Stripped RD hanger bolts. Where can I get better bolts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Loctite 222 (small) should be sufficient.
The bond brakes at 6Nm. A stronger agent requires more strengh to release.
You shouldn't torque it much more so no need to use a stronger agent.
Btw, i have used 222 at motorcycle components, never any issues.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

deepakvrao wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 am
joejack951 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 pm
Also, I offered in your other thread to help out with replacement screws but you never provided any measurements. Per your pic they appear to be in the 6-8mm long range with a hex recess. Can you confirm? I have a handful of 18-8 stainless M3x6mm long socket head flat screws and would be happy to drop a few in an envelope for you. They’d solve the problem IF the issue is corrosion.
Thanks. I really appreciate that. I do, but I dont know what specs to provide? Also, I live in India, so while your offer is very generous, I'm not sure that you could post them here?
Since you provided a picture I know most of what I need to know. Just confirm the overall length. Are you in an area that has reliable postal service? That will be by far the cheapest way to send these.

joejack951

by joejack951

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:57 am
Loctite 222 (small) should be sufficient.
The bond brakes at 6Nm. A stronger agent requires more strengh to release.
You shouldn't torque it much more so no need to use a stronger agent.
Btw, i have used 222 at motorcycle components, never any issues.
I am not sure why there is all this talk of Loctite. The screws are not coming loose on their own. My guess is that they were installed dry and slightly galled against the titanium. Any new hardware should get a generous coating of grease or ideally copper antisieze.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Threadlocker is pretty much universally used for these screw because of their small size, small number of threads engaged, and low torque that is applied to them. It just ensures they don’t come loose or seize up. It is far more appropriate than grease in this application.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joejack951

by joejack951

Calnago wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm
Threadlocker is pretty much universally used for these screw because of their small size, small number of threads engaged, and low torque that is applied to them. It just ensures they don’t come loose or seize up. It is far more appropriate than grease in this application.
I see your point but I typically won't resort to Loctite unless I'm really having an issue with a fastener. In the OPs case, the screws are staying plenty tight and it sounds like he removes them fairly regularly. Grease/anti-seize seems appropriate to me, but the correct Loctite would also suffice at least for a few R&R cycles.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:59 pm
Calnago wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm
I see your point but I typically won't resort to Loctite unless I'm really having an issue with a fastener. In the OPs case, the screws are staying plenty tight and it sounds like he removes them fairly regularly. Grease/anti-seize seems appropriate to me, but the correct Loctite would also suffice at least for a few R&R cycles.

Yes, makes sense. Thanks.