New Crankset and BB for CAAD12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

helterskelter

by helterskelter

I got a CAAD12 105 a couple of weeks ago on a decent deal with the aim of using it through the winter in it's current guise and trickling in the odd upgrade (Hunt wheels, CF seatpost & saddle) leading up to next spring when I plan on overhauling the 105 with a much lighter groupset to finish it off.

Predictably the BB30a bottom bracket is already making loud protests. I was always going to upgrade this and the crankset to a more robust option anyway but hadn't planned on having to do it so soon.

What have people had success with in terms of adaptors & crankset combo? I've found the Token Ninja or C-Bear as the current viable options with an Ultegra Crankset. In an ideal world i'd be able to run a Sram Red crankset but that doesn't seem an obvious option with those adaptors?

Trying to keep the combo within £250, would find the extra budget for Sram Red...

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

BBInfinite and be done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:28 pm
BBInfinite and be done.
This....and pick up a Sram Red22 GXP crankset.

Best modification I made to my CAAD12.

:)
:beerchug:

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

helterskelter

by helterskelter

FLtrooper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 pm
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
BBInfinite and be done.

Much appreciated! So next question... is the GXP crankset the best match for BB30A?

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

helterskelter wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 pm
FLtrooper wrote:
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
BBInfinite and be done.

Much appreciated! So next question... is the GXP crankset the best match for BB30A?
If you want to use a SRAM crankset. I enjoy that the BB infinite bb30a to gxp bottom bracket doesn’t require the need of a wavy washer or additional spacers. Also.. no need for the ceramic offering.

:beerchug:

helterskelter

by helterskelter

FLtrooper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 pm
helterskelter wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 pm
FLtrooper wrote:
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
BBInfinite and be done.

If you want to use a SRAM crankset. I enjoy that the BB infinite bb30a to gxp bottom bracket doesn’t require the need of a wavy washer or additional spacers. Also.. no need for the ceramic offering.

Perfect. Looking to keep it as simple a solution as possible.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

Yeah the ABEC-7 is plenty. Also, I'd recommend getting the 30mm spindle version and using spacers. You leave your options open this way.

helterskelter

by helterskelter

I went for the Hambini Shimano set up in the end. I’ll have the parts by the weekend which was a main factor as I want to be out riding. They also look like beautiful works of art.

mythical

by mythical

Pardon me for asking, but I'm trying to wrap my head around something. Why would you deliberately choose a Shimano or Sram crankset with a smaller diameter axle, thereby needlessly choosing the less stiffness option and even increasing weight? I find the frame to be insanely good, and I believe the BB30A, while creating crankset compatibility issues, isn't a bad BB at all. Why revert to a worse solution? Personally, I would only consider Shimano or GXP when there's absolutely no other possible option, like in a Trek with BB90.

I bought a BB30/PF30-version Sram S500 crankset for under €70 (for the classic look) as a placeholder in my CAAD12 while I wait until my updated 3D printed titanium crankset prototypes are done. It spins on €338 CeramicSpeed coated bearings. Officially, this shouldn't work but I got it working with only some minor modifications to the preload adjuster.
Attachments
Sram S500 in CAAD12 BB30A.jpg
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

mythical wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 pm
I bought a BB30/PF30-version Sram S500 crankset for under €70 (for the classic look) as a placeholder in my CAAD12 while I wait until my updated 3D printed titanium crankset prototypes are done. It spins on €338 CeramicSpeed coated bearings. Officially, this shouldn't work but I got it working with only some minor modifications to the preload adjuster.
That is a very atypical crank/bearing cost ratio, but I get the rationale. More importantly, you can't just go dropping a teaser like "3D printed titanium crankset prototype" without more elaboration/info! What is the scoop? Do you have a separate thread on here about the project? I know there are limitations about overt promotion of commercial products (assuming you ultimately plan to commercialize this thing), but I think a 3DP Ti crank is unique and innovative enough that no one will complain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Said crankset is hiding in plain sight, just follow either link in my signature.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira