Best 25 mm tubular tire (Opinions)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Keen on hearing your inputs on what is currently the best 25 mm tublars.
Please explain why you think these are the best.

Thanks!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Veloflex Arenberg or Roubaix (same tire). Very subtle ride, lasts quite a long time, is not super expensive and is very easy to mount.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

LionelB wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:55 pm
Veloflex Arenberg or Roubaix (same tire). Very subtle ride, lasts quite a long time, is not super expensive and is very easy to mount.
I can second this. Great tubs.

Geoff

by Geoff

I guess it depends what you want them for.

Personally, I have had good results with the Conti Comps, but others on this Board have reported difficulty mounting Contis in the past. I find that if you strech them out first, they are fine. I have run both latex versions and butyl versions in the past, but I do not think that the latex ones are commercially available. If you don't like pumping-up large-volume tubulars every ride, the butyl option may be for you. Those have the same tread as the regularly-sized Conti Comps, which are quite good for general-purpose riding and racing.

I also really like both of Dugast and FMB tires. Those are true, hand-made tires and they are more expensive. They have a very conventional, old-school road racing tread, which I still find to be the best ever. I have never been dissappointed with either of Dugast or FMB tires after many years of them. As they are actually hand-made (i.e. the treads are glued to the hand-made casings by hand and not vulcanised), they do benefit from storage on a stretching rim to 'age' and harden-up a bit, in my experience. If you don't do that, the treads can be a bit 'sticky' and road debris tends not to fly-off as easily, increasing the likelihood of punctures.

Enjoy!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Geoff wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 pm
If you don't like pumping-up large-volume tubulars every ride, the butyl option may be for you.
Definitely not. I don't like heading out the door already in oxygen debt, so I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1

I got mine for a little less than $100. Best C note I ever spent!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Have only used Carbon (23 mm) as tubular. It's a great ride feel.
I now have Maxxis Campione (25 mm), which are not as refined... not at all to be frank.
I had a few bad cuts in my rear Carbon. I like Schwalbe Pro One to. Also bought Michelin, but i haven't tried these.
Perhaps i should go for a new set of Veloflex, they seem like a safe buy.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been running Vittoria Elite, Corsa Speed-CX, and also Rubino for many years now. I did start out with UNO but was getting many punctures with that one. The Elite and Rubino have butl tubes which dont require daily pumping of the air. They ride quite well and I have not had much for flats and so far this year my only flat was with a clincher. The Corsa series require pumping every ride as they run latex tubes but they ride so much nicer and with only a 100 psi since I am 80kg. The Vittoria mounts easily and that is without stretching the tire. The Elite and Rubino do go onsale regularly for around $40-50 Can out of the UK and the Corsa is onsale for around $55-60. I have tried other tires but always come back to Vittoria.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Another vote for Vittorias. I am using Vittoria Corsa G+ Tubulars and it is the fastest tyre I´ve been riding. No punctures.
Speed G+ are even faster and lighter but wears out easily(lasts maybe 1000km).

jlok

by jlok

+1 to what Roadrocket says.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

+1 to Roadrocket. Been riding on them for 2 years and only thing I have to do is change them due to wear! No punctures so far som I've been happy user.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Priit

by Priit

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm
Keen on hearing your inputs on what is currently the best 25 mm tublars.
Please explain why you think these are the best
Currently, the best you CAN buy for road racing are deffinitely Vittoria Corsas. Very good rolling resistance, good puncture protection, good on wet road.
Continental Competition Pro Ltd's are also as good but they are not available for general public.

The third place is Specialized Turbo Allround 2 tubulars. Very good rolling resistance, good in wet, but personally my experience has been that they have somewhat softer compound that is not as good on chipseal roads due to higher puncture risk.

Then are Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix and Continental Competition (with butyl inner tube) and all those traditional or special tyres from FMB, Dugast, Challenge, Gommitalia. Basically I think they are on par with each other. Different properties, different ride feelings and purposes though. And all other tubulars: Michelin PRO4, Tufo, Schwalbe Pro One HT, Vredestein. They are ok-ish.

But Maxxis makes ok MTB tyres, I've heard...
Last edited by Priit on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Another vote towards the Corsas. Excellent choice and black or tan wall available.
Just ride ..

sungod

by sungod

purely on what i've ridden...

the corsa g+ have slightly better wet grip than the veloflex compound - the dry grip is ok, but not quite as good

the ride is comparable, maybe just a bit plusher on the corsa g+ than veloflex

on wet roads with sharp debris, the corsa g+ cut even worse than the veloflex

the last point is why i gave up on corsa g+, unless you only ride dry or have roads free of sharp bits, they die fast

i find dugast strada rubber a bit grippier than corsa g+ or veloflex, the tyres are heavier though, and they cut badly on wet roads, so again they are a dry ride tyre

conti comps ride horribly and cut badly in the wet

if you ride in the wet, i would go veloflex, but they still cut

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like conti tubs, they just last. Otherwise I have currently Vittoria pave, dugast Paris Roubaix, schwalbe ultermo (veloflex made apparently) and gator skin and competition tubs. Oh I have a pair of gp4000s tubs too. I like them all. Even the Gators kind have there plus points. They won't die even though I want them too.

The paves aremy favourite though. The grips well and are comfortable.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It seems the general consensus has agreed on Vittoria Corsa Graphene and Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix (Black/Tan).
I thought i was going for Arenberg, but i was swayed over to Corsa G+.
Tan was available for a bit better price, but i would have liked Anthracite for sake of vanity and match to Vial EVO.

Honestly i guess both Arenberg and Corsa G+ had been working for me.
Many say Challenge tires are very similar to Veloflex?
Personally i have never rolled on anything feeling better than Veloflex.
It was a long time since i used Vittoria.... i don't remember which tires or how i liked them.
There are many tires i would love to try, but to fully grasp what is what, we'd need like several cloned wheelsets (and all tires glued same same).
Who buys that ;-)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com