Any reason to "try" tubulars today

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've ditched carrying a spare tub as well.
Just stash a CO2 and half a small bottle of sealant, a mix of Orange and Joe's...best of the best.

Pitstop? Just a sh!tstop, all you get is dirty.
Tufo? As they say, friends don't let friends ride Tufo.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I ride both and thoroughly enjoy riding tubulars - I really like the tradition aspect and the feel in the hand of a new Veloflex is second to none.

The practical advantages are:
1. low weight (although this is largely negated if you believe that all tubs are good tubs and insist on running heavy ones to train on)
2. increased safety (although most modern clincher setups are tight enough that they won't unseat when deflated).
3. If you are running clinchers without sealant and are concerned about heat, you can add the fact that sew-ups are a super safe place for a light latex tube. My vittoria tubulars had a 40g innertube - try that with a clincher.

The practical advantages of clinchers are
1. Fundamentally faster - energy is lost in the glue or tape job on a tub.
2. Better aerodynamics at the tyre-rim interface, particularly with the new generation of hookless rims
3. More choice at lower cost
4. More R+D. It seems to be established that compound is king when it comes to fast tyres. Casing is a much lesser component which is why so many clinchers that feel crap to handle test much faster than (IMHO much nicer) hand made tubulars.

Many commenters above feel that tubs offer intrinsically better handling. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but my sweet spot is a 28mm measured cross section at 80 psi for road rides on good surfaces. Run 25mm tubs at 90-95 and they just aren't as good, much as the wheels and tyres are far more expensive and I would like them to be better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I wish Vittoria would make a tubular version of the Rubino Pro, such a good tyre...rarely get a puncture and they just seem to last forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisN

by LouisN

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-tyres ... 36117.html
Did you mean the Speed version ? I think only in clincher...

Louis :)

KCookie

by KCookie

It's the Tufo Jet 160 that your after, Bike24 has them in stock.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

LouisN wrote:https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-tyres ... 36117.html
Did you mean the Speed version ? I think only in clincher...

Louis :)
This didn’t come up on my search on the Vittoria website...possibly a good alternative training tyre to the Conti’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaBa

by GaBa

I jumped on the tubular wagon as well. Will use aluminium clinchers for the winter and early spring and shift to tubulars later on. Got a decent price on previous gen Bora Ultra 50s with Vittoria Corsa, thought in 23mm. Will probably change for 25mm after I wear these out.

Does anyone have any experience with this product: https://www.vittoria.com/eu/1315pr0175555bx.html

sungod

by sungod

GaBa wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 am
Does anyone have any experience with this product: https://www.vittoria.com/eu/1315pr0175555bx.html
yes, bad experience! it really is very poor, never once sealed a puncture, just sprays out of the tyre and makes a mess

tufo extreme sealant is far better, works with veloflex, vittoria, conti, dugast

GaBa

by GaBa

Thanks a lot for the warning, will go with tufo.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Recently Bought some Cadence tubulars for my disc brake bike
Arrived today...great price & service...very happy so far
Have Michelin tubulars on the tonight
Michelin Pro 4 SC are my favourite clincher...am hoping for similar from tubs
I'll post photos of wheels, weight, bike soonish
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

dj97223

by dj97223

GaBa wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 am
I jumped on the tubular wagon as well. Will use aluminium clinchers for the winter and early spring and shift to tubulars later on. Got a decent price on previous gen Bora Ultra 50s with Vittoria Corsa, thought in 23mm. Will probably change for 25mm after I wear these out.

I've had very good experience wit PitStop. Unless it is a big hole, it will seal if used properly (I.e., following the instructions).
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

1415chris

by 1415chris

Someone would be better off carrying something more reliable than Pit Stop.
Reading people's comments it is rather hit and miss, more miss it seams to be, including my experiance.

Bear in mind that Tuffo Extreme is a repair product, can be applied after getting the puncture.

For me Veloflex is No 1 especially when you pay for the tub £45 ;)

snaxez

by snaxez

I have been riding with pit stop for a few years now, but I have never had to use it. It has such a bad rep, that i'm thinking of having a small tufo tub in the pocket for long rides. Any recomendation? I know track ones are realy light and thin. Would it be a problem if the spare tube is thinner than the rim?

KCookie

by KCookie

snaxez wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 pm
I have been riding with pit stop for a few years now, but I have never had to use it. It has such a bad rep, that i'm thinking of having a small tufo tub in the pocket for long rides. Any recomendation? I know track ones are realy light and thin. Would it be a problem if the spare tube is thinner than the rim?
Go with the Tufo Jet, I have mentioned above they roll up quite small and only weigh 158g. I also carry a small half full bottle of Orange Seal. The Tufo tyre is really easy to mount on the side of the road. No pre stretching involved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

I picked up a pair of Roval CLX 64 the other day and I can't make up my mind if I should keep them or not. They are set up with a pair of Corsa Speed G+ 25mm and I'm tempted to give it a go. I've been running Enve 4.5s with Michelin Power Competition 25mm + latex tubes and that combo is incredibly good to the point where I'm not sure if tubulars can be that much better. I get like 1 flat every year, not much racing (5-10 max per year) and a few events. Opinions?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm