Super record 12 brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I thought 25s are now the norm
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Those 25s often turn into 28s or larger on wider rims and people like to put them on bikes designed for when 23s were standard. Every bike I've owned has had brake bridges on the lower side such that the pads on my Campagnolo brakes are always pushed up near the top. If Colnago had given me 2mm extra clearance on the brake bridges I could fit those 28s on my C59 but I'm limited to about 25-26mm actual width in order to have good clearance.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Campy. It seems that they dropped the ball a little bit here. The new 12 speed brakes should have more clearance than the 11 speed brakes designed 5 or 10 years ago not less.
Last edited by AJS914 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mag

by mag

Take measurements of that washer and try to find a thinner alternative. Or file down the original ones, then polish and repaint that.

markyboy

by markyboy

mag wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:10 pm
Take measurements of that washer and try to find a thinner alternative. Or file down the original ones, then polish and repaint that.
Yes thats what im going to do,is it possible to use a flat washer or do they have to be concave?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

AJS914

by AJS914

Without a concave washer you can't angle the brake pads. You could file them to a slight angle though.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^This. If it’s the conical washer I’m thinking of, which the rounded face of the brake shoe fits in, then that is absolutely a critical component to have in place in order to be able to perfectly adjust toe-in, and the vertical angle of contact as the brake pad meets the rim. Without that I could only guess that dialing in optimal brake performance would be next to impossible.
Or is there another concave (I’d say it’s conical but I think we’re talking about the same washer here) washer somewhere that you’re talking about?
As for standards as to where brake mounting holes should be drilled in relation to the wheel, etc... lol... yes, there are/were guidelines, but it’s a crap shoot as to whether any manufacturers really care any more. It’s largely a free for all. It’s really up to the buyer to make sure everything works well together if you’re buying anything other than a complete bike these days.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tommasini

by tommasini

To the OP - how about a picture showing how high up in the slot the pads are. While your issue is the 2018 vs earlier caliper design, I wouldn't be surprised if your pads are up high in the slots which would indicate that your brake bridge is way low thus thats the starting point of the real problem
(but you cant change that as we know).

My first suggested bandaid would be to add a second (or 3rd if possible) serrated washer which brings the rear caliper out a bit and therefore it comes away from the wheel a bit.

markyboy

by markyboy

@tommasini
My first suggested bandaid would be to add a second (or 3rd if possible) serrated washer which brings the rear caliper out a bit and therefore it comes away from the wheel a bit.
Good point if i remember the caliper bolt came out the box with 2 x washers on them,i have never seen that before so i took one off.
When i get home from work ill try it.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2