Do wippermann connex links cause premature wear of cassettes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I run my different bikes on 10 and 11 speed groupsets and until recently have used the KMC links with Campagnolo chains.

However after a bit of a mechanical mishap this past weekend I’m thinking of swapping to the wipperman Connex as they can be removed without a chain link tool.

Is the 11 speed connex link okay to use with the 11v record chain? Do the connex links if properly installed cause premature wear to the drive train parts?

sungod

by sungod

i use the connex links on sram 11 speed, not seen any issues in 2.5 years

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Thanks for the input

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Any one know if these links are okay to use with 11v Campagolo chains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jih

by jih

I can't see how they would wear out the other bike parts. The joining link itself doesn't touch the cassette very much except for while shifting, and then I can't see why it wouldn't behave like the other links.

And even if it had double the rate of wear as a normal link (which seems unlikely) it's still only about ~1% of your chain.

AJS914

by AJS914

Eleven21 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm
Any one know if these links are okay to use with 11v Campagolo chains?
Wippermann says they are compatible. I bought an inexpensive chain tool that does the peening for Campagnolo chains so I just go with the Campagnolo pin. I wouldn't mind trying a Wippermann link. I just wish they didn't cost almost $20.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

There is a possibilty that it could produce the same problem on an 11 tooth Campagnolo cog that I experienced with the Missing Link.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 1#p1433601

lieutenantDomestique

by lieutenantDomestique

The Connex links are machined very nicely, and damn well should be for the price.

I run Campy chains and stopped using them because they produce an ever so slight "hicup" passing in the rear derailieur with my set up.

They run a bit oversized for 11sp Campagnolo chains.

I do keep one in the bag for emergencies since you don't need a tool to install it, but use the KMC Missing Links instead. And yes, you can safely reuse them 4-5-6 times without worry no matter what they say about one time use only. They run perfectly smooth with my set up. Buy a bag of them and you'll be set for years.

I've only ever broken one of the KMC's out of probably 7 years of heavy use. My riding bud that day jokingly said it was because of me "putting out too many watts", so let's go with that instead of product failure. That said, the Connex saved my butt from being stranded that day.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Many thanks for all the advice

naylor343

by naylor343

lieutenantDomestique wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 am
The Connex links are machined very nicely, and damn well should be for the price.

The connex 11 links are very expensive. I have two bikes on 11 speed 6870 di2 and one on 11 5800. They have all been in use for years and all have the chains linked with connex 10 speed links. I have never had a single issue with any of them, no extra noise, no difference to gear change smoothness, nothing!

Many people are shocked and say it should not/cannot work, but it just does. Try it, they are readily available at a fraction of the cost.

I did try the Shimano provided link that comes with the new chain, no difference in use at all, but you cannot remove the chain as easily for cleaning if this is your preference.

Also, the lower cost means you can change the links more often than you otherwise might.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

naylor343 wrote:

The connex 11 links are very expensive. I have two bikes on 11 speed 6870 di2 and one on 11 5800. They have all been in use for years and all have the chains linked with connex 10 speed links. I have never had a single issue with any of them, no extra noise, no difference to gear change smoothness, nothing!

Many people are shocked and say it should not/cannot work, but it just does. Try it, they are readily available at a fraction of the cost.

I did try the Shimano provided link that comes with the new chain, no difference in use at all, but you cannot remove the chain as easily for cleaning if this is your preference.

Also, the lower cost means you can change the links more often than you otherwise might.

Just to clarify, you’re using a 10v connex link on an 11v chain without any issues? If that works, I agree, that’s a much cheaper alternative to the 11v links.

kode54

by kode54

that is intertesting. i wonder if the same goes for KMC missing links.

i actually like the Shimano ones as they are difficult to remove...so less prone to faiure on the road maybe? the KMC ones i had were too easy to put on and take off.
naylor343 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

naylor343

by naylor343

Eleven21 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 pm
naylor343 wrote:

Just to clarify, you’re using a 10v connex link on an 11v chain without any issues? If that works, I agree, that’s a much cheaper alternative to the 11v links.

Yes, exactly that. zero issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

We can go over this again, and this is off-topic, but you will use a quick link right up to the moment that you have a catastrophic failure at significant cost (hanger, wheel, frame, chain, mech, I have all seen damaged by link failure). It is rare, but it does happen. I used a quick link for >15 years for the same reason that you all do: ease, cleaning, chain rotation, and then one day, boom. Again, rare but costly.

The OEM links work really well and I just dont see the need to introduce a weakpoint into well designed and integrated systems.