Time Alpe D’Huez 01 vs. Time Scylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

angrylegs

by angrylegs

JKolmo wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 am
The 01 has a proprietary zero setback seatpost with a unique shape, a one-off item. AFAIK the 21 has a regular 27.2 post though.
Ah wow did not know that. I thought DEADRE was trying to maintain model purity by using only their post, but it's being completely unique and unable to be replaced really surprises me. You'd think they would offer it in a setback version as well.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

You guys seem to be forgetting that the seattube angle is smaller compared to most bikes which offsets the forward position of the 0-offset seatpost to some degree. They do have a geometry and quite a short reach for their size - but so does the Scylon. But rather than 'gonig up a size' as a matter of course, its always wise to carefully consult the geometry chart to help you decide.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muti

by muti

From s to xl the seat tube angle is 73 degrees.In s and m you can debate it is a bit more slack than normal(typically 74-73.5),but for sizes L and XL it's in the normal range(even "steep" for XL where a lot of manufacturers use 72.5).

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

muti wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 am
I think Time has to offer a setback option ASAP.Moving in front the saddle and using a longer stem is an option that compromises the fit for a lot of people.And at that pricepoint it should not happen,especially for Time's clientele(usually experienced riders with knowledge of their bike fit).The 21 frame for me is one of the best choices in the industry today(well priced,made in France,Time quality,27.2 seatpost that gives you infinite choices).I know that it uses basphalt instead of vectran,that it is a little heavier,but in reality,given the freedom that it gives you to use any seatpost you want,you can get it to pretty close to the weight of the 01 and have money to spare for a good set of wheels.The "problem" of the 21 is that a lot of people(maybe myself included though I 'm fighting it)cannot swallow their prides and admit/accept that it is the frame they actually need.
I have a 2012 Time RXRS and wanted to replace it with the Skylon but with the O offset seat option I really couldnt make a medium fit proper which is what I was riding. The geometry is works for me but the shorter TT and 0 offset does not work and I really didnt want to move to a large frame all because of the 0 offset. That was the deal breaker for me and now I have a Colnago V2R which fits me perfectly with more than 0 offset. I think its 20mm.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

AJS914

by AJS914

It looks like they are measuring the seat tube angle from the center of the BB to the front side of the seat tube. A 0 offset post probably puts one in the same position as if they had measured normally but provided a normal offset seatpost.

Dumb question, maybe. I thought it was the "Skylon"? And when I search the web I find reviews for a Skylon but I do see on the Time web site that it is now a Scylon. Is this a new model or name change?

kgt

by kgt

+1
A setback seatpost is not needed. In practice the actual angle is even less steep than the geometry implies. Keep also in mind that an M size is closer to L (555 top tube). An XL size is really closer to XXL. So, the geometry of newer TIME frames is compact, for sure, but the non setback seatpost is not an issue. That is how it should be.

And Scylon is the new name for Skylon since a couple of years. There was some copyright issue, that's why the changed it.

DEADRE

by DEADRE

angrylegs wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm
JKolmo wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 am
The 01 has a proprietary zero setback seatpost with a unique shape, a one-off item. AFAIK the 21 has a regular 27.2 post though.
Ah wow did not know that. I thought DEADRE was trying to maintain model purity by using only their post, but it's being completely unique and unable to be replaced really surprises me. You'd think they would offer it in a setback version as well.
Below is the shape / images of the seat post from Time.

Regarding the S k c ylone seat post, there is a guy in Ebay, saying / stating, that the seat post from a Cipollini bikes are compatible to the S k c ylone (if it is compatible then, that solves the clamp issue that I have been reading from another Skylone thread & any cyclist fancying this frame but is bothered about the non-setback seat post, then problem solved).
See below link and read up to the bottom of the auction (perhaps someone reading this can attest to this sellers claim) :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CIPOLLINI-CARB ... rk:16:pf:0

kgt

by kgt

Beautiful! Waiting for the final outcome.
BTW I doubt that a Cipollini seatpost is compatible. I used to ride one and I remember it had a different section than the one on my Skylon. I may be wrong though.

pkaro

by pkaro

Beautiful bike, also waiting on the outcome! I'm considering a 2015 Time Skylon, and am wondering what kind of tire clearance it has, and what wheels you would recommend to go with the bike. I would love to run 25 mm Corsas and would need to find a suitably wide carbon clincher (like 27 mm outer width) for those sweet aero gains.