g callipers have to be the best looking (and probably one of the most aero too) brakes of the late 80's/early 90's
I have some and they work alright, even with the monumentally cool and monumentally shit Modolo Kronos brake levers with which they're paired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jahknob

by jahknob

I just sold my Spacelines (probably had them for almost 30 years, used sparingly, they were pretty much immaculate) to a person finishing up a full vintage lightweight build. Still have a set of the CLB Professional brakes available if any weenies are into vintage builds..