Lowest volume road shoes for narrow, shallow feet wanted.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trex

by trex

Hi!

I have low volume and narrow feet. I find most shoes not as snug as I'd like.
Now I have Sidi Wire 46 shoes - all dialas cranked max down and shoe nose still wrinkles.
Anyone have a brand/model that they would recommend? I really need some advice/help on this.

What I tried:
1. Sidi's - as above
2. Specialized Torch 3.0 - quite snug but too loose in the toe and the heel
3. Fizik R1B - too wide, all dialas had to be fastened to the end of the scale
4. Giro Techlace - similar to Fizik R1B

What I have not tried:
S-Works 7?
Diadora?
DMT?
Vittoria?
Garneau?
Mavic?

Thanks.
Have a great day.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Maybe try a thicker/custom insole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have the same problem and my partial solution is custom footbeds which take up some of the volume.

Here are my findings with footbeds.

Giro Prolight Techlace - The Techlaces have to pulled progressively more from toe to collar. The Techlace closest to the collar is less than half attached to the Velcro.

Giro Factor Techlace - The Techlaces don’t have to pulled as tight. In fact, the one closest to the toebox is barely pulled at all. The one closer to the Boa dial is pulled just right. The Boa has to be turned so much the tabs touch each other.

Giro Empire SLX - This probably fit me best...in fact I had to buy a half size larger. The laces have to be a little tight near the ankle, but not the rest.

Gaerne G.Stilo+ - The Boas have to be cinched down very tight, but it’s acceptable.

Another thing you can do is be very careful about what socks you buy. Some brands are definitely thicker than others.

alex1987

by alex1987

Was going to suggest Hanseeno, then I looked them up, realised they're $2k and sold out...! :lol:
Back in my box..! :D

velomane

by velomane

My feet are similar to the OP's. As others have stated, the solution for me was insoles to take up some of the volume.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

bont narrow
hard hard to find
narrowet than my s works 6
like my sub6

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

romanmoser wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 pm
bont narrow
hard hard to find
narrowet than my s works 6
like my sub6
Yeah what romanmoser said. I purchased a set of Bont Vaypor S in a 44 and normally I wear 43.5 in most everything and 43 in Northwave (best fitting shoe for me) and the Bont was by far the narrowest shoe I have worn and I dont consider my feet wide (110mm). The length was okay (276mm) but I couldnt wear them for more than 1/2 hr. You can order the Bont in a narrow or and wide but takes forever to get. The shoe on the shelf is there regular fit. If you go to there site they have a procedure for shoe sizing. There is a huge thread on this site called, "Bont shoes" I would recommend reading some of it and if you are inclined to purchase a pair try them on cause they are not your normal sizing whatsoever.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wouldn’t hurt to try. I tried Bonts and the bathtub sole didn’t work for me. It felt really strange in the heel.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I dont know if all the Bonts have the same shape in the sole but for me it doesnt work either. That was an expensive mistake for me but I did sale them in the end. The Vaypor is a beautiful shoe though.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I may have the same problem as the OP and not realize it. I have the Sidi Wire and I need to really tightened it to make it feel snug. Perhaps not as bad as the OP but I do have small and narrow feet. The attached pic shows creasing on the front of the shoe. I might try adding a second insole and see how it feels. I never paid any attention to the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psycling

by psycling

I'm in the same boat. I wear a US14 in a B width with very low height or volume to my foot. I've tried lots of options and nothing was great. Insoles help, but often leave the heal slipping or the toe hitting the top of the shoe. In the end, I purchased custom shoes and never looked back. They fit perfectly and I can ride comfortably for hours and hours. Mine are purchased from D2 back around 2010 and they are still going strong. Don Lamson is the person that worked with me on the shoes. He is now making shoes via https://lamsoncycling.com/.

ipaul

by ipaul

Similar issue, my solution has been slipping a Dr. Shoals thin air cushion insole under my preferred or stock insole. Reduces the volume but maintains the length. Not ideal but given how difficult it is find a good fit, it works.
:P

trex

by trex

Thanks guys! What thicker/custom insoles do you recommend?
I did some quick research and found that: https://www.footbalance.com/custom-insoles/performance but it still looks thin:(

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Sidi used to build the Genius in a Narrow version. They are brilliant. They were only sold in the US and I think they are discontinued now, but you May still find them on Ebay or Amazon.

Then there's Luck: https://luck-bike.es/en/ They build custom fit shoes for truly incredible prices. Selected dealers can even 3D-scan your feet. Haven't tried them yet, but I Just might in the future.

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

I have a very similar issue. I have B width feet, 295mm long, so US12/EU46 ish.

Northwave make their Extreme model in a 'slim' fit which has been great for me.

Previously I'd worn Shimano, Specialized, Gaerne, Lake, Bontrager, Sidi, Giro, DMT, Garneau, Mavic. I bottomed out on whatever fastening mechanism was used and the toe box would start to pinch.

I was in a Specialized shop recently and stood on their foot arch detector for insoles. It suggested the blue++ insole. So I tried it in a pair of S-Works shoes. They made the difference for fit over the stock red+ insolves. I now actually use them in preference over the Northwave as they're overall a nicer shoe.