Quarq DZero problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raggi

by raggi

Hi, been having an issue with my Quarq DZero power meter crankset the last few months and wanted to check if anyone here had experienced something similar.

I've got two of these cranksets that I've been using on various different bikes over the last ~1.5 years. I recently started using one of the on an Open U.P. with a 386Evo bottom bracket, and every few rides it starts to come loose; almost like it doesn't handle the bumpiness of gravel/cx.. Whats more is that this Image cap here in the middle of the spider (the one with the four holes on it) comes loose as well and even pops out. (spent about 45minutes looking for it on the side of the road once.. that was fun :lol: )

I don't know if it's to do with my particular bb/crank setup, the newer bb30 quarq cranksets should be long enough for bb386 afaik, or if it's simply a problem with my particular crankset.. Any one have any ideas?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On my DFour the torque spec. on that bolt is 54NM. Make sure you have enough torque on that bolt. I use an 8mm to 1/2" drive hex socket along with an automotive torque wrench to tighten that bolt. If you just using a 8mm hex key that won't put enough torque on the bolt. As for the big nut with four small holes, that nut is not meant to be removed. From the factory it should have plenty of loc-tite on that nut. You might try using loc-tite on that nut and make sure it's as tight as you can get it on using a spanner.
Lastly sometimes the aluminum bolt (one with the 54NM spec.) can crack. I've seen it happen before. Check the bolt for any cracks. Try it out and report back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggi

by raggi

Awesome, thanks! I will look into those things.

raggi

by raggi

Update, got an answer back from Quarq (really fast and awesome customer service btw), that suggested basically the same as pdlpsher1, check the bolt and use loctite on the nut.

Did all that and stumbled upon this: https://quarq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... stallation , which I did not have when originally setting it up.

Still have to put it through it's paces to see whether or not it falls to pieces again, but the installation using the suggested spacers went _a lot_ smoother.