New build - question about Venn wheels, long term

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jencvo

by jencvo

Hi guys. I decided to build up my own Di2 equipped Canyon CF SL. It will be full Ultegra Di2 build, but I am still undecided on the wheels. I've tried searching the forum but haven't found much so I wanted to give it another go. I came across Venn wheels on Probikekit and they sure seem like a good quality. I've seen them being mentioned here before, but does anybody have long term experience? How's braking on wet?

I'm debating between Venn Rev 507
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 87626.html

and Venn Alter 44
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 87611.html

Also, Merlin Cycles has 3T Orbis II on sale for $956. https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-orbis-i ... 90837.html

Any opinion on those three, or tested alternatives in the same price range? Thank you for helping me get to the bottom of this!

Marin

by Marin

Huge Venn thread on here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomycs

by tomycs

Had the 507s rim brake for abt 7months, use it on my Canyon Ultimate cf sl w. Ultegra 6800 . Braking felt awful from the start and that hasn't changed with use, mediocre in dry and a bit scary in wet . They're fine otherwise, reasonably light, easy to mount tyres w. tubes (for tubeless ready) and no need to touch the hubs yet (only a handful of wet rides though).

jencvo

by jencvo

In the entire 25 page thread on Velocite rims, there are two or three mentions of braking performance of rim brakes. Hence, this thread. Thanks!

the jackel

by the jackel

I have the 35s and really like them. The braking on blue pads was pretty average. I changed on to some new red pads and the braking isn't suddenly brilliant but significantly improved. Just as a note, my riding is mostly suburban London streets.

Vs Chinese wheels Ive used. The Chinese wheels have better initial bite but seem worse with prolonged braking.

My Venn's have survived the Pyrenees without problem and actually under heavy braking the performance was as good as I could have asked.

jencvo

by jencvo

the jackel wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 pm
I have the 35s and really like them. The braking on blue pads was pretty average. I changed on to some new red pads and the braking isn't suddenly brilliant but significantly improved. Just as a note, my riding is mostly suburban London streets.

Vs Chinese wheels Ive used. The Chinese wheels have better initial bite but seem worse with prolonged braking.

My Venn's have survived the Pyrenees without problem and actually under heavy braking the performance was as good as I could have asked.
What red pads did you use? Were they supplied by Venn?

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

I have a set of the 507 Rev on my BMC Timemachine TMR02.

Braking isn't great in the dry with the supplied blue pads, never ridden them in the rain, got other bikes for that.

They are very stiff (I weigh 72kg) and run my brake pads close to the rim and get no flex either climbing or sprints.

Relatively light for their width and depth, handle wind really well and roll fast and super smooth on the Venn hubs.

Only paid $820 AUS delivered from PBK, so vey cheap in the grand sceme of things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the jackel

by the jackel

jencvo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 pm
the jackel wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 pm

What red pads did you use? Were they supplied by Venn?
That is what I was told. My wheels were built by DCR wheels in the UK. Supplied with blue pads but when they wore out i was told the red pads are the new pads from Venn.