Sarto Veneto SL Disc vs. Parlee Altum Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone ridden each? Not common birds around here.

Taking price out of the equation, which frame takes the top shelf? I like how Sarto publishes a stiffness rating (105 N/mm) for their frames. Of course, this means nothing unless everyone publishes on the same scale.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A strange comparison. The Parlee Altum is a made in Asia mass produced frame and the Sarto is much more exclusive, custom, etc. A more appropriate comparison from Parlee would be the Z-Zero.

That said the Altum is excellent. Just a great combination of light, stiff, and comfortable. Very "racy" feeling given the conservative geometry and a great climber. Some feel that they are not particularely attractive with that strange hump behind the headtube, but that depends on one's personal taste.

Never ridden a Sarto. Maybe one day soon.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfo423

by sfo423

Good point. I can fit either geo and yes Sarto is more exclusive but also 12 weeks out. First world problems.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I imagine the chances of finding someone who has ridden both is quite slim.

I really like my Altum. I got it as an interim bike while I was having a custom frame made and I ended up keeping the Altum. It is a nice all-round frame. Not super light, not aero, not super stiff, but comfortable to ride, good road feel and stiff enough. I probably have 20,000 miles on it. My biggest gripe is the tight clearance between the chainstays.

The sarto’s advantage is custom geometry. If you are buying stock, any number of nice carbon frames are similar to the Sarto.

sfo423

by sfo423

GothicCastle wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 pm
My biggest gripe is the tight clearance between the chainstays.
As in too tight for 28's?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 pm
The wheels on my Altum are wide (21 internal), so 25c Conti GP4000s balloon out to ~29mm. I rode quite a few miles like that, but it was too tight for my comfort. I’m back to 23s on that bike. I’m thinking of getting a set of narrower wheels for that frame.

Parlee have released a new iteration of the Altum disc, but I can’t tell if clearance is better. If the new Altum disc had big clearance (like 30mm) I’d seriously consider getting one.

Seedster

by Seedster

Budget permitting, I would get the custom Sarto. It's an awesome experience to customize your own bike from geometry to color.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

GothicCastle wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 pm
The wheels on my Altum are wide (21 internal), so 25c Conti GP4000s balloon out to ~29mm. I rode quite a few miles like that, but it was too tight for my comfort. I’m back to 23s on that bike. I’m thinking of getting a set of narrower wheels for that frame.

Parlee have released a new iteration of the Altum disc, but I can’t tell if clearance is better. If the new Altum disc had big clearance (like 30mm) I’d seriously consider getting one.
21 mm internal? - Hed Belgian Plus or similar I assume. I run 28 mm Vittoria Corsa on 17 mm internal rims with good clearance. They are around 29 mm on those rims. The chainstays are close but not too close. The Altum is specc'd to take 28mm and it does with the appropriate clearance. But I'm with you that there should be a touch more room there for those of us that like to max out on tire size - would have been easy to build into the design.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 am
21 mm internal? - Hed Belgian Plus or similar I assume. I run 28 mm Vittoria Corsa on 17 mm internal rims with good clearance. They are around 29 mm on those rims. The chainstays are close but not too close. The Altum is specc'd to take 28mm and it does with the appropriate clearance. But I'm with you that there should be a touch more room there for those of us that like to max out on tire size - would have been easy to build into the design.
Totally agree. Clearance is ok, but not great. Something like an 4.5 AR or Hed Vanquish just wouldn’t fit, but those are at the far end of road rims.

I’m thinking about getting a set of Mavic UST wheels for this frame. They are just a bit narrow per and would give a little more room with 25s.

ms6073

by ms6073

When did Sarto introduce a Veneto SL Disc as there is not one on there website?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sfo423

by sfo423

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 pm
When did Sarto introduce a Veneto SL Disc as there is not one on there website?

OPTIONS
• flat mount disc brakes
• integrated seat tube
• BB30-PF386-PRESS FIT 86.5 bottom bracket
• optimization for gear Di2 - EPS
• Wireless or Universal system (mechanical/electronic Di2)
• seat tube Ø 31,8 mm for seat post 27,2 mm

emotive

by emotive

If your 23’s are on wide rims and measure 29mm, you have a better supported tyre than 28s on narrow rims. That improves turn in. If you put a 25 or 28mm true on a narrow rim and it measures 29mm wide, that’s a downgrade to handling.

From a comfort perspective a 29mm measured tyre will have similar air volume whether it says 23, 25, or 28 on the casing, so you won’t get any more comfort either.

Wider rims handle better. Max our your rim width first, then work out what tyre can fit, not the other way around.

AJS914

by AJS914

I love that Sarto Veneto. I think it would be the top of my list for a new frameset. Interestingly, Sarto stock geometry is almost a perfect match for Colnago geometry. Bonus that you can get a Sarto with a BSA threaded bottom bracket.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

if you go more apples to apples.. Sarto Custom vs Parlee Z-Zero.. I'll take the Parlee.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfo423

by sfo423

Sure...at 2x the cost! Not sure its a 2x better bike though.
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 am
if you go more apples to apples.. Sarto Custom vs Parlee Z-Zero.. I'll take the Parlee.