N+1, a cry for help?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wintershade

by wintershade

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm
I think you could combine (3) and (6) .. adventure bikes are already a degree of so more slack.. so it will be just another wheelset to buy instead of a whole bike. It will obviously help if (3) is 2x not 1x if those endurance ride/fondo have alot of climbing. I built my Parlee Zero XD with this in mind.. so I do road fondos and do things like BWR too.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Combining bikes is ideal, as I live in San Francsico where storage space is at a premium. Unfortunately, the Enigma frame is already completed, and it's rim brake with 30c max clearance, so not as versatle as I'd like.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

that's one thing I'm really trying to do as I turn over all my bikes going from rim to disc is think long term and minimize. The Parlee XD was the first choice as my all around bike. My TT is still rim brake ( BMC TM01) and it still has my only rim brake wheelset of any real value. I will go disc with the TT bike as well and share wheels with whatever aero disc bike I end up buying.

by Weenie

Miller

by Miller

What I like about this topic is that my five bikes (for me, not including those for other family members, obv) suddenly seem quite moderate and restrained. All rideable too.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ your welcome. ;)

AJS914

by AJS914

wintershade wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:27 pm
5) For summer home / island bike, also something afforable, but tradtional/stylish. Maybe the Ritchy Road Logic, and certainly nothing more than Potenza + Zonda's woudl work here.

One thing I'm uncertain about is bikes 4 + 5. I'm trying to figure out which makes sense to keep at the summer home (an island of coast of Maine, about a paved 5 mile loop around perimeter). I like the idea of the Road Logic, but would lighly maintained modern stainless steel bike only ridden 5-10x year hold up well to the salty air of an island?
It's not like you are going to store it outside. I'm sure it would be fine. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with another bike to ride 5-10 time per year. Since you are a triathlete you could just concentrate on running around your 5 mile loop or swimming in the ocean.

wintershade

by wintershade

The issue is sometimes I’ll go to the island for up to 2 consecutive weeks in the summer, sometimes right in the middle of a big pre-race build where it would be hard to take a 1-2 week break from cycling. For example this year I was there for week T-4 and T-3 weeks before my priority A Ironman.

But at any rate, in terms of the all in cost of maintaining a summer house on an Island in Maine, the cost of the bike is a drop in the bucket. It’s just a matter of what I want there.