Bike route finder app

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
dgasmd

by dgasmd

I have used Mapmyride in the past to find routes in Europe when traveling there from the US. Not having a lot of luck with it looking for routes in Argentina and Chile.

Can anyone here suggest one??

alex1987

by alex1987

Komoot I find is consistently the best route planning app out there. Paired with the odd sneek on Google maps for cross reference it works an absolute charm and generates turn by turn directions for your Garmin/Wahoo

by Weenie

NickJHP

by NickJHP

On my phone I use Locus with Brouter as the navigation data source, and cross-load the GPX files it generates to my Garmin. Works a treat. I just spent the last five weeks cycling across Switzerland, Germany, and Austria, generating the routes each evening to get to our next day's destination. You can pick different profiles for the route generation depending on whether you want the shortest route regardless of traffic volumes, the quietest route, the one that avoids hill, the one that goes over hills, etc.

There's also a Brouter desktop web-based client from which you can export GPX routes for loading on GPS: http://brouter.de/brouter-web. It's quite interesting to pick your start point, destination, and then choose different profiles from the drop-down menu to see the different routes that are chosen.

RyanH

by RyanH

When I travel for work, I generally check Strava heatmaps to see where I should ride. It's not perfect but generally the more traveled roads should be better/safer ones.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check those out.

by Weenie

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

GPSies

Check it out