to WiFli or not WiFLi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 am
Of interest, i just got red wifli for my bike. The rear derailer came in underweight at 191g, so add the 24g battery and we are 215g (website says short is 239g with battery). Reviews said wifli was 12g extra! My compact crank with 170mm arms also came in really light also. On the same scale the hoods and front derailer came in withinf a gram of stated factory weights. Take the info fwiw.
Is it possible one of the sensors on that scale tray is defective? Like the weight changes a lot depending where on the tray the weiht is?

I had that happen to me once... just a hunch. Congrats to the great weights otherwise. Super jealous :D

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

stringbean wrote:Just to confuse you even more on one of my bikes I’m using normal etap rear derailer with 32 cluster
No problems
Thanks good to know. I have been wanting to go to a 30 and wondered if it would work. I have a regular etap RD and didn’t want to buy a new one to go up to 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been running the 30 on my etap absolutely np but wasnt too sure about a 32. Might have to try that.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:23 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 am
Of interest, i just got red wifli for my bike. The rear derailer came in underweight at 191g, so add the 24g battery and we are 215g (website says short is 239g with battery). Reviews said wifli was 12g extra! My compact crank with 170mm arms also came in really light also. On the same scale the hoods and front derailer came in withinf a gram of stated factory weights. Take the info fwiw.
Is it possible one of the sensors on that scale tray is defective? Like the weight changes a lot depending where on the tray the weiht is?

I had that happen to me once... just a hunch. Congrats to the great weights otherwise. Super jealous :D
Yeah, the shop scale looked like it had been around (i have two different scales at home... probably why i am on the weight weenie forum).

I measured twice, and other components were right on spec for weight... but i agree that it is unlikely for a big company like sram to be sooo far off on component weight, even if online reported weights are for longer cranks and 53/39 chainrings. If the rear derailer and cranks/rings were updated and lightened... i am sure sram would announce it with bells on!

Either way, i am happy with the setup.

Edit: i looked back at some of my before/after full bike weight numbers post etap. Based on reported 6870 groupset weights, and factory sram numbers (420g for 170mm 34/50 that i found)... i expected 490g savings for the swap, but as i kept ultegra brakes, my expected lossed were 412g.

I got 466g for the crank setup and 34/50. 54g under. I was 24g under for the rear derailer. So my red groupset was 78g lighter than expected factory numbers. The casette, chain, hoods, front derailer were also very close to weight spec online.

My final bike weight post swap said i lost 540g, or 128g more than expected from listed sram numbers. No two scales are accurate, but best case, my red setup was 78g lighter (54g crank, 24g derailer).

But we still have 50g of extra weight loss to account for. I think that was either scale error (same scale used at my home for before and after red weights), or.... more likely the spacers felt used to make shimano spindles work with bb30... something i forgot to weigh, and could be the difference.

Long story short... i think my red cranks and derailer are light. Or maybe my ultegra was heavy. I can check...

Chirobike

by Chirobike

I just finished my Wifli Etap HRD Venge Vias Disc build with all new components EXCEPT SRAM chain/cassette. The shifting sucked on my DRIVEN CSRX cassette with KMC chain but only on specific cogs so I bought a Shimano cassette. Now it shifts fine but not near as crisp as Shimano (I have a Dura-Ace older 10 speed setup on my Storck) with Shimano cassette. I checked the hanger alignment, etc., and everything is fine. I don't think switching to a SRAM cassette/chain over Shimano/KMC would improve anything. I still love the wireless concept (I had Mektronic when it came out!) but I have to admit Shimano seems to be built on reliability whereas SRAM -innovation. You'd have to decide which is more important. Obviously, I couldn't so I spent twice as much. :)