Any reason to "try" tubulars today

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Try them............ what have you got to lose? You already have them and if you don't I'm sure at some point you will be regretting the missed opportunity....... if you don't like them you can move them on.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snaxez

by snaxez

KCookie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 pm
snaxez wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 pm
I have been riding with pit stop for a few years now, but I have never had to use it. It has such a bad rep, that i'm thinking of having a small tufo tub in the pocket for long rides. Any recomendation? I know track ones are realy light and thin. Would it be a problem if the spare tube is thinner than the rim?
Go with the Tufo Jet, I have mentioned above they roll up quite small and only weigh 158g. I also carry a small half full bottle of Orange Seal. The Tufo tyre is really easy to mount on the side of the road. No pre stretching involved.
They are 20mm tubs. Will it be ok on 21mm rim, or will it wiggle? What about tuffo track tubulars, There is Tufo Elite < 135g Track Tubular Tire - 22-622 at the same price as Tufo Elite Jet < 160g Tubular Tire - 20-622
Last edited by snaxez on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

Tempted to try Rubino Pro G+ Tubular. Anyone could share some experience with it?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

3Pio

by 3Pio

jlok wrote:Tempted to try Rubino Pro G+ Tubular. Anyone could share some experience with it?
I was tempted as well with Rubino Pro G+ tubular, but at the end i decide to go for Conti Sprinters (as reliable allaround tire and Corsa G+) for my fast and comfortable tire..

Month ago my riding buddy bought a wheelset with preinstalled Rubino Pro G+ on rear and Corsa G+ in front. His other wheels are clinchers with Conti 4000...

So In last month of riding together (about 1500 km), i can ser he love Corsa G+ tub, but dont like Rubino Pro G+.. Seem that he is loosiing grip specialally on wet and steep uphill (on same rides i dont have problems with Sprinters and Conti 4000 clinchers), but i can see he have...

Also very interested in other Rubino Pro G+ experiences , and maybe comparation to Conti Sprinters...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

northwestern

by northwestern

I tried tubulars and never looked back. They are 1000 times earier to change than clinchers. Just do not fall into the trap of buying $100 tires. They are not worth it.

sungod

by sungod

snaxez wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 am
They are 20mm tubs. Will it be ok on 21mm rim, or will it wiggle? What about tuffo track tubulars, There is Tufo Elite < 135g Track Tubular Tire - 22-622 at the same price as Tufo Elite Jet < 160g Tubular Tire - 20-622
20mm will be ok, remember it's for use as pre-glued spare, you should not be doing heroic cornering/braking on it

if you have good clean roads you could use the lighter one, but personally i stick with the 160g for the extra puncture protection

3Pio

by 3Pio

sungod wrote:
snaxez wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 am
20mm will be ok, remember it's for use as pre-glued spare, you should not be doing heroic cornering/braking on it

if you have good clean roads you could use the lighter one, but personally i stick with the 160g for the extra puncture protection
I use Tufo <135gm as spare tire and in last year and half i had to use it only once just few weeks ago .... My Conti Sprinter got a big side cut from rock (so Tufo sealant did not work, too big hole..).. So i put Tufo come home (about 40 km) and it was trouble free (even road not so nice).

I love it since is so light and rolling almost same size as regular clincher tube...

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been using the Rubino tub this year since the spring and showing nothing much for cuts or holes. Purchased these for a trainer tire as they were onsale and they are at the moment at Probikekit. Rolling resistance is not that of the Corsa but for a trainer its pretty good. In the dry I have had no slippage but really didnt have much for rain riding this year with this tire. I would definitely purchase this tire again onsale.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake