to WiFli or not WiFLi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Hi all,

I'm building up my next bike. The UK price for SRAM etap is not that much different between short cage and med cage/WiFLi. I will be running 52/36 with 11-28 (this wont be my hilly bike), so in theory I really dont need the medium cage/WiFLi version, but I don't know enough the history behind the development of etap. Apart from weight difference, is there any other improvement SRAM has made to the medium cage version? like software or chainline related stuff (a lot of marketing wording about optimised for hydraulic drive train in the press release for WiFLi).

my past experience is that shorter cage generally shift ever so slightly crisper than longer cage, so if there is no advantage then I will go with short cage. thanks. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

From my own experience, the WiFLi setup had rear derailleur issues and I wasn’t alone. My short cage eTap setup has been trouble free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 pm
From my own experience, the WiFLi setup had rear derailleur issues and I wasn’t alone. My short cage eTap setup has been trouble free.

oh! thanks for the headsup. anything specific that makes the WiFLi having issues?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

A small percentage of us had this experience but what happens is you ask the RD to shift and it doesn’t respond in most cases and in some cases it pauses for a few shifts and then responds all at once.

Seems that a warranty of the RD resolves the issue but no one has had one long enough to confirm if the issue is resolved permanently.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=153126

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I have both versions. I’ve not had problems with wifli. I would say it shifts a little slower than normal version. It’s is noticeable, it effects your rhythm a little, but it’s not dreadful and it’s still nice and smooth to me.

surfinguru

by surfinguru

Isn't the question really: Are you going to use a cassette with something bigger that 11-28, 11-30? If you don't plan on going bigger than 28, why bother with the longer cage?
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I bought Wifli and i use 11-28 on both my wheelsets. No problem.
I have Di2 on another bike. The more i used Etap, the more i like it.
Actually i would only go for Etap if i bought a new bike.
I see no downsizer going for Wifli, perhaps if you are about to use a tighter spaced cassette!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Wifli is more likely to get banged up or bent.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 pm
A small percentage of us had this experience but what happens is you ask the RD to shift and it doesn’t respond in most cases and in some cases it pauses for a few shifts and then responds all at once.

Seems that a warranty of the RD resolves the issue but no one has had one long enough to confirm if the issue is resolved permanently.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=153126

thanks for the link. looks like i will be stickign with short cage :beerchug:

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

surfinguru wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm
Isn't the question really: Are you going to use a cassette with something bigger that 11-28, 11-30? If you don't plan on going bigger than 28, why bother with the longer cage?
i think you missed my question in the original post: is there any software or other improvement have they made to the WiFLi version over the short cage version since WiFLi version is newer. :beerchug:

jbattermann

by jbattermann

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:32 pm
thanks for the link. looks like i will be stickign with short cage :beerchug:
Several others and myself had the reported issue (way delayed shifting etc) with short cages, too.. However Sram replaced them within / on warranty within a few days. I have both now.. a short and a Wifli cage eTap and I cannot 'really' notice any shifting speed difference. Both are setup perfectly with proper chain length and tensions etc and if I wouldn't have read others saying 'Wifli is slower', I wouldn't be able to tell I've tried Wifli with a 30t and a 32t cassette and the short cage with 28t and 26t. So my oppinion is that Wifli just works as intended.. being able to use larger cassettes. Few percentages of both versions have the reported issues but while it is frustrating, SRAM handles these issues quickly - so choose whatever you 'need' cassette wise ;)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Using Etap RD Wifli with 11-28 cassette, no problems with shifting speed or anything else.
Also use Di2 and if i bought a new road bike, i would go for Etap.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

stringbean

by stringbean

Just to confuse you even more on one of my bikes I’m using normal etap rear derailer with 32 cluster
No problems

surfinguru

by surfinguru

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:35 pm
surfinguru wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm
i think you missed my question in the original post: is there any software or other improvement have they made to the WiFLi version over the short cage version since WiFLi version is newer. :beerchug:
Nah, didn't miss it. It was already answered before I posted, which is why I posed the question I did. Good luck in you choice of purchase! :thumbup:
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Of interest, i just got red wifli for my bike. The rear derailer came in underweight at 191g, so add the 24g battery and we are 215g (website says short is 239g with battery). Reviews said wifli was 12g extra! My compact crank with 170mm arms also came in really light also. On the same scale the hoods and front derailer came in withinf a gram of stated factory weights. Take the info fwiw.