Flared Road Bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I've got a set of Enve SES Aero bars on one of my road bikes, and I'm looking to replicate the fit/position on another bike without the aero tops & internal routing.

Has anyone come across anything with a similar shape, especially the narrow tops and wider drops with a compact reach? Ideally in alloy but if carbon is the only option I'll go that way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Easton drops are quite similar, and the AX version has a nice flare.

I happen to have a set for sale but I don't think shipping these from Austria makes sense.

Stueys

by Stueys

Jugi

by Jugi

What you are looking for is four to six degrees of flare at the drops. Many bars are only 0-2 degrees, some are four and for example the 3T Superergo and Aeronova (and previously the Ergonova) are six degrees in the Team and LTD models. They are quite similar to ENVE and Easton. If you have the possibility, I suggest to definetly try before you buy. Although it is quite simple to measure, there may be some discrepancy in the way manufacturers write down their specs.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Specialized Shallow bars flare. They're the first bars I have ever used that do and I quite like it. The hoods are 2cm narrower than the ends of the drops. I don't know what that equates to in degrees of flare, though. They come in aluminum and they are cheap - $45 will get you a pair in the US. Worth a try I would say.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/exper ... 109-133348

The stated width for Specialized bars is the drops measurement, so my 40cm bars measure 38cm at the drops. With the Eastons, it's the opposite. A 40cm bar is 40cm at the hoods and 42cm at the ends of the drops.

Marin

by Marin

All FSA bars flare too BTW. I have a set of narrow ones on my commuter and quite like them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Marin wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:08 pm
All FSA bars flare too BTW. I have a set of narrow ones on my commuter and quite like them.
^this. FSA K-force compact bars flare nicely