SL6 Tarmac Disc or New Venge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tarmac or Venge?

Tarmac
35%
Venge
65%

Total votes: 57

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hey guys,

I've not been satisfied with my limited edition Sagan WC Venge ViAS for the last few months due to excessive noise the seatpost/frameset interface made (it's probably due to the amount of seatpost sticking out of the frame and my weight and the power that I've been putting, but it doesn't matter now).

I've made a complaint to Specialized and they said they will replace my frame for one of the following:
  • Tarmac SL6 Disc Sagan Collection frameset
  • New S-Works Venge
Thing is, there's no Venge frameset available (for now). The Sagan Venge won't be available again either. So if I were to get a Venge I'd have to "settle" for a "regular" S-Works model. Then again, they will be available in 2019. The Tarmac option looks really sweet, too (I mean the exact frame I'd get), but I don't really ride many hills.

I've read that performance-wise both the SL6 Tarmac and the New Venge are the closest the two models have ever been.

I'm in no rush, I can wait for few months, just don't want to make a bad decision. I've been reading the new Venge topic here and people here generally really liked it so I'm leaning towards that option. Additionally, I've been riding the ViAS for about 10k kms now, and I got pretty used to it.

What should I do?

Kind regards,
Marcin

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

lovemyway wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:14 pm
I don't really ride many hills.
Venge, all day, every day.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

Given the weight of the new Venge I can’t see any reason for going Tarmac now. Well, maybe if you guide the Alps every day....

AJS914

by AJS914

Looking at what Specialized has published, there doesn't seem to be a huge aero difference between the Venge and Tarmac if the Tarmac if fitted with an aero cockpit. Can you ride both and then decide?
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jugi

by Jugi

lovemyway wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:14 pm

What should I do?
Get the better looking bike (in your opinion). I would go for the Tarmac.

hannawald

by hannawald

Tarmac for me. Looks better, i guess more comfortable so not only hills, but also long rides, crappy roads..

sychen

by sychen

You sound like a bigger lad.. Probably the venge for you. I love my tarmac.. And would consider the venge if the same situation came up for me even though I'm not that big or powerful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dcorn

by dcorn

With both frames fitting huge tires, you can't say the Venge won't be just as comfy as the Tarmac. Unless you are riding up hills all the time, the aero of the Venge should take precedence over the slight weight penalty.

I'd take the Venge in a heartbeat. I think the thicker tubes look much better than the Tarmac, especially in the fork and seatpost. And that's coming from someone with an SL6 Tarmac (rim brake). And yeah, plus I'm a heavier rider at 205 lbs, so I like the feel of a more substantial bike that doesn't look like it'll break underneath me.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Not extremely constructive but i saw the plain ol' regular S-Works Venge in the flesh the other day... And boy was I itching to take it for a ride :lol: The looks kind of did it for me more than any SL6

lovemyway

by lovemyway

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:34 pm
Looking at what Specialized has published there doesn't seem to be a huge aero difference between the Venge and Tarmac if the Tarmac if fitted with an aero cockpit. Can you ride both and then decide?
I'm pretty sure my LBS have both of these (not S-Works, some lower models), but I"m 100% sure they are at most size 56 (I'm riding 61) so trying them out would be pretty pitiful. Don't think Specialized with provide two of these bikes in 61 just for me to try out (unless it's some kind of demo days, that's how I've test ridden the ViAS and Tarmac SL5).

I, too, like the looks of the Venge better. As for the comfort, I've had a 24mm front and 26mm rear tires on my old Venge and it was plenty comfortable. I think the frame accepts at least 28mm, too, but I'm not sure about the aero benefits :)

ODC

by ODC

I have both bikes in the s-works edition:
- The Venge in the math black color
- The SL6 disc in the Quick step color

For the looks I would pick the venge all the way. It's a badass bike in real life. Pictures don't really show how beautiful the bike is in real person. Never had such nice compliments about the SL6 disc.
For comfort three things are important if you want really want to compare the two bikes;
- 1 use the same tires
- 2 use the pressure in de tires
- 3 use the same wheels
I'm using the turbo cotton 26mm tires on the Roval CLX 50 wheels.
If you read on the internet, you gonna see that a lot of people say that the venge is a much harder bike if you compare it with the tarmac. But in my opinion a lot has to do with the Roval clx60 they are using.
I tried the new venge, before I bought it, with the clx60 wheels and indeed then it is harder bike. Changed the wheels to the CLX50 and damn that was a huge change in comfort. It Is still a little bit harder then the SL6 disc and especially in the seat tube.
What also very noticeable is, is the bottom bracket. In sprinting or hard climbing (read pushing big watts) the venge is stiffer there the SL6 disc is flexing more.
The Venge is steering different then the tarmac is. The venge is pushing you more forward from a certain point of speed. The tarmac doesn't have this feeling and so is the tarmac less sensitive to corrections when cornering.
I'm living in Belgium and in the hearth of Flanders and I had no problems with riding it on cobbles. The new venge reminds me more of the first generation venge which was also a more all round bike.
Weight wise there isn't a huge different between the 2. If you are not a weight weenie then I would pick the venge all day.

There a huge possibility that I'm gonna sell my SL6 disc because that the new venge a more all round bike is then the old venge vias.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

@ODC, thank you for your input, it was very informative ;)

I didn't know there's a big difference between the comfort of CLX64 and CLX50s. I've built my ViAS with CLX50s because honestly I was afraid I'd get blown away by the wind with deeper wheels :). For the steering, I don't expect many changes coming from the ViAS.

I'm a little bit concerned by the fact the new Venge has only matte frame options and I've heard matte is a pain to keep clean.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I got a phone call from my LBS saying the black S-Works frame will be available next week. However, I find this particular frame kinda dull, there's very little contrast and it looks just basic. I've been told I have to wait for the "Cool Grey" frameset until March 2019, but it's the risk I want to take.
Last edited by lovemyway on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stueys

by Stueys

ODC wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 am
.....The Venge is steering different then the tarmac is. The venge is pushing you more forward from a certain point of speed. The tarmac doesn't have this feeling and so is the tarmac less sensitive to corrections when cornering.
Thank you for the comparative feedback, very useful. How does that steering feel on the Venge translate into stability on descents? Does the bike still feel stable and solid at high speed even with the quicker steering?

ODC

by ODC

lovemyway wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am
@ODC, thank you for your input, it was very informative ;)

I didn't know there's a big difference between the comfort of CLX64 and CLX50s. I've built my ViAS with CLX50s because honestly I was afraid I'd get blown away by the wind with deeper wheels :). For the steering, I don't expect many changes coming from the ViAS.

I'm a little bit concerned by the fact the new Venge has only matte frame options and I've heard matte is a pain to keep clean.
With the right product is't not really difficult to keep the frame clean.
I would pick the matte black frame every time and every day. But that's something personal.
The grey frameset and Sagan frameset are cool no doubt about that but I know myself that I will like those paintjobs for couple of months and then regret I haven't picked a black one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com