Visual Geometry Comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

99spokes

by 99spokes

Not weight related... but might be of some interest. We just added a visual geometry comparison view to https://99spokes.com that uses the size and geometry information from the manufacturer. This make it easy to see the main geometry differences at a glance.

Here's an example comparison - https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=ridl ... elite-2018

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

This is very cool, I just wish they had a little more selection for bikes on the site. Geometry is typically the first thing I look at when checking new frames. This is a great visual I think.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Same here, geometry..... i guess that's why i'm now dreaming of a custom made frameset
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Really nice! Please add De Rosa to the list. Appreciate the work!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Mep

by Mep

No geometry for Supersix Evo? I tried at least 10 different models and years but no luck.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

Mep wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 am
No geometry for Supersix Evo? I tried at least 10 different models and years but no luck.
Likewise! I have a 2017 Hi-Mod Disc available at the shop for $2500 I'm curious about. I rode it but it didn't feel like I wanted it to, but I wanted to see where I needed to adjust it to match my current position.

99spokes

by 99spokes

BagelMaster wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:19 pm
Mep wrote:
Likewise! I have a 2017 Hi-Mod Disc available at the shop for $2500 I'm curious about. I rode it but it didn't feel like I wanted it to, but I wanted to see where I needed to adjust it to match my current position.
Cannondale publishes geometry data as images 🙁 making it very difficult to extract programmatically. We're actually in the middle of experimenting with using an OCR tool to convert the geometry image to text. It's going... ok. I think ultimately we're going to have to accept user contributions.

99spokes

by 99spokes

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:37 am
Really nice! Please add De Rosa to the list. Appreciate the work!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll get De Rosa on our list!

ms6073

by ms6073

Would be nice if the user could manually enter data for a non-listed bike, sort of a wiki style interface that way non-listed bikes are no longer an issue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sfo423

by sfo423

Interesting. How do you get it to overlay each compared frame geo on the diagram?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@99Spokes: What are you using as your reference point when comparing frames? It looks like you are using the BB center, which can really give some erroneous results unless the BB drop is exactly the same for all frames, which it’s not. For instance, two frames could have exactly the same stack height, yet the one with the greater BB drop would appear taller if the frames are aligned to BB center, when in reality it is the opposite. You really need to use level ground as the reference point, and some standard wheel radius for all of them to really compare the frames. Of course, then you will have the problem of centering the frames along the horizontal plane. With different chainstay lengths, front centers etc, perhaps the vertical line through the BB center might suffice for this. So while it is a nice visual, I think it’s far from telling the whole picture as to how handling might differ due to the geometry differences. But that’s another topic entirely.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

99spokes wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:58 pm
BagelMaster wrote:
Mep wrote:
Cannondale publishes geometry data as images 🙁 making it very difficult to extract programmatically. We're actually in the middle of experimenting with using an OCR tool to convert the geometry image to text. It's going... ok. I think ultimately we're going to have to accept user contributions.
Why don't you just scrape the info from https://geometrygeeks.bike/ ? While it may not be an official source, you could implement a report feature or manually check entries that aren't direct from manufacturer pages.

99spokes

by 99spokes

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 pm
Would be nice if the user could manually enter data for a non-listed bike, sort of a wiki style interface that way non-listed bikes are no longer an issue.
Totally agree, we're working on adding this feature.

99spokes

by 99spokes

BagelMaster wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:10 pm
99spokes wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:58 pm
BagelMaster wrote:
Mep wrote:
Why don't you just scrape the info from https://geometrygeeks.bike/ ? While it may not be an official source, you could implement a report feature or manually check entries that aren't direct from manufacturer pages.
Scraping geometrygeeks violates their terms.

We just finished a first pass on using OCR techniques to convert Cannondale geometry t0 a text format we can use. It worked pretty well... we can now draw many Cannondale bikes.

99spokes

by 99spokes

Calnago wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 pm
@99Spokes: What are you using as your reference point when comparing frames? It looks like you are using the BB center, which can really give some erroneous results unless the BB drop is exactly the same for all frames, which it’s not. For instance, two frames could have exactly the same stack height, yet the one with the greater BB drop would appear taller if the frames are aligned to BB center, when in reality it is the opposite. You really need to use level ground as the reference point, and some standard wheel radius for all of them to really compare the frames. Of course, then you will have the problem of centering the frames along the horizontal plane. With different chainstay lengths, front centers etc, perhaps the vertical line through the BB center might suffice for this. So while it is a nice visual, I think it’s far from telling the whole picture as to how handling might differ due to the geometry differences. But that’s another topic entirely.
Thans for the feedback @Calnago.

We deployed a change yesterday that uses the "ground" as the default alignment for comparisons, instead of BB center like you pointed out. When you hover various measurements in the table we change the origin point of alignment. For example, when hovering on BB Drop the bikes are aligned by their rear axles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com