Low hanging aero fruit - handlebars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I had the Aeronova Ltd. It's like very soft. I could twist it easily by holding the drop and my frd were very impressed (and scared lol). I haven't found any other bar that exibited the same flexibility.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

peted76

by peted76

morganb wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:58 pm
parajba wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:59 am
Great topic. I am in a similar position to Spartacus.
Have an S2 (older model from 2010) and was thinking to replace its traditional round bars with the aero handlebar (perhaps the one made by Cervelo for the ‘old’ S5 or the Zipp). I already have a Giro Vanquish and Zipp 303s.

Like Spartacus my next bike will be an all out aero but given the current prices of the top models (S5D, Venge, Aeroad etc) I am thinking of keeping my old S2 a few more years and to replace the handlebar.

Keep the comments coming please...
I would do the Zipp over the Cervelo by a wide margin. I found the Cervelo bar to be so flexible that it negatively impacted the handling of the bike, plus you are very limited in computer mount options. I have had three Zipp SL70 Aero now and they are pretty much indistinguishable from a stiff alloy bar for sprinting and have enough clamp space for any computer mount even with a wide faceplate stem.
Zipp SL70 Aero over here too.. probably the best thing on my bike. I'm not powerful enough to lose any significant wattage sprinting, but the comfort difference wins for me! Slight vibration dampening and nice to rest your arms/wrists on...

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Stueys wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm
Re aerobars being noodles, my 3t aeronova ltd seems just as stiff as my enve round bar to me. My friend has the aeronova team and says that has some flex, it’s slightly cheaper so maybe a less stiff build? But certainly not all aero bars are noodles...
When i asked 3t directly, they stated the aeronova ltd has more flex than the heavier team version. “Stiff” is probably different for different riders. I am neither heavy nor powerful, so i can get away with some pretty “flimsy” stuff vs my 160lbs all muscle and strava KOM buddy. Failwheelbikes did a bar stiffness test and the enve and 3t are there... the enve was rubbish for stiffness (if that is your goal)
Last edited by RocketRacing on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Marin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am

http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html
That is the image i was talking about earlier. Note the drag is the entire setup. The big gains are rider position (narrow bars).

Also note that the statistical significance. The standard deviation numbers are huge. The data is poor, but a trend is there. But again, look at the CFD image of the bike and rider that i shared in this thread, and ask how much comes from the bar centres. Something, but not a lot
Last edited by RocketRacing on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

It’s a shame Zipp don’t offer the SL70 Aero in 36cm, would be an instant purchase for me, running 33cm 3T’s on the track bike and 36cm SL70’s on the crit bike but forced up the 38cm aero’s on the road bike.

guyc

by guyc

The lowest hanging fruit is your position. But you can’t just walk into a shop and buy it.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 pm
It’s a shame Zipp don’t offer the SL70 Aero in 36cm, would be an instant purchase for me, running 33cm 3T’s on the track bike and 36cm SL70’s on the crit bike but forced up the 38cm aero’s on the road bike.
Post some pics of the bikes with clear pics of the bars if you would, please!

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Of what?

spartacus

by spartacus

The zipp SL70 seem like a relatively good deal at $225, and the drop profile is fairly close to round. Some of us would need a longer stem to use them though. Thinking about getting these sometime over the winter.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I am close to getting the zipps myself mostly because I have too much reach and I don't want to change the 110 stem. Also want narrow, current is 440 cc (on them because I am very broad shouldered and followed the traditional sizing thing) On another bike I have a 400 cc (ordered 420 without noticing its oo ) and despite having small box rims, bike is as fast, if not faster than the wide bars one which is super light, has 35mm Boras and also 1cm less stack!

MMW

by MMW

Dont know if it’s helpful for anyone, but anyway this was the response I got when I asked 3T if the aeronova team was stiffer than the LTD:

From our tests, the stiffness of both the Team and LTD versions are comparable. LTD is lighter since we use different carbon fibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

I want to mention one thing for those wanting to buy Aeronova's. Look at their monstrous reach. They are 2 to 3cm longer than traditional bars, and may easily screw up your fit (sure, if you have a large stem you can shorten that, but this is not always possible nor economical).
Plus, I think I had read somewhere here that 38s are not clip-on compatible, while 40s and 42s are.

Unfortunately there's not really many other options for those who want to have an aero bar and attach clip-ons - two of these being the Vision Metron 4D, and Enve SES. But neither comes cheap.

That said, I agree with what had been posted already: probably you would not notice the influence of aero handlebars on their own, but if you tick all the aero boxes (starting from position), you will notice an increase in speed.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am
I am close to getting the zipps myself mostly because I have too much reach and I don't want to change the 110 stem. Also want narrow, current is 440 cc (on them because I am very broad shouldered and followed the traditional sizing thing) On another bike I have a 400 cc (ordered 420 without noticing its oo ) and despite having small box rims, bike is as fast, if not faster than the wide bars one which is super light, has 35mm Boras and also 1cm less stack!
Another happy Zipp SL70 Aero owner here. The only small downside is that the cable routing has slightly sharper radius so shifting isn't quite as good
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I did a vid on this a while back

I think the result I came up with was 6w at 50km/h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5zqDOfUtE&t=2s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com