Dogma 65.1 or Prince

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itguy

by itguy

Recently Pinarello launched the new Prince to replace the Gan. The new design looks absolutely fantastic, very similar to the F10. I am looking forward to getting the black/red model.

Though, I found a used frame of the Dogma 65.1 black/orange (2014) in superb condition in a LBS.

Should I get the new Prince (complete bike) which is double the price of the Dogma?

Or should I get that Dogma?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

If I remember correctly, the 65.1 is a little tricky to fit 25mm rims, no? That's the biggest thing I would consider.

If I didn't mind running narrower hoops (like 23mm tire on 24mm width) I'd go for the 65.1 because I actually prefer that classic look, pretty iconic in hindsight, but the wavy fork and all that is pretty polarizing (people seem to either hate it or love it). That said, the new Prince looks like nearly the same mold as the F10 so the value seems very, very good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itguy

by itguy

Not sure about the 25mm tyres.

Couldn't find any details online though about that.

Shrike

by Shrike

The Prince is expensive yes, but, for the money you're getting a bike that looks as good if not better than the the latest Dogma.

For the money it's one of the best looking bikes you can buy. I love the orange one :D

Has discs too and like bilwit says, way better tyre clearance so it's much more 'future proof' and comfortable. Do not underestimate the value of wider tyres here. Depending on your road surfaces locally, it can make the biggest difference between how much you enjoy riding each bike.

One will definitely feel like you've just bought something special. The other might feel like you bought a cheaper older bike. Consider how each bike will make you feel. Think about owning it, seeing it there in your home, waiting for you to ride it.

Which one do you really want to jump on and blast out some big km's? ;)

itguy

by itguy

Shrike wrote:The Prince is expensive yes, but, for the money you're getting a bike that looks as good if not better than the the latest Dogma.

For the money it's one of the best looking bikes you can buy. I love the orange one :D

Has discs too and like bilwit says, way better tyre clearance so it's much more 'future proof' and comfortable. Do not underestimate the value of wider tyres here. Depending on your road surfaces locally, it can make the biggest difference between how much you enjoy riding each bike.

One will definitely feel like you've just bought something special. The other might feel like you bought a cheaper older bike. Consider how each bike will make you feel. Think about owning it, seeing it there in your home, waiting for you to ride it.

Which one do you really want to jump on and blast out some big km's? ;)
Great point! I adore both of it, really.

The Dogma is slightly older but it is a proven tour winning bike.

What about the Prince's build material? "T700 carbon" is it as good as 65HMK1? Really unsure here.

fogman

by fogman

I have both a 65.1 and an F10. My 65.1 has enough clearance to run 25mm tires. I am frequently rotating my various wheelsets between the 2 bikes.

My wheelsets are:
1. Bora 50 tubular with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm.
2. Bora 35 C17 clincher with Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm.
3. Shamal C15 clincher with GP4000 23mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bryanhayes

by bryanhayes

I actually just purchased a new old stock 2014 65.1 myself. It's such an awesome bike. Coming off a 2016 Felt F1 - the 65.1 is smoother, stiffer, and has an amazing feel to it.

I'm running Dura Ace 9000 c24 wheels with 25mm Gatorskins with out any problems, but I don't think you could run much larger tires on these wheels.

Good luck with your decision!