Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm
D'oh, yeah 15mm. Rockshox Pike 150mm travel. 26 inch
Just took me 2 minutes to find a 100x15 Maxle threaded axle for £20. Sure it's not as universal as a QR, but it's not that much of an issue.

joejack951

by joejack951

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm
For example I'm keen to adopt the new SRAM 12 speed if everything will fit on my current bike, becuase I think 12 gears with a 10 tooth small cog is worth it, even if I have to buy a new rear hub. What I don't want is someone trying to force me into what frameset or brake system I have to use.
I've tried to make the same point before but here is another great example of it. Just like you don't plan to buy a new frameset to run 12 speed (which, c'mon, how much more marketing gimmick can you get than one more rear cog?) if you don't 'need' the latest and greatest frameset (hint: you don't) no one will be capable of 'forcing' disc brakes on you. Worst case you need hydro rim brake calipers if SRAM or whoever decides not to make mechanical levers for their gorupset (a strong possibility).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm
For example I'm keen to adopt the new SRAM 12 speed if everything will fit on my current bike, becuase I think 12 gears with a 10 tooth small cog is worth it, even if I have to buy a new rear hub. What I don't want is someone trying to force me into what frameset or brake system I have to use.
I've tried to make the same point before but here is another great example of it. Just like you don't plan to buy a new frameset to run 12 speed (which, c'mon, how much more marketing gimmick can you get than one more rear cog?) if you don't 'need' the latest and greatest frameset (hint: you don't) no one will be capable of 'forcing' disc brakes on you. Worst case you need hydro rim brake calipers if SRAM or whoever decides not to make mechanical levers for their gorupset (a strong possibility).
the worse case is SRAM introducing the new 12 speed but deciding that they need more space to do this and that the rear end is now a 12x140 maxle, also that they're only making a group set compatible with their disk brakes. Your entire frame is then incopatible with your desired group set. I think this will happen, but when everything goes to 13 or 14 speed.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I bet manufacturers would like a disc brake win a GT then they can stop making rimbrakes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 am
I bet manufacturers would like a disc brake win a GT then they can stop making rimbrakes.
that would be the ultimate prize TDF...rider secondary I'm sure :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am
the worse case is SRAM introducing the new 12 speed but deciding that they need more space to do this and that the rear end is now a 12x140 maxle, also that they're only making a group set compatible with their disk brakes. Your entire frame is then incopatible with your desired group set. I think this will happen, but when everything goes to 13 or 14 speed.
You mean 12x148, AKA Road Boost which has already been seen on some gravel and e-road bikes. That's the one thing that if it comes in will *f##k* the wheel/frame compatibility of everything out there. It's more of a frame manufacturers decision than a groupset manufacturers decision though, SRAM and Shimano don't directly mandate what size hubs to use. Maybe they could design a cassette and freehub that need enough space to make wheel companies think they can't build a stiff enough wheel using 142, but it's doubtful they'd force the issue unless frame manufacturers had decided to use 148 anyway for clearance issues, chainstay width etc.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

“Boost” will come just as soon as the manufacturers sales slow back down, can’t have you using your wheels off your previous disc bike, not when they can sell you a full bike with wheels that are 4%* moar stifferer.

*maybe

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Road boost will have to be accompanied by wider BBs as well.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Which Cannondale are already trying on their SuperX. Shame you’ll all need new cranks/PM’s as well, don’t worry full bikes are available...

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:Road boost will have to be accompanied by wider BBs as well.
Indeed, do we know how much would the Q factor would increase?
Some people currently using longer pedal axles may support it, others may not.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 am
Lewn777 wrote:
You mean 12x148, AKA Road Boost which has already been seen on some gravel and e-road bikes. That's the one thing that if it comes in will *f##k* the wheel/frame compatibility of everything out there. It's more of a frame manufacturers decision than a groupset manufacturers decision though, SRAM and Shimano don't directly mandate what size hubs to use. Maybe they could design a cassette and freehub that need enough space to make wheel companies think they can't build a stiff enough wheel using 142, but it's doubtful they'd force the issue unless frame manufacturers had decided to use 148 anyway for clearance issues, chainstay width etc.
Naive to think that manufacturers won't team up!

mattr

by mattr

C36 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 am
Indeed, do we know how much would the Q factor would increase?
Not too much i hope, i already have to frig around with my MTB to get my feet as close to the cranks as i can.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ our beloved narrow q-factor for road bikes may have to increase to keep you from clipping your heels on the widening rear end chainstays. The madness. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lewn777 wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Naive to think that manufacturers won't team up!
Like they did with Bottom Brackets... yes, let’s all work together here.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Calnago wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 pm
^ our beloved narrow q-factor for road bikes may have to increase to keep you from clipping your heels on the widening rear end chainstays. The madness. :)
It's more the pains in my hips from having to ride bow legged that i'm worried about!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com