Full Custom Bonts - anyone tried them who can answer my question?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Hey WWs, I'm thinking about getting some full-custom Bonts and was wondering if anyone had had any experience with them they could impart.

Problem: Basically, I have the misfortune of being hyperflexible with a high arched foot that collapses flat under load. (Whatever muscles are supposed to maintain the postural integrity of my foot are underdeveloped, so I guess you could say I have a kind of deformity). To keep my knees from twisting inwards through the pedal stroke, I use a shitty modified off-the-shelf orthotic that forces my foot to maintain its arch. It’s quite extreme really - there’s so much solid material under the arch it makes pronation pretty much impossible.

Question: What I want is a shoe with a solid carbon sole that’s identical to the shape of my foot when it’s got a healthy arch so my foot **cannot** collapse (pronate) flat under load. Will a full custom bont acheive this if moulded correctly? I’ve asked Bont this exact question… its not PC to say, but their customer service reps aren’t native English speakers, so they literally ignored my question when they responded. I know it seems like the answer is probably yes, but I want it to be definately 'yes' to justify spending $1500.

Incidental info:I have considered carbon orthotics like Cobra9, but what I’ve heard about them has lead me to believe they will not provide enough support. It’s not a case of trying to just be a little more comfortable – stopping my foot deforming is the difference between riding and not riding. The latter is shit outcome I’ve been struggling with. Currently I ride Vaypor-S's. I dont find them to be all that comfortable to be honest, but the tub shape is better for supporting foot posture. If I go down this route, I'd get Zero+ with laces.

FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

jlok

by jlok

Following this post. I have similar problem but to a lesser extent. Been trying different insoles but couldn't completely solve the problem. Thought about the same purchase but not quite sure if it could help.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

For 1500 you should find a carbon fiber technician to build a custom sole for you.

For 15$ (ok, maybe for 50) you can get the material to make your own if that's an option.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Marin wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am
For 1500 you should find a carbon fiber technician to build a custom sole for you.

For 15$ (ok, maybe for 50) you can get the material to make your own if that's an option.
I havent looked into random carbon techs. Maybe its an idea.

The equipment to vacuum mold my own carbo n orthotic would cost about $500. The only problem is I live in an apartment which is not at all suitable for playing with epoxy. I'm going to have a go making a fibre glass version with my father when I go visit him at the end of the year.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Good enough for the GB team...

https://www.simmons-racing.com/cycling-2
Using Tapatalk

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Have you heard of this company? They make custom shoes and orthotics and will send out a moulding kit, or you can send them your shoes to copy. http://www.riivo.com/index.html

alistaird

by alistaird

I have a similar situation. I use a full cork bed insole for skiing. Cycling wise I've found Fizik to offer a "last" that is very arch supportive. I've not tried a custom footbed with them but that might be worth a try if you can find a local stockist?

A

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

i'd try custom insoles first, they should be portable from one pair of shoes to another

adjustable is another option to look at...

i still use my years-old efit insoles to get really high arch support in the correct position ('fixed' insoles i tried had the arch in the wrong place), they are a bit 'tired' but they are the best i ever had so i keep them going

closest current ones to these are probably g8 2620

one thing i've found is that high arch supports need shoes with good lateral stability, otherwise with a high arch the foot tends to slide down/rotate outwards, which reduces arch support and puts pressure on the outside of the forefoot/small toe

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd also go the route of custom insoles/orthotics first.

FWIW, I tried Bont shoes and didn't like them. I'd recommend trying a regular pair of Bonts before paying $1500 for custom.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have feet eaxactly like yours- High arch, flexible, collapse with weight.
I currently use Bont Helix shoes with PTI orthotics.
The reason that I use PTI orthotics is that I believe he understands the needs of this type of foot.
He does his casts with an un-weighted mold of your foot, so arch is maximized. He then figures out how/why your foot doesn't sit flat at the start of the pedal stroke. I needed 4 degree correction on right, 2 degrees on left. He builds this into the orthotic- It is quite different than an external wedge under your cleat.
Here is more information on what PTI does- http://www.colbypearce.com/pti-orthotics/
He has you lie on your bely with relaxed feet for casting.
He also explained to me that my previous orthotics were too flexible- So my foot would just push through the correction. My new orthoics are made of carbon.

I think a custom Bont could address all this- but it would have to be perfect. The other issue is that everytime you need new shoes, you would need a new cutom shoe. Better to move an orthotic to a new shoe IMO.

If you need more info- Feel free to pm me.

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am
Hey WWs, I'm thinking about getting some full-custom Bonts and was wondering if anyone had had any experience with them they could impart.

Problem: Basically, I have the misfortune of being hyperflexible with a high arched foot that collapses flat under load. (Whatever muscles are supposed to maintain the postural integrity of my foot are underdeveloped, so I guess you could say I have a kind of deformity). To keep my knees from twisting inwards through the pedal stroke, I use a shitty modified off-the-shelf orthotic that forces my foot to maintain its arch. It’s quite extreme really - there’s so much solid material under the arch it makes pronation pretty much impossible.

Question: What I want is a shoe with a solid carbon sole that’s identical to the shape of my foot when it’s got a healthy arch so my foot **cannot** collapse (pronate) flat under load. Will a full custom bont acheive this if moulded correctly? I’ve asked Bont this exact question… its not PC to say, but their customer service reps aren’t native English speakers, so they literally ignored my question when they responded. I know it seems like the answer is probably yes, but I want it to be definately 'yes' to justify spending $1500.

Incidental info:I have considered carbon orthotics like Cobra9, but what I’ve heard about them has lead me to believe they will not provide enough support. It’s not a case of trying to just be a little more comfortable – stopping my foot deforming is the difference between riding and not riding. The latter is shit outcome I’ve been struggling with. Currently I ride Vaypor-S's. I dont find them to be all that comfortable to be honest, but the tub shape is better for supporting foot posture. If I go down this route, I'd get Zero+ with laces.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

boots2000 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 pm
I have feet eaxactly like yours- High arch, flexible, collapse with weight.
I currently use Bont Helix shoes with PTI orthotics.
The reason that I use PTI orthotics is that I believe he understands the needs of this type of foot.
He does his casts with an un-weighted mold of your foot, so arch is maximized. He then figures out how/why your foot doesn't sit flat at the start of the pedal stroke. I needed 4 degree correction on right, 2 degrees on left. He builds this into the orthotic- It is quite different than an external wedge under your cleat.
Here is more information on what PTI does- http://www.colbypearce.com/pti-orthotics/
He has you lie on your bely with relaxed feet for casting.
He also explained to me that my previous orthotics were too flexible- So my foot would just push through the correction. My new orthoics are made of carbon.

I think a custom Bont could address all this- but it would have to be perfect. The other issue is that everytime you need new shoes, you would need a new cutom shoe. Better to move an orthotic to a new shoe IMO.

If you need more info- Feel free to pm me.

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am

Wow thats such an interesting read on the Colby site. Learning some new stuff within the first few paragraghs.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive had a few sets of custom Bonts and love them..I also have the luxury of my friend is a Bont dealer and we custom casted my foot at his house... My feet are about an "A" width, no shoe off the shelf fits me without cranking it down beyond its limits..

I personally love them, but thats just my opinion... had a set that was molded incorrectly, they took them back and even made me the newer model for no extra cost.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Boots, did you mold your bonts? If so did you heat them then try and put your insoles in then tighten?
I read the sole isn’t flat ala giro or something or “neutral”. In regards to how that affects your custom orthotics.
Just ride ..

boots2000

by boots2000

I did mold mine- Actually I molded 2 new pairs just last night.
I did insert insoles in "hot shoes" for both moldings.
itsacarr wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm
Boots, did you mold your bonts? If so did you heat them then try and put your insoles in then tighten?
I read the sole isn’t flat ala giro or something or “neutral”. In regards to how that affects your custom orthotics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

sungod wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:39 pm
adjustable is another option to look at...

i still use my years-old efit insoles to get really high arch support in the correct position ('fixed' insoles i tried had the arch in the wrong place), they are a bit 'tired' but they are the best i ever had so i keep them going

closest current ones to these are probably g8 2620
I think there is value in adjustable designs too. Obviously if you can truly get a perfect setup with custom molded orthotics, then it would be superior, but the foot is flexible enough that there are a lot of variables in play in the molding process, and then even once you have a mold of your foot in a perfect posture, and you are set to make an orthotic to support the arch, there is the question of how much correction to apply in terms of varus/valgus cant, and and where to apply it (forfoot, heel, or both) which is kind of a black art. In other words, if you buy custom molded corrective orthotics from 3 different places, you won't get 3 examples of the same shape.

With an adjustable system like the G8, you can keep tweaking the orthotic footbed, and then do wedging as a separate independent step, rather than trying to get it all right at once. Having said that, I have G8s, and the arches are very much flexible, so they're not at all comparable to a carbon fiber orthotic. In fact, one of the G8 slogans was/is "Suspension for your feet" or something to that effect, so they clearly think the foot and orthotic should be allowed to flex.