Page 1 of 1

Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:40 pm
by BdaGhisallo
Does anyone here have any experience with the new Bontrager XXX Aeolus wheels with the lasered brake track? Is it that much of an improvement in the wet? And can you compare it with the Enve textured brake track?

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
by VTR1000SP2
I replaced a set of ENVE's (with the textured brake surface) and am now riding the XXX 4's. Here's how I'd rate them:

Pad wear: ENVE wins (edit: surprisingly this was my experience but I don't mind wearing pads down rapidly)
Brake noise: XXX wins
Initial bite: about the same
Stopping power: about the same

My ENVE's sounded like a bus or dump truck stopping, reminded me of full metal pads I used to run on the track car. I'm glad to be rid of them. If you get the XXX in a TLR, my recomendation is to ditch the TLR rim strip (100grams for the pair) and valve, go with Stan's tape or the like and some Silca or similar alloy valve. Much lighter this way.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
by Weenie

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 pm
by BdaGhisallo
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
I replaced a set of ENVE's (with the textured brake surface) and am now riding the XXX 4's. Here's how I'd rate them:

Pad wear: ENVE wins
Brake noise: XXX wins
Initial bite: about the same
Stopping power: about the same

My ENVE's sounded like a bus or dump truck stopping, reminded me of full metal pads I used to run on the track car. I'm glad to be rid of them. If you get the XXX in a TLR, my recomendation is to ditch the TLR rim strip (100grams for the pair) and valve, go with Stan's tape or the like and some Silca or similar alloy valve. Much lighter this way.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be opting for tubulars. My Enve wheels are great, but.... I am getting bored so something new might be needed!

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:44 pm
by VTR1000SP2
BdaGhisallo wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
I replaced a set of ENVE's (with the textured brake surface) and am now riding the XXX 4's. Here's how I'd rate them:

Pad wear: ENVE wins
Brake noise: XXX wins
Initial bite: about the same
Stopping power: about the same

My ENVE's sounded like a bus or dump truck stopping, reminded me of full metal pads I used to run on the track car. I'm glad to be rid of them. If you get the XXX in a TLR, my recomendation is to ditch the TLR rim strip (100grams for the pair) and valve, go with Stan's tape or the like and some Silca or similar alloy valve. Much lighter this way.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be opting for tubulars. My Enve wheels are great, but.... I am getting bored so something new might be needed!
So my brother went with the XXX 6 tubular from a set of 4.5s with the textured track and he has no regrets either. It was his experience that prompted me to make the move. He runs the Bontrager tubular in 25mm and it’s a great aero fit on that rim width.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm
by BdaGhisallo
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:44 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
I replaced a set of ENVE's (with the textured brake surface) and am now riding the XXX 4's. Here's how I'd rate them:

Pad wear: ENVE wins
Brake noise: XXX wins
Initial bite: about the same
Stopping power: about the same

My ENVE's sounded like a bus or dump truck stopping, reminded me of full metal pads I used to run on the track car. I'm glad to be rid of them. If you get the XXX in a TLR, my recomendation is to ditch the TLR rim strip (100grams for the pair) and valve, go with Stan's tape or the like and some Silca or similar alloy valve. Much lighter this way.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be opting for tubulars. My Enve wheels are great, but.... I am getting bored so something new might be needed!
So my brother went with the XXX 6 tubular from a set of 4.5s with the textured track and he has no regrets either. It was his experience that prompted me to make the move. He runs the Bontrager tubular in 25mm and it’s a great aero fit on that rim width.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's the lateral rigidity in the rear wheel? Any brake pad rubbing?

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:52 pm
by VTR1000SP2
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:44 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
I replaced a set of ENVE's (with the textured brake surface) and am now riding the XXX 4's. Here's how I'd rate them:

Pad wear: ENVE wins
Brake noise: XXX wins
Initial bite: about the same
Stopping power: about the same

My ENVE's sounded like a bus or dump truck stopping, reminded me of full metal pads I used to run on the track car. I'm glad to be rid of them. If you get the XXX in a TLR, my recomendation is to ditch the TLR rim strip (100grams for the pair) and valve, go with Stan's tape or the like and some Silca or similar alloy valve. Much lighter this way.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be opting for tubulars. My Enve wheels are great, but.... I am getting bored so something new might be needed!
So my brother went with the XXX 6 tubular from a set of 4.5s with the textured track and he has no regrets either. It was his experience that prompted me to make the move. He runs the Bontrager tubular in 25mm and it’s a great aero fit on that rim width.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's the lateral rigidity in the rear wheel? Any brake pad rubbing?
So far none.

FYI, at 6w/kg on a climb, I was able to make my ENVE rear rub despite upgrading to CX-Sprint spokes and using the stronger skewer that ENVE recommends for those that have lateral flex. With these XXX wheels, no rub yet climbing at that same wattage.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:41 pm
by RyanH
I only got 600 miles out of my Enve pads and you're saying the Bontragers are worse?

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm
by VTR1000SP2
RyanH wrote:I only got 600 miles out of my Enve pads and you're saying the Bontragers are worse?
Really?

I think I got close to 2300 miles out of my black ENVE pads and am getting close to replacement time on the XXX pads (black prince) with only about 700 on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 pm
by BdaGhisallo
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm
RyanH wrote:I only got 600 miles out of my Enve pads and you're saying the Bontragers are worse?
Really?

I think I got close to 2300 miles out of my black ENVE pads and am getting close to replacement time on the XXX pads (black prince) with only about 700 on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am surprised by that too. The Enve brake track is much more abrasive than is the Bontrager based on what I have seen. Now I haven't ridden the Bontrager but is the Black Prince compound that much softer than the Enve black pad to lead to that much greater wear? Interesting.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 pm
by VTR1000SP2
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm
RyanH wrote:I only got 600 miles out of my Enve pads and you're saying the Bontragers are worse?
Really?

I think I got close to 2300 miles out of my black ENVE pads and am getting close to replacement time on the XXX pads (black prince) with only about 700 on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am surprised by that too. The Enve brake track is much more abrasive than is the Bontrager based on what I have seen. Now I haven't ridden the Bontrager but is the Black Prince compound that much softer than the Enve black pad to lead to that much greater wear? Interesting.
Maybe these wheels are so much faster that I'm just flying now and have to brake that much harder. Seriously though, this could be a localized issue. The ENVE's were on my Cervelo and my Focus but the XXX has only been on my Focus.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 pm
by FIJIGabe
Interesting issue on pad life. I've had Black Princes and Zipp Tangente pads on my 404's, and I've noticed that the Black Prince pads lose a lot of material, initially, but after a short break-in time they stabilize and last for a good while longer. My Saturday rides are in-town, with a good amount of starting/stopping (I treat them as intervals), and have had better pad life with the Tangente pads than the Black Prince pads, which might last 3 or 4k miles.

BTW, I'm definitely heavier than the average guy on here, at 1.9m and 100kg.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 pm
by RyanH
I got about double the life with black prince on the Enve so I think the Enve pads are even softer than BP.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 pm
by VTR1000SP2
FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 pm
...I've noticed that the Black Prince pads lose a lot of material, initially, but after a short break-in time they stabilize and last for a good while longer...
Interesting. This prompted me to have a very close look at my overall pad wear and it seems 3/4 are still more than 50% so I'm on track for good life. The 4th could be adjusted better so I'm going to assume that's why it's wearing faster than the rest.

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care how fast pads wear, should have indicated that initially.
Consumable goods are meant to be consumed.

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:51 pm
by FIJIGabe
I always get a bunch of build up on the pads, right after changing them, which stops building up after about 400-500 miles. The same thing happens with the Tangente's, but the build up stops in about half the time (200ish).

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:51 pm
by Weenie

Re: Bontrager XXX Aeolus - how's the braking?

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 pm
by ryanw
My Enve black pads were like diamonds compared to Black Prince.

They lasted really well in comparison to BPs.

I also have no flex or rub with my 4.5s due to having them built properly. 85kg and 20w/kg + sprints are fine.