New Specialized SHIV Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Screenshot_20181009-071918_resized.png

simurs4

by simurs4

It's certainly very interesting looking! Thats one way to put it. That fork is pretty immense though, its like they had excess downtubes hanging around so thought they'd whip up a fork using them.
I don't think I will ever be convinced that discs belong on a TT bike, road bikes are no problem but just on TT bikes they are completely pointless to me.
One day you will probably never be able to buy a rim brake TT bike anymore, that will be sad.
I couldn't watch the video with sound but I would gather this is a TRI specific Shiv, I can't see that fork being UCI compliant, surely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

That looks amazing.. That fairing/fin/flap/stabiliser looks to be removable?
With it on for tri? Without for uci?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mrlobber

by mrlobber

UCI illegal because seatstays are too low. And it probably isn't as fast as P5 / Speed Concept anyway, thus no point racing one in TTs.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Ugly imho and the stays are too low to be UCI legal, so kind of worthless to me. It's a tri-only thing.

sychen

by sychen

Good pint forgot about it... Bikeradar have a article on it... Tri only limited edition 500only for now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MRM

by MRM

Pinarello Bolide Tri coming out tomorrow as well.

Roel W

by Roel W

http://racefietsblog.nl/nieuwe-speciali ... iets-ooit/

Next Saturday it's Ironman WC Kona. I think we'll see some more new TT end tri bikes being released the next days.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If aero really "truly is eveything", especially in a race like Kona, there would absolutely 100% not be disc brakes on this bike. But did you hear what they said about the discs on this bike in the video. Go ahead, listen to it again if you think you missed it. Or let me save you the re-listen... they said nothing, nada, zero, not one iota about choosing to put disc brakes on a bike that is designed solely around aero on the most prestigious ironman course in the world, Kona. While full on rear disc (not brakes) wheels are not allowed in Kona due to the crosswinds, those same crosswinds should be even more of a factor when considering adding the cross sectional area of disc brake rotors to the wheels. Yet, they choose to put discs on this bike. Why?... perhaps aero isn't everything, and sales count more, which of course they do. But they want to promote disc brakes for everything, even when there are clear disadvantages in certain situaions, like this very specific application. Bike technology in recent years is largely improving in relatively small increments over time, some good, some not so good, but bike marketing on the other hand has taken off exponentially. A bit out of control at this point. But to their credit, the team on the video never missed a single teleprompter word. Good for them.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrlobber

by mrlobber

MRM wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm
Pinarello Bolide Tri coming out tomorrow as well.
Yet another 14k+ EUR bike.

Or, given that the existing Bolide was already 12k (vs other high end TT bikes being below 10k), this one might reach a new price reference point - 20k EUR :lol:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Roel W

by Roel W

Disc brakes don't influence the steering of the bike that much, even with crosswinds. That's because they are rather close to the hub. If that would be the case, large sprockets should also not be used on tri bikes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Roel W wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm
Disc brakes don't influence the steering of the bike that much, even with crosswinds. That's because they are rather close to the hub. If that would be the case, large sprockets should also not be used on tri bikes.
Not even talking about the steering effects, simply the negative effect on aero, and it is negative. So what, you ask... well, here they are claiming to be attempting to squeeze every last bit of aeroness from this frame, and then they go put disc brakes on it. Also pretty hard to claim that discs will make them faster on the downhills in this case. How much do you think the brakes are even being used at Kona, or most tri courses for that matter. I've ridden the big island on a regular bike, and while we did a lot of the Kona course, what I don't recall is having to use the brakes a whole lot.
And don't get me started on massive cassettes on road bikes, I've joked in the past that the only reason I can see for those is to hide the ugliness of the huge rotor on the other side. But that's another topic entirely.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I find amusing that bike manufacturers cheerfully announce a watt save of 1 to 2, or little more, whenever a new (disc brake) bike is announced.
Yet, when it come to discs vs rim brakes, they like to say the aero/ watt loss is “neglectable”...

Broady

by Broady

I'm guessing the watts saved by this fork design far outweigh bodging a caliper that barely works on there just to cater for technologically averse people. If there's one thing I know about Triathletes, it's that they love (expensive) tech.

dcorn

by dcorn

Broady wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm
I'm guessing the watts saved by this fork design far outweigh bodging a caliper that barely works on there just to cater for technologically averse people. If there's one thing I know about Triathletes, it's that they love (expensive) tech.
Bingo.

For those of you bitching about the disc brakes (those who will never buy this bike, nor a disc bike, but continue to bitch about it in every thread), how about taking into consideration more than just the disc rotor itself. Without relying on the wheel rim for braking, wheel designers can use different carbon layups, different resins, and different rim shapes to make the wheels lighter and more aero. We can run bigger tires to make the ride more comfortable and with less rolling resistance. For aero, the fork crown can be much smaller in frontal area and won't have a rim brake bolted to the front of it to disturb the air before the fork/frame. Hell, the flat mount calipers are hidden behind the fork and inside the rear triangle anyway, so they aren't affecting airflow much. And brake manufacturers haven't even begun to shape disc calipers to improve aero or use exotic materials to reduce weight. Just wait until they have magnesium calipers and carbon rotors.

But no, you guys stay with your inefficient brakes that were designed more than half a century ago. And make sure to keep whining about new disc bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com