Which do you choose? TimeMachine vs Madone

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
chuckd

by chuckd

Hello and thank you..

This weekend I am buying either a 2017 BMC TimeMachine TMR01 or a 2017 Trek Madone 9.2.

Which would you choose and why?

Both have similar Ultegra setups, both have similar wheels.

I plan on spending a lot of time in the saddle. It will be my only bike. I ride mostly FLATS in Florida.

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Get the Trek.. the Madone is likely more aero.. neither are current designs, but the TMR01 is pretty old.. atleast 3-4 years older design.

chuckd

by chuckd

Thank you for that input. :)
Regardless of which i choose, I will post pics and an introduction.
I am also leaning towards the Madone.

chuckd

by chuckd

I would love any other inputs. I'm largely a noob and would love any advice or guidance.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

How much money are we talking about.. anyways?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

chuckd wrote:I would love any other inputs. I'm largely a noob and would love any advice or guidance.
Buy the one that appeals to you aesthetically the most. They will both suit you just as well if they both for you the same.

Treks are common in FL. Very common. BMC not so much at all. That nonsense matters to many.

izza

by izza

Madone - Trek’s support is second to none (here in UK). Given head iffice in US and BMC is Swiss I’d guess better over on your side of the Pond.

Plus Isospeed is great. A gimmick I really noticed.

With a bit of work you can get latest stems to work on Madone 9’s. So if you get a H1 or H2 you can get it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Trek definitely for me... newer of the two

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, I thought the same thing about the isospeed things - a gimmick. I can tell you that it is most certainly NOT a gimmick, Isospeed is for REAL.

I have a bunch of 'conventional' aero rides (S5, McLaren Venge, etc.). One thing you notice after only 100km is the buzzing in your hands that you will feel for hours after the ride. That does not happen on the Madone. The Isospeed system takes the 'sting' out of aero, which is a necessary result of the deep-section tube shapes that are stiff enough in the bottombracket. You will be pleasantly surprised.

otoman

by otoman

Make sure the Madone fits. I know that sounds obvious but the seatpost height has limited adjustability with a much narrower min/max than pretty much any other road setup.

It was on my radar until I saw that the max height was well below my normal saddle height.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

otoman wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 pm
Make sure the Madone fits. I know that sounds obvious but the seatpost height has limited adjustability with a much narrower min/max than pretty much any other road setup.

It was on my radar until I saw that the max height was well below my normal saddle height.
that make a couple different lengths for that reason.

otoman

by otoman

true yes, but even then, the seat height range is far less than what you can get with a standard post. Just something to look out for. :D
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

bilwit

by bilwit

..we talking the old timemachine road and the new Madone disc?

for rim brakes, I wouldn't trust the chainstay DM brakes on the TMR or the integrated proprietary brakes on the Madone

:noidea:
Last edited by bilwit on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

I love my Madone. I suggest going with it. It’s like riding a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

Both are excellent.
BMC is of course more exclusive as you don't see that many (compared to Trek, Spezialized, etc....).

I would however check the geometry etc..... :wink: