Time Alpe D’Huez 01 vs. Time Scylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DEADRE

by DEADRE

n/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DEADRE

by DEADRE

Here is the other spacer that has the groves intended for the Time stem.
The othe silver thingy is the tool you need to unscrew the headset off the frame.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

DEADRE wrote: The othe silver thingy is the tool you need to unscrew the headset off the frame.

Interesting. Seems they have considerably changed the headset from the RXR days then. Used to require two pins to be inserted at the collar above the head tube but now I can’t even see where that tool would engage. Is it inside underneath the spacers?

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Those cables from the bar to down tube don’t look long enough for my liking

JKolmo

by JKolmo

@DEADRE: what size is your frame? XS? Thanks!

DEADRE

by DEADRE

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 pm
DEADRE wrote: Interesting. Seems they have considerably changed the headset from the RXR days then. Used to require two pins to be inserted at the collar above the head tube but now I can’t even see where that tool would engage. Is it inside underneath the spacers?

DEADRE

by DEADRE

JKolmo wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm
@DEADRE: what size is your frame? XS? Thanks!
XSmall

Just a heads up, because wlth these 0 setback seat post, i recomend in getting 1 size up from the size of frame you would normally get. I barely made the cut with a 130 stem. If there was a set back, stem would have been 100.

Also really disappointed with TIME, making the decision (I know, I know, did not have to buy it) that a 0 setback has more power transfer vs. a setback. I don't know about that, but I know for a fact (if you have ever discovered this as a rider) when I had the VXRS, I would lean my butt back a bit on the saddle to have more extension (certain situation when I had to use this technique) on the legs and it gave me more power transfer. But in this situation, with the legs more forward, I can't achieve that technique.

To the OP, not sure which part of the world you are in, but in the USA, the TIME S k / c ylon as far as demand is concern, nobody really cares for that model. I have seen 2 (brand new) of these models up in ebay & it sold between 1500 to 1800 (aktiv fork). I managed to sell mine, for 2000 from a guy in Japan, his was the only bid on the frame, so that is saying something. I know there was guy w/ a French paint job, full Ultegra (all brand new) asking between 3000 to 3500, no takers. Point being, just wait, you'll get it dirt cheap.
Last edited by DEADRE on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

DEADRE

by DEADRE

Zakalwe wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm
Those cables from the bar to down tube don’t look long enough for my liking
They were long, but after a 2 rides, the beads tightened up & it got short. So with that being said, had to apply another set of of shifter cables & added some more beads, so that the steering wheel can fully turn left / right.

DEADRE

by DEADRE

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 am
I’m afraid to ask how much does it weight as it!!

As for the cables. Seems to me that if you had crossed the cables before entering the frame that may not be such an issue. Same looks in my Colnago C60, but since the cables sweep to the opposite side before entering, it looks more “natural” I guess.

That bikes and choice of components is super hot AF!!!!
I have to get back to you in regards to the weight. I changed a few things from what TIME was providing on the frame as well as other personal parts:
- Titanium bolts on the saddle
- AX Lightness craddle
- AX Lightness yoke, that is above the craddle
- Replaced the carbon spacers w/ Tune magnesium spacers
- Just waiting for the carbon top cap from Schmolke

Yes you are right, I should have criss crossed that. Only realized it after the build. Yeah, a bit too late to fix thou, I used a BB infinite BB, so I have have to remove the BB to have access w/ the internal cables.

Thank you, really wanted to put a THM handlebar / stem, but that 0 setback seatpost killed that idea, as I need a 130 stem (THM only does 120 & will not be able to fit on the bike in doing so)
I think, I will have to replace the THM crankset (replace it w/ the matching Campy Super RS crankset, to match the components), as the BB infinite BB is not working out, in a sense that there is resistance when pedaling. Unless you guys can suggest a BB 386 that spins with out resistance (I will be placing a topic about it, along with a video so that you guys have a better idea what I'm refering too.)

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Thanks for the tip to go one size bigger DEADRE!

I am going to shoot for one of these frames, just contemplating what would be proper size here. I have a BB to top of saddle of 70.5cm and am 171cm short. I usually have a quite stretched out position with quite long stems, and also prefer to avoid spacer towers. Might be hovering between S and XS and your advice to go one size larger is very interesting.

What BB to top of saddle measure do you have? Thanks again!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Image[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks. Also good to note a lot of the saddle and cradle choices that would make it even lighter.

As far as the BB and cranks, I’d say go with the Campy ones. They are virtually bulletproof for life. I’ve been very tempted so many times to pull the trigger on some THM cranks, but story after story off BB creaking and other issues have kept me from it. While I’m all for lightweight innovative products, I far more value “set it and forget it”!!!

Look forward to your weight in. Awesome if I haven’t said it yet!!

angrylegs

by angrylegs

DEADRE, can you not swap out the seat post for another with set back? I'd do that over a 130mm stem, especially if you have complaints about it.

Really curious about what you think of the ride quality. I'm debating between this and another bike for my bike to build over the winter. Haven't had a new bike in 10 years and I am long overdue. Congrats on yours!

JKolmo

by JKolmo

The 01 has a proprietary zero setback seatpost with a unique shape, a one-off item. AFAIK the 21 has a regular 27.2 post though.

muti

by muti

I think Time has to offer a setback option ASAP.Moving in front the saddle and using a longer stem is an option that compromises the fit for a lot of people.And at that pricepoint it should not happen,especially for Time's clientele(usually experienced riders with knowledge of their bike fit).The 21 frame for me is one of the best choices in the industry today(well priced,made in France,Time quality,27.2 seatpost that gives you infinite choices).I know that it uses basphalt instead of vectran,that it is a little heavier,but in reality,given the freedom that it gives you to use any seatpost you want,you can get it to pretty close to the weight of the 01 and have money to spare for a good set of wheels.The "problem" of the 21 is that a lot of people(maybe myself included though I 'm fighting it)cannot swallow their prides and admit/accept that it is the frame they actually need.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com