Trek Madone SLR stem/handlebar on a Trek Madone 9 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erwin

by Erwin

Are there any new informations about this topic?
@bruno2000: Do u have found a solution or gave u back the SLR parts?

tsafur

by tsafur

Any updates? I want to change my Trek madone RSL 9.9 bar/stem combo for the TREK Madone RSL speed bar stem aerobar combo.

I have Enve SES aero bar with aero bar attached on another bike, but the aero bars and pad are too low. Wanting something that is more adjustable at the pads for higher pad height. Any suggestion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwin

by Erwin

Yes, I have done it. But it was not plug & play and have put some effort in it. Now it is working fine and looks even better than the original Madone 9 stem/bar combo in my opinion. I have to search for pictures and can give you a look if you are interested.

tsafur

by tsafur

Erwin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 pm
Yes, I have done it. But it was not plug & play and have put some effort in it. Now it is working fine and looks even better than the original Madone 9 stem/bar combo in my opinion. I have to search for pictures and can give you a look if you are interested.
Yes, Very interested.

I have access to the SLR stem and handlebar. I will go to the Trek store and buy some SLR stem spacers and bottom stem mount(best to use SLR stem spacers, correct?).
Anything else needed?

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Erwin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 pm
Very curious how you made this work...

The Madone 9 series can't fit the Madone SLR bar/stem combo properly. I assume you ran the universal setup on your 9 that allows something other than the integrated setup? Maybe give us some pictures.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

Erwin

by Erwin

MitchatTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

The Madone 9 series can't fit the Madone SLR bar/stem combo properly. I assume you ran the universal setup on your 9 that allows something other than the integrated setup? Maybe give us some pictures.
I already said I have put some effort in it. :smartass: Certainly for the integrated SLR handlebar, look at the topic.
I have to search for the pictures.
Here are some of the bike...

ImageImage ImageImageImage

Edit: Here are some pictures from building the upper bearing cover.

Unmodified SLR cover:

Modifying:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Original Madone 9:
ImageImage

Adapter for standard stem:
ImageImage

Modified SLR upper bearing cover (stack decreases about 6mm in opposite to original cover) sits nearly flush to the frame:
ImageImage

the 3 side by side:

First ride: 100mm -7° SLR stem, 380mm SLR handlebar
The new SLR handlebar fits me perfect and the Madone 9 rides nearly nice with it!

Notice: The SLR spacers have to be adjusted too! But I don't need any.

gbrnole

by gbrnole

Erwin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:14 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

I already said I have put some effort in it. :smartass: Certainly for the integrated SLR handlebar, look at the topic.
I have to search for the pictures.
Here are some of the bike...

ImageImage ImageImageImage

Edit: Here are some pictures from building the upper bearing cover.

Unmodified SLR cover:

Modifying:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Original Madone 9:
ImageImage

Adapter for standard stem:
ImageImage

Modified SLR upper bearing cover (stack decreases about 6mm in opposite to original cover) sits nearly flush to the frame:
ImageImage

the 3 side by side:

First ride: 100mm -7° SLR stem, 380mm SLR handlebar
The new SLR handlebar fits me perfect and the Madone 9 rides nearly nice with it!

Notice: The SLR spacers have to be adjusted too! But I don't need any.
excellent job! especially with the color match on the modified part. I have a rage red Madone SLR and can get close but not that precise.

How do you find the 380mm bar width? I have traditionally ran 40cm bars (really like my Easton EC70 in 40cm) but my SLR came equipped with 42cm. Thought I'd be fine with that width but not a huge fan. Like the shape and flare of the SLR bar otherwise.

Erwin

by Erwin

Thank you for the compliment.
I like the SLR bar very much. It is perfect for me. Nice transition for Shimano DI2 STIs, really c-c 380mm wide and c-c 400mm in the drops. I also like the slightly bigger reach. But I am also used to Aeronova bars though.
Unfortunate I can't compare it to the Madone 9 bar. I bought the Madone 9, immediately started the conversion and have sold the original 100/440 bar. I didn't want to destroy my first impressions with a total mismatching bar.

Jenner

by Jenner

Hi Erwin

This looks really nice. I just got a Madone 9, ex pro team bike. It came with the new bar/stem combo, and I didn't notice the mismatch until a bit later. It runs fine, as you know, but doesn't look as elegant as it could. I really like your solution, but am also not very confident in terms of getting a good result. However, I'd love to pay for a cover created by a skilled artisan such as yourself, so - do you need a corona quarantime time killing project?
:-)

Jens

Jenner

by Jenner

Hi Erwin

This looks really nice. I just got a Madone 9, ex pro team bike. It came with the new bar/stem combo, and I didn't notice the mismatch until a bit later. It runs fine, as you know, but doesn't look as elegant as it could. I really like your solution, but am also not very confident in terms of getting a good result. However, I'd love to pay for a cover created by a skilled artisan such as yourself, so - do you need a corona quarantime time killing project?
:-)

Jens