Pushing R8000 limits/capacity

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

Two things.
1) It's very very easy to set up a Shimano driveline when it's slightly out of spec. No compromises needed. (I'm running two bikes like this permanently, only 2 or 3 teeth). Just bolt it together and go.

2) is not very difficult to set a Shimano driveline up quite a long way out of spec, the compromises you need to make are dependant on frame geometry and how competent you are (both on the tool side and as a rider!). ^^^^^^ compact and an 11/32 with a short cage mech is one I've done in the past for paying customers. I've done similar on an old 3x9 xtr groupset as well, ran that for near enough 10 years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you have a choice between a component that is within the spec. and another that is outside the spec., why would you choose the one that is outside the spec.? For looks or weight savings?

mattr

by mattr

Because you've already got it.
Because it's cheaper.
Because it's available.
Because it's only for a few days/weeks/occasional use.
Because it's quieter (BITD shortcage mechs were a lot quieter off road. Less chain noise.)
Better chain retention (Shortcage mechs off road. Before the days of clutches and 1x narrow wide etc.)

Lighter and better looking are pretty much irrelevant.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So if you don't have it already, which one would you choose, SS or GS?

mattr

by mattr

Today? Me? Probably SS. Current stock driveline options are flexible enough and have a sufficiently wide range that *I* can get up anything *I* am likely to encounter on road with a stock SS set up.

But i know i can fit a larger cassette (or smaller rings) if i need to.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I'd go with SS. The two cassettes I use are 11-30 (99% of the time), and 12-25 (1% of the time). SS works perfect with both of those. In the event that I wanted an 11-32, I know I could make the r8000 SS work with that.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)