The big winter swap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alumen

by Alumen

Since I have one bike only but riding the whole year round, like all others do too, I swap my wheels and tyres to be ready for all weather conditions.

This year I also decided to swap my saddle. To switch from my race saddle to a more comfortable saddle, supporting my more up right position and lower speeds during the winter time. But also to prevent my more expensive race saddle from the salt, sand and rain mix.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I rode through previous winters but the bike always came out the other side rusty and corroded. Indoors now on as I don’t have to commute any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Alumen wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 pm
Since I have one bike only but riding the whole year round, like all others do too, I swap my wheels and tyres to be ready for all weather conditions.

This year I also decided to swap my saddle. To switch from my race saddle to a more comfortable saddle, supporting my more up right position and lower speeds during the winter time. But also to prevent my more expensive race saddle from the salt, sand and rain mix.
Fenders also protect your saddle, and more importantly your arse and feet! If you have tight clearance there are still solutions like SKS Raceblade or Crud Catchers Mk3.

Alumen

by Alumen

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:54 pm
I rode through previous winters but the bike always came out the other side rusty and corroded. Indoors now on as I don’t have to commute any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always rinse my bike with warm water after each ride and then store it inside the house. I never experienced any issues with rusty and corroded parts fortunately.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Alumen

by Alumen

Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Alumen wrote:

Fenders also protect your saddle, and more importantly your arse and feet! If you have tight clearance there are still solutions like SKS Raceblade or Crud Catchers Mk3.
True about the fenders indeed, the only one I have considered is the *ss saver... all others I don't consider them race bike worthy ;)
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Alumen wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm
True about the fenders indeed, the only one I have considered is the *ss saver... all others I don't consider them race bike worthy ;)
I know many people hate the thought of fenders. That may be heavily influenced by your geographical region. Here in the greaterVancouver region it rains a lot from November to April. Before I moved here in 1999 I never appreciated fenders. But out here, all the serious racers had a "winter bike" with full fenders and mudflaps to protect the rider behind when riding in a bunch. Back then on the group rides it was basically "have an acceptable setup or you're not welcome". I followed suit out of requirement, and even though my racing days are long behind me and I ride in very small groups now, we all still adhere to the fender life. It really makes wet riding so much better for both you and the bike. However, I do see in various local FB groups that many larger rides now have a mix of fenders and there are lots of complaints when guys show up and ride with a setup that sprays riders behind. I guess it is the changing times, but 20 years ago it was not tolerated. I remember after I became one of the fender police, telling a Pro Continental level rider to not return to our ride until he had a proper setup!

kode54

by kode54

they don't really work all that well...probably keeps your behind a bit drier, but not the spray behind you. i suppose its because its attached under your saddle, not cradling your tires.

i stopped using them.
Alumen wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm
Bigger Gear wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Alumen wrote:

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com